Aura 5 Lite adhesive square looses adhesion in locations with high humidity! Watch out! Secure it with something else!

jerryn

I ran into an issue with the maiden flight of my Voluntex Ranger 1600 using the Aura 5 lite stabilizer. I used the provided double sided sticky square.
Cut out the notch for the surface mounted capacitor. Stuck the Aura 5 on the top electronics deck of mt Ranger 1400. It stuck well.
towards the end of the flight it appeared that that the Aura 5 lite board broke free of the mount, I dropped to non stabilized mode and attempted to level the plane while on approach, but it was too late. I tipped the left wing into the gound.

My wife launched the airplane so you don't see any video until she got back to the bench.
I don't have a camera in it for FPV because I wanted to make sure she was a stable flyer first.
Has anyone mounted a Aura 5 lite in an airplane with plywood decks ? It appears when the Aura 5 lite heats up during use it breaks down the adhesive of the adhesive square and eventually when you start playing around like I did the board will break loose.

Here's what I have of the flight video. When she was flying it was flying great.
I wish I could of saved the landing, I dropped in to non gyro mode too late. I used some foam tac, patched the wing tip, bent the wing spar rod back to almost straight with a vice. I put it back together using scotch outdoor double sided adhesive tape to secure the Aura 5 lite. I am not sure if it's going to be adequate. I really needs to be screwed down.

Spitfire76

I ran into an issue with the maiden flight of my Voluntex Ranger 1600 using the Aura 5 lite stabilizer. I used the provided double sided sticky square.
Cut out the notch for the surface mounted capacitor. Stuck the Aura 5 on the top electronics deck of mt Ranger 1400. It stuck well.
towards the end of the flight it appeared that that the Aura 5 lite board broke free of the mount, I dropped to non stabilized mode and attempted to level the plane while on approach, but it was too late. I tipped the left wing into the gound.

My wife launched the airplane so you don't see any video until she got back to the bench.
I don't have a camera in it for FPV because I wanted to make sure she was a stable flyer first.
Has anyone mounted a Aura 5 lite in an airplane with plywood decks ? It appears when the Aura 5 lite heats up during use it breaks down the adhesive of the adhesive square and eventually when you start playing around like I did the board will break loose.

Here's what I have of the flight video. When she was flying it was flying great.
I wish I could of saved the landing, I dropped in to non gyro mode too late. I used some foam tac, patched the wing tip, bent the wing spar rod back to almost straight with a vice. I put it back together using scotch outdoor double sided adhesive tape to secure the Aura 5 lite. I am not sure if it's going to be adequate. I really needs to be screwed down.

That's too bad. I'm currently looking into mounting options at the moment and came across this 3d printable mount that would allow you to screw it down. I printed it from the stl file that they provide.

https://www.flexinnovations.com/product/ft-aura-5-lite-3d-printed-mount/

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jerryn

I fixed the wing with good old Foam Tac. A friend at my r/c club had a carbon fiber spar that I was able to cut to length and replace the thin steel spar. I secured the Aura Lite 5 with Scotch outdoor double sided tape and a small drop of CA glue on each corner. It's very secure.
The flight at the field today was AWESOME. I took off in 6 axis stabilized mode, dropped to manual mode at around 300ft. Did loops, rolls, 90 degree climb and cut throttle to stall it, dove , went in to a loop, engaged the stablizer in 6-axis mode.. WOW.. it was flying on rails.
It will be a very stable platform for shooting video. I dropped down to 50ft, flew around the field and cut throttle when I was about 50ft away from my clubs airfield.. wow. It was great.

I'm going to limit the throws for the 3-axis and 6-axis stabilized modes. Right now I have it at 70 and 75. Since the fuselage is long I am going to drop the aileron throws to 50, 55. and drop the elevator throws too. For non stabilized mode I have the throws at 100.

I'm impressed with the Aura 5. My Strix Nano Goblin really flies well with it and I just about have the Volantex Ranger 1400 dialed in perfect.
What are you installing your Aura 5 in ?

jerryn

The second flight went great! I am going to reduce the throws when in 6-axis and 3-axis stabilized mode. I dropped to manual mode, did a stall, loop and back to stabilized mode with no "hickup".. It flew great! I installed an old FPV setup from the Optera 1.2m that I destoryed in a crash just to see how stable the platform would be for some aerophotography. The results were good. The video isn't clean here because it's a jerry rigged setup. I plan on installing a RunCam after the third flight with the replaced 3d printed wing locks and carbon fiber wing spar.

During the loop the pressure on the wing finished off the right wing lock. When I noticed the wing flex was more than normal I landed the airplane.

I really like this airplane. Once I get a Dragonlink or TBS crossfire installed in it this will be a nice platform for sloping and riding thermals.