Baby Baron - Build

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I took the time to decorate my combat plane. It needed an aggressive look that say's "Ready for War!". So I printed some pics from the interwebs and stuck them on the plane.

DSC01860.JPG

These give it a very menacing appearance.

DSC01861.JPG

It's presence is ominous.

DSC01862.JPG

The mere sight of it strikes fear into the heart of it's opponents.

DSC01863.JPG

Truly a force to be reckoned with.

READY FOR WAR!!!

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
No, but I did just see that I posted this in the baby baron thread and not the bloody baron thread. That's because I'm a jeanious!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Awesome. I literally laughed out loud when I read this. :p

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Here is my Baby Baron.
No rounded tail surface and trailing edge.
Build with depron and a 3mm balsa spar.
100gr without battery + 50gr 460mAh/3S.
Wind too strong at the moment to fly, will be tested soon.
Thanks for the plan!

Attachments

• IMG_20150914_192300.jpg
    IMG_20150914_192300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20150914_192322.jpg
    IMG_20150914_192322.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 12

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is my Baby Baron.
Thanks for the plan!

Very nice build. Really interested to hear how the depron version flies. Should be able to slow that thing way down.

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Very nice build. Really interested to hear how the depron version flies. Should be able to slow that thing way down.
Weight is about the same as a DTFB build (even with the clear tape cover all around, in and out), so I presume low speed should be the same, we'll see.
Well, first flight this morning didn't go "smoooooth".
Before hand launching, I noticed a little down thrust angle on the firewall.
Before think twice about it, I apply 3/4 thr (with 3S, half thr would be enough, but, pfff whatever...) with a good toss and nose dived my orange baby baron right into the grass.
Firewall must be changed (no power pod...), no big deal, I'll be back :)
My CG seems "on the spot", is some up thrust angle necessary?
On a good side note, I received my Fireworks6 dlg when I came back home, great!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This is very cute and cool SP0NZ!

It'll definitely going to be my 1st non-FT plane!

First, welcome to the forums. Second, thanks for the compliments.

I'm really interested in the 'backpackable' version. Could you please elaborate?

Sure, the backpackable version was created by my son. I'll see if I can get him to add some additional details. Basically, it's the Baby Baron with a removable wing and removable vertical stabilizer. Much like some of the FT designs with removable wings, he just used dowels and rubber bands to hold the wing in place. For the vertical stabilizer, he hot glued in a couple pieces of gift card plastic on both sides of the stab and held it in place with another piece of dowel. I'll try and get some pics posted later.

And if you don't mind, I'd like to translate the build process into Chinese and put it on my blog, with a link to this post of course. I might use some of the photos from this post, will it be OK with you?

I don't mind at all. Please share the link to your blog post here when your done too.

Thanks for the cool design and sharing!

You are very welcome.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is the link:
http://www.elvinplay.net/baby-baron-build-宝贝男爵-制作/

Yes some picture will be very helpful. I'm also thinking make the Bloody Baron 'backpackable'. Do you think it's gonna work?

You could easily make a removable wing. Just add a couple dowels and hold the wind on with rubber bands. If you want a removable vertical stabilizer, I think you are going to have to give up the rudder. Unless you want to disconnect the rudder linkage for transportation. Then you would need to reconnect the linkage, making sure everything is centered, and re-trim the rudder every time you unpack it.

Hell2Go

Here is my Baby Baron.
Thanks for the plan!

How's the flying coming on that depron version? I built a depron version of a wing that I'd been building with dtfb and it came out considerably lighter than the taped dtfb version. It slowed down a little more in the depron version but was also more susceptible to being tossed around by the wind more. Just got to find the happy-medium between to light and too much wing loading...

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Well after loosing the FT Mini Cruiser to a windy day you would think that I would smarten up. Nope.

The first pic is pre-flight. The plane flew really well but I lost orientation once and another time the wind got me close to the ground (I am still wondering about the range of the receiver). Yes it was a 3 blade prop I maidened it on. i had no other use for it so what the heck? I look forward to flying it on a calmer day. BTW, this was my first scratch build taken all the way to flight.

Oh yeah, it will fly with a 1300mAh 2s battery too.

IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

Last edited:

tyoho

Well after loosing the FT Mini Cruiser to a windy day you would think that I would smarten up. Nope.

The first pic is pre-flight. The plane flew really well but I lost orientation once and another time the wind got me close to the ground (I am still wondering about the range of the receiver). Yes it was a 3 blade prop I maidened it on. i had no other use for it so what the heck? I look forward to flying it on a calmer day. BTW, this was my first scratch build taken all the way to flight.

View attachment 55816 View attachment 55817

Welcome to the "Build -fly - crash - repeat" loop.

elvin

View attachment 55816 View attachment 55817

can even carry a 1300mah 2s?

what's your motor and prop size?

Capt_Beavis

yes, it flew pretty well with the 1300, it was heavy and didn't have great vertical but it flew. I am going to get ~500mAh 2s today and I have the parts on order to make an adaptor for my UMX Pitts 300 and 450.

The green prop was a 5x3x3 I believe and the orange is a 5x4. I am using a power pack A twin motor. I built an FT Mini Cruiser that crashed into a lack, this was build with salvaged parts.

elvin

yes, it flew pretty well with the 1300, it was heavy and didn't have great vertical but it flew. I am going to get ~500mAh 2s today and I have the parts on order to make an adaptor for my UMX Pitts 300 and 450.

The green prop was a 5x3x3 I believe and the orange is a 5x4. I am using a power pack A twin motor. I built an FT Mini Cruiser that crashed into a lack, this was build with salvaged parts.

for 2s it should be better to go with 6x4 prop and will have more static thrust. back to 5x3 with 3s to be safe.

Capt_Beavis

the 5x3 was a three blade. A two blade 5x3 won't even keep it in the air with a 2s 450 (although it is a heavy one) battery. I agree on the 6x4 though. I am going to get one soon but the 5x4 isn't bad. The plane is very squirelly. I have the travel turned down to 75% or so on the ailerons and it still rolls pretty well on 60% low rates.

Capt_Beavis

Well, I was not happy with the way my baron flew at all. It is the only plane I have flown that will spin stall. I did a 2" wing extension and that improved it a bit but I still didn't like it. I made the extended wing fully under-cambered and it is now they way I like it. It even flew around the park with a 1300mAh battery and only a 5x3 prop. it took nearly full throttle but it flew. I went back witha 450mAh battery and it flew really nicely on the 5x3. I brought a 6" with me but i realized after I got there it was CW.