Baby Baron - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Baby Baron is going to have a new adversary. Introducing the Baby Brit!

13035595_1184004844967803_422105772_o.jpg

More details will be forthcoming.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Does it require down thrust and right thrust, or perfectly straight?

If you build it according to the plans, the power pod will have right angle thrust (assuming CCW motor/prop) and how it's mounted will result in some down angle.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Some pictures of the electronics install on my Baby Baron for Tom Holmez (via question on my YouTube video).

Two different methods due to motor size and required battery placement.

The smaller motor version
IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG
The RX goes on the Velcro (not installed at the moment), ESC jammed into the pod and battery on pod Velcro.

The larger motor needed battery back farther back so I came up with this.

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG
Battery has Velcro on sides. I had to remove a bit of foam under the Velcro for my battery to fit. Works great.

To find ideal placement, temporarily place items where you want them and then move them around to get CG right. Even the pod can be shifted forward and back a little to help if needed (just may need new holes poked through pod). Working upside down would be helpful. Be patient as getting the CG is very important on little planes.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Aaron

WWagner

My Baby Baron

Well Dan first off thank you very much for the plans. Here is my baby. I will probably stuff this into the sod but hey at least it's easy to build. I built this in one evening from printing the plans to this point in about three hours and this is my first real scratch build. I plan on power to be a QAV1306/3100KV swinging a 5x3 prop. I am planning on dumbing down the controls a whole bunch since I am a new pilot. Once again thanks for providing free plans. I plan on building a few more just got to get the electronics for em.

ww baby baron.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks great! Be ready for a very fast and almost twitchy feeling controls - it's an adrenaline ride for sure! Don't get discouraged if it meets the grass a few times - its a tough little thing and will bounce back well. Plus, as you pointed out it's a pretty quick rebuild :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've had success with an 1806 2600kv and a 2204 2300kv - so the motor you're using is a little smaller and faster, but according to HK's specs that motor/prop combo will put out at 243 grams of thrust. As long as you're total all-up-weight is close to or less than 243, you should be in good shape for a speedy little ride.

WWagner

ww baby baron.jpg

Successful maiden yay! I dialed rates to 50% and expo to 30% and my young thumbs did well!
She was a blast to fly!

ARE

Just finished building my Yellow Baby Baron. Paper was removed from both sides of a single sheet of DTF, clear roll of adhesive film from Dollarama (for book covers I guess) was used to cover one side, while the other was covered in yellow packing tape. The taped up sheet of foam was then laser cut. The whole thing was built using white gorilla glue and almost no hot glue (other then the servos and a wee bit to tack down the wing fold). The power pod was 3D-printed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1096211). The iron cross stickers were printed on a 3mil glossy white adhesive vinyl at a local print shop.

A ZMR1804 with 6x5 SF prop will propel this thing. Dry weight without battery came out to 135g. AUW with a 2s 360mah is 158g, with a 2s 500mah, 168g.

DSC_1395.JPG
DSC_1397.JPG
DSC_1398.JPG

Hopefully, will get a chance to try it out this weekend :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nice light build. Looks really good. Love the yellow/black combination. My personal fave.

docque

I built my Baby and I have a question. I don't really get the thrust angle. Is it laying flat against the fold-over or is it at a downward angle where the back rests on the FB and the front rests on the fold-over?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I built my Baby and I have a question. I don't really get the thrust angle. Is it laying flat against the fold-over or is it at a downward angle where the back rests on the FB and the front rests on the fold-over?

The C-fold at the nose provides the correct thrust angle for the power pod. The power pod should be pointed down when correctly installed with the rear of the pod on the fuse and the front/top touching the C-fold.

attachment.php