Articles Writers support group.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Having trouble with your article? Need help getting it published? Just want to bounce ideas around with other forum users? This is the thread for you.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh cool this is a good idea. Is it possible to 'review' someone's unpublished article to give them advice?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Oh cool this is a good idea. Is it possible to 'review' someone's unpublished article to give them advice?

Yes it is possible, but the author has to give you the link. When you are looking at the preview of your article, you can share that link and people can see the preview just as the author sees it.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Woo! Does this mean I'm famous yet? :p

Soon, very soon. First you'll have to do an article on how you write your forum threads, with updated first posts, then how you transfer it to the article section.

THEN you'll be famous!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just geting started on my first article and have been looking around for tips. Read FM's article and found my way here. I have a couple build threads going for my designs. Nerdnic's format for posting forum builds and articles is the 'gold' standard that I have been trying to follow. Thanks for the inspiration.

rcspaceflight

Just geting started on my first article and have been looking around for tips. Read FM's article and found my way here. I have a couple build threads going for my designs. Nerdnic's format for posting forum builds and articles is the 'gold' standard that I have been trying to follow. Thanks for the inspiration.

Try to think of the articles you've read and what you thought was "missing" from them. Example: a lot of people seem to be missing what power set up they used on a design. And a lot of people don't list wing loading, wing span, and other specs.

I just submitted an article and I know it's not up to a lot of peoples standard, that said there has been a surfeit of articles published lately that are of no interest to me. I try to find some value in all the published articles even if it reveals what knowledge the person lacks, and hopefully someone will pick up the ball to educate and improve that knowledge. My 10 meg service only uploads at about 2 meg, so a 15min video takes 6 to 8 hrs to upload to youtube then another hr for them to process then 30 min or so to place it in "Q" for approvable. The only way for me to upload is to start after my family has gone to bed then I have to wakeup periodically to check to see if for some reason the feed is dropped (watch out for MS updates). Without our content FliteTest is dead ,Josh and peeps would be back on Youtube . FliteTest provides a concentration of videos that are of interest to a relatively small group (RC'S).The best of my video's have only garnered 9000 views and I don't have Youtube beating a path to my door with sponsorship. Lately it seems that the amount of published videos has dried up, maybe due to the weather or maybe because they aren't up to someone's standard.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Fred might be able to offer some numbers but I feel like since moving the articles off the homepage (after the site redesign) there is less traffic through the article section. A featured article used to be on the front page of flitetest.com, now it's a sub page. Less traffic means less views and less interest to contribute.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm sorry, my reading comprehension might not be fully awake yet, but I am not quite sure I understand what you're asking. I'm going to break it up to try to better understand what you're trying to share.

I just submitted an article and I know it's not up to a lot of peoples standard, that said there has been a surfeit of articles published lately that are of no interest to me.

If there's a fault in published articles, that falls on me. As the sole person responsible at the moment for saying yea or nay on approvals anything that is "sub par" is because I let it through.

I try to find some value in all the published articles even if it reveals what knowledge the person lacks, and hopefully someone will pick up the ball to educate and improve that knowledge.

I have been working with authors to try to improve what content they are sharing. What I'd like to see is more submissions that are like what you'd find in a magazine. Hence the title "Articles" section. I would love more informative ones, and fewer "Hey look I went flying today" video posts, which was what most of the submissions were. There's still a misunderstanding I think with most people, as to what the articles area is really meant for.

My 10 meg service only uploads at about 2 meg, so a 15min video takes 6 to 8 hrs to upload to youtube then another hr for them to process then 30 min or so to place it in "Q" for approvable. The only way for me to upload is to start after my family has gone to bed then I have to wakeup periodically to check to see if for some reason the feed is dropped (watch out for MS updates).

If I am reading his correctly, what you're trying to express is that when you contribute, it's at a cost to you, time wise.

Without our content FliteTest is dead ,Josh and peeps would be back on Youtube.

Ok, you're losing me here. This is not meant as sarcasm, I really am unsure where you're going with this.

FliteTest provides a concentration of videos that are of interest to a relatively small group (RC'S).The best of my video's have only garnered 9000 views and I don't have Youtube beating a path to my door with sponsorship.

I'm still unsure.

Lately it seems that the amount of published videos has dried up, maybe due to the weather or maybe because they aren't up to someone's standard.

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but the best I can guess from how this post was written, you are upset with the current content in the article section most of it is not interesting to you. You invest quite a bit of time in your content, and Flite Test is dependent on such content to stay relevant. You point out a lack of video views and a corresponding lack of sponsorship, but I am not sure how that is connected. You point out there's fewer videos, and question why that is.

I'm still left unsure if this is a statement, or a question. Is this post meant to tell us something, or ask us something?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ahhhhh! Now I get it. Ok John I went and checked and saw what it is you were trying to convey.

You're submitting videos only. The articles section is not a "video" section. It is an online magazine. The videos submitted are meant to supplement the text and images of the article.

Take ANY Flite Test episode as an example. You will see while they post a link to the episode's video, they also take the time to use stills from the video, and include text that even if the video link did not work, the reader would still understand what the author was trying to express.

Your most recent submission, if the video link failed, would the reader have any value in the content you were sharing? That is what we're trying to avoid.

Your video is welcome, but create your article so that the video adds to the content, but isn't the sole content.

Hopefully this clears it up for you.

rcspaceflight

sailorJohn, I've watched most of your videos/articles and you do contribute some great information. But it sounds like you'd be far better off writing out the article instead of doing a video. Take a few photos to show what you mean, but don't rely on a video only. Until a year ago I had dial up and had to go to the library to watch any video. Where as text and photos I could see at home. Your slow internet speed won't be an issue if you're just uploading some photos. And I strongly recommend writing the article out on a word processor program because the Flite Test article submission screen doesn't always save correctly.