Aviation Design's Diamond 70mm EDF - Plans and Build

Chuppster

Can't find the proper emoji so..... "Droool!"

Okay - I can find the emoji for this one - :unsure: - because I have never build a 90mm version and have no idea where you might have seen it!

All that being said, I would love to see what this thing would do with a 90mm on 6S. So if you can send me the specs for the EDF and battery (interested in dimensions and weight or a link to the products with this info) I will see what it would take to shoehorn the 90mm into the current frame or scale it up by 5 or 10 % if needed.

I'm working on a final set of plans now (still need a couple of tweaks to make the build a little more user friendly), the I want to build a version according to those plans just to make sure everything is good, then I will post them (probably in a new build thread). This will take a couple of weeks but this is a good time to see what tweaks are needed for the 90mm.

DamoRC

p.s. - welcome back? seems like we have not seen much of you lately?

I believe HobbyKing sold a 90mm version at one time or another. Ah, here it is. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-skysword-1200mm-blue-edf-pnf.html

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
p.s. - welcome back? seems like we have not seen much of you lately?

Thanks - the Prep for FFE and whirlwind of life that followed (vacations, family visits, and being asked to Direct a 1st annual District-Wide Cub Scout STEM event, in 7 weeks) has pulled me away from here, and reduced flying to ready planes only. I needed the break. (It got pretty silly) but as I come back around, I'm getting excited again. I saw the 90mm and assoc. ESC and battery for a reasonable price. before I knew it, It was ordered... :rolleyes::giggle:

I have a ridiculous number of projects I want to get moving...my work schedule has shifted. reducing my time for planes... and school has restarted leaving less time needing division between flying and building. that will change because, as the say:
game-of-thrones-wall.png

I say all that to say this. - It's good to be back and I'm looking forward to big successes this year

I will also be doing 2019 Build-Ruary again. That was fun madness. (I still owe you a trophy for it.) and Do a longer April Showers.
-FoamyDM

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I believe HobbyKing sold a 90mm version at one time or another. Ah, here it is. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/h-king-skysword-1200mm-blue-edf-pnf.html

Yep - that could be it. They also have started to do a 70mm version which is ballpark the same size as the one I build except its all up weight it 4 pounds where as mine typically come in a a little over 2.

Thanks - the Prep for FFE and whirlwind of life that followed (vacations, family visits, and being asked to Direct a 1st annual District-Wide Cub Scout STEM event, in 7 weeks) has pulled me away from here, and reduced flying to ready planes only. I needed the break. (It got pretty silly) but as I come back around, I'm getting excited again.

I will also be doing 2019 Build-Ruary again. That was fun madness. (I still owe you a trophy for it.) and Do a longer April Showers.
-FoamyDM

Yep - life gets in the way - Good to have you back. Man - another Build-Ruary? I'll have to hibernate to be ready for that again!

DamoRC

druide

finally I build one a 47" wing span with some mod adapted to a pusher version and successfully maiden:cool:
I will thank you for sharing this, the plan is made with a genius brain and I respect the effort you put to making this foam board version.
I build and fly many plane but this is the easyest model, a little bit difficult to lunch lonely but I have some friendly help.
i post other pic and video later

5 mm depron build
no rudder
1900g weight
400w emax with 11x5,5
some coroplast to mage it strong
IMG_20180915_105935.jpg
IMG_20180915_105924.jpg
IMG_20180915_105917.jpg
IMG_20180915_105858.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! Thanks for sharing @druide - its nice to see pusher version because that's what I started out with. The finish looks really good - did you tape it?

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Good to know that a pusher will work. Looking for to the plans you are working on - hopefully you’ll include a pusher option.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Good to know that a pusher will work. Looking for to the plans you are working on - hopefully you’ll include a pusher option.

Great minds think alike (etc about the fools).

I had not thought about the pusher option but seeing those great pics from @druide reminded me that this used to be a nice pusher model. So when I ultimately get this 2018 version up and running with respect to plans / new build pics etc - it will include a pusher option.

DamoRC

druide

Cool! Thanks for sharing @druide - its nice to see pusher version because that's what I started out with. The finish looks really good - did you tape it?

DamoRC
hi
yes I use a vinyl to cover a depron, very useful for belly landing for me, for this propeller version I delete the fan inlet and close the outlet with a depron and put a epp piece to extend the fuselage juste to free the propeller.
just a correction a motor is emax 2815/06 480w 1280kv
6170-Brand-New-Original-EMAX-GT2815-06-1280KV-Brushless-Motor-for-RC-Aircraft-Toys-Part-3.jpg

I added more info for the maiden I forgot to start my timer on the radio and I kill the battery, they caussed a electrical blackout and crash on the nose, before that on the field same day a repair the diamond with lot of tape and fly it again like a charme no change flight caracterestic and made a perfect landing for more straight I put a double wall in a bottom part with coroplast long from the nose to motor mont I know this is mere weight but can save your work from 30 feet and crash directly on the ground, I will repair It for esthetic and fly again soon.
IMG_20180915_190212.jpg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
How bad was the roll torque on the prop version? did you adjust the thrust angle?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
How bad was the roll torque on the prop version? did you adjust the thrust angle?

I'll be interested to hear what @druide experience was, especially with the 11 inch prop (I think all my pusher stuff was with 9 x 6). Below are the vids of the earlier pusher versions. I don't recall a huge problem with torque roll. Trees seemed to be more of a problem (last 10 seconds of the second video will give you a laugh). No thrust angles were set for the motor - just mounted straight.

First pusher prototype, Dec 2014 (Man - its almost 4 years since I started this thing!)

Updated Pusher in March 2015

And later that month...

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
I’m first in line to build the pusher version. Never realized you had built that first and I never had an EDF large enough.

druide

I don't notice any torc just flight straight, maybe you see it not stable do to a hight angle lunch but it's ok the plane can be setup with a pusher but I advise to not a hight pitch of propeller like me use a similar setup, the size of the prop but just Hal pitch to get the power and low torc, dont use a setup like 11x7 or 8 in this cas I a sure to kill to plane in takeoff or recovery especially wen you have a big setup.

for the angle I advice a neutral angle but you can change itto negative because the motor is on top of the low wing, try to referred your leading edge, do not go near the center of gravity, in this case the plane go up and give you a down trim after that you can't land'it safe, glide or fly inverted.

motor-angle.jpg

there is the maiden I will try to film the landing

another time thank you DamoRC

Muquacksa

Hello!
I am thinking of scratching this EDF Jet and I would like to ask, what would I need if I where to completely scratchbuild this ( including servo mounts, landing gear mounts and electronics )?
Thanks in advance!