Aviation Design's Diamond - Updated Plans and Build

jpot1

Elite member
Taped on the esc and temporarily attached the motor and a 3s 2200 will balance when the rear of the battery is touching the front of the hatch cutout. I’ll shift my hatch forward.

PoorManRC

Master member
You're doing the analog version of "Rapid Prototyping"!!! :p(y)(y)

That's how I have to do it..... My CAD skills aren't worth a Nickel!! lol :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO::D:ROFLMAO:
If it doesn't work - modify! On the Spot. Foam Board is great to work with.

jpot1

Elite member
Suggested control surface throws? Did the canopy yesterday - a thing of beauty. Tonight hopefully do the hatch and be ready for a maiden this weekend.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Suggested control surface throws? Did the canopy yesterday - a thing of beauty. Tonight hopefully do the hatch and be ready for a maiden this weekend.

Cool!

Elevator max throw is ~30 degrees and I pretty much leave it at high rates all the time, needs the leverage to get that long nose to turn around.

Ailerons max throw is ~20 degrees and I normally fly at 50% rates for the ailerons.

Have 40% expo on both.

Tjhochha

That plane is gorgeous. Very well done. It makes me realize how much more refinement I have to do on my P2V I designed.

jpot1

Elite member
Moved the hatch forward a bit and everything balances nicely with a 3s 2200. Chopped the nose at an angle since I didn’t get the point to work well. Reminds me a bit of the Battlestar Gallactica fighter nose - kinda like it. 650g with the battery.

5BC48A57-A825-4B0A-BAB8-DD679402C5A3.jpeg

390A4A7D-6BFB-4468-B5E2-C09882E835CF.jpeg

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Need to hook up the ailerons and then will give the wing pods a try. May try to carve them out of pink foam depending on how much a pain beveling each of this fingers becomes. :)

jpot1

Elite member
Brilliant! So happy that she flew well for you.

What was your all up weight?
650g

I used a Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop and a 2200 3s to balance. I could have used a little more speed. What motor were you using on the yours?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
650g

I used a Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop and a 2200 3s to balance. I could have used a little more speed. What motor were you using on the yours?

650g (23oz) is nice and light - my EDF versions are typically in the 32oz (900g) region.

Initially I was using an NTM 2826 1200Kv with 9x6 props on 3S (2200mAh). I think the most powerful pusher motor I had was the NTM 2836 2300kv with a 5 or 6 inch prop on 4S.

jpot1

Elite member
@DamoRC - anything special to get the clean lines in your paint job? Just mask it off and spray over then peel for the white areas?