Baby Baron - Build

envy

I was looking for a small plane to replace my retried FT Scout, and was really taken by the baby baron! I built this one today while watching the Cricket...

20151117_174538.jpg

Just waiting on the 5g servos to finish it off :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Well, I was not happy with the way my baron flew at all. It is the only plane I have flown that will spin stall. I did a 2" wing extension and that improved it a bit but I still didn't like it. I made the extended wing fully under-cambered and it is now they way I like it. It even flew around the park with a 1300mAh battery and only a 5x3 prop. it took nearly full throttle but it flew. I went back witha 450mAh battery and it flew really nicely on the 5x3. I brought a 6" with me but i realized after I got there it was CW.

Thanks for all the great feedback on this design Capt.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I was looking for a small plane to replace my retried FT Scout, and was really taken by the baby baron! I built this one today while watching the Cricket...

View attachment 58202

Just waiting on the 5g servos to finish it off :D

That looks pretty cool. The force is strong with that one! :D

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I accidentally posted this in the Blood Baron thread. I'll delete it to post here instead.

Baby Baron maiden using Emax 2204 / 2300kv and gemfan 6045 prop for a quadcopter. I think I could find a better prop for this setup. It a lot of fun but I'm flying 75% - 100% throttle here. Any recommendations? Like maybe a prop intended for airplanes? ;)

I adjusted the aileron neutral position and it finally dawned on me I could easily add washout by just cutting the tips of the ailerons then hot gluing them with a little up angle. This should add stability with minimal drag... a bit like toe-in on a car.

XKYwgbY.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Thanks for all the great feedback on this design Capt.

Just for the records, Sponz, as you can see in my video, I didn't experience any of these bad tendencies. A great and fun little plane with those signature insane roll rates. :)

JohnRambozo

Last Baby Baron post, I promise. I had to share this because I only recently realized my iphone does 60fps. So here's a hi-res 60fps video of the Baby Baron handling some pretty strong winds without even flinching. Rolls like a dream, loops, Split-S, Immelmans and whatever else I'm doing. Great design, Dan (sponz)!

Capt_Beavis

I have flown it with a 1200mAh 2s but I was usually flying with a 500mAh. I know use a 3s 500mAh. I would get my stalls on tight turns or trying to do loops at lower speed.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Last Baby Baron post, I promise. I had to share this because I only recently realized my iphone does 60fps. So here's a hi-res 60fps video of the Baby Baron handling some pretty strong winds without even flinching. Rolls like a dream, loops, Split-S, Immelmans and whatever else I'm doing. Great design, Dan (sponz)!

Post as many videos as you want. I always enjoy watching people fly my designs. Great piloting and nice job on your build. That was fun to watch.

JohnRambozo

Post as many videos as you want. I always enjoy watching people fly my designs. Great piloting and nice job on your build. That was fun to watch.

Thank you for the compliment and for the awesome design. Maybe one or two more videos. I got some new props to try out. A 6x4 and 5x5 airplane prop. That last one was just a multirotor prop and I don't think its that efficient for forward flight. I'm hoping for more speed!

Capt_Beavis

The Red one I call the "Bloody Ugly" it is the one with a fully undercamber extended wing. I don't have a name for the white one yet but it has the wing extended a total of 4in and a modified tail. It has a rudder too. I will need to open up the servo port for it. Hopefully I will have a maiden report after the weekend but I am not sure I will fly Sunday due to Easter.

IMG_2644.JPG IMG_2645.JPG

Capt_Beavis

I use multirotor props for a lot of applications. I think the 5x5 will be great.

Thank you for the compliment and for the awesome design. Maybe one or two more videos. I got some new props to try out. A 6x4 and 5x5 airplane prop. That last one was just a multirotor prop and I don't think its that efficient for forward flight. I'm hoping for more speed!

Capt_Beavis

Thanks to Notreallyme for the video. I think this was our 3rd flight but all on one battery. I needed very little trim. This doesn't show the roll rate well but it is really fast. Inverted it great and it does a nice high alpha. I may add a counter balance to the rudder for more authority but it will do flatish turns. My original Baron was definitely at the end of its life. The paper was letting go on the horizontal stabilizer ad the wing was coming apart. This puts me a little closer towards designing my own plane.

Video Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/38ey7p3bokbtrsp/20160324_170409.mp4?dl=0

IMG_2647.JPG

Last edited:

Traveler_67

Nice designs

Beautiful design(s). I just got my Battle Buddies combo yesterday & already have the Wonder flight ready. Will build the Bloody Baron today & the Baby Baron tonight. A couple of questions, is there any plans for doing a Baby Wonder? I showed a buddy a video of the Baby Baron & a video of the Bloody Baron & Wonder doing combat and he is hyped to try some combat but he wants a small Wonder to match (oppose) my Baby Baron. I was thinking if we did that at our club, we might get more members interested in this aspect of the hobby.

Also, Sponz, did you ever do the article on using printed graphics & packing tape for finishing planes?

The only thing I hate about the Flite Test website is that I only found it a couple months ago LOL.

I've built the Mighty Mini Corsair (I'm a F-4 Corsair & P-38 Lightning freak LOL) the FT Bronco, which I modified the
high-elevator tail to include dual rudders, to match my balsa OV-10 Bronco), and as mentioned earlier, the Bloody Wonder. But I don't think I've been as excited about either of those builds as I am of both of the Barons. I gotta have the Baby to match the Bloody Baron, as I love the ultra micros, especially if it's a umx of one of my bigger planes.

One final question, as the Bloody Wonder can do vertical takeoff, has anyone attempted to LAND it vertically (tail first, not nose first LOL)? I know it would take skill, but with the right power setup, bring it in low & moderately slow, go into a low hover & slowly bleed off power until she settles on the ground on her tail.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@Traveler_67

I started working on a Mighty Mini MkIII (60% version of the Bloody Wonder MkIII) last year. I had one at Flite Fest, but I had stability issues with it. Shortly after that, I was finalizing the design and plans for the Bloody Baron for the Flite Test Community Series release. A month or so later, I was working on the plans for Flite Test in an official capacity. I haven't been doing a lot with my own designs since that started. I do want to revisit the Mini MkIII at some point. But, to be honest, I have bigger plans for a combat fuselage v2.0. The mini wight have to wait until the new fuse is worked out.

I did not write an article on paper decal and packing tape finishing. Still need to do that. Have a couple articles that I need to write actually. Just need to find the time to do it. ;)