Baby Blender

Headbang

Master member
Yes I have! I totally dig it. I intend to start a thread and open a group build for it sometime soon. It looks like a blast to fly! "Quick as snot" in the local vernacular. I've got to finish my Storch, I want to build @sundown57's slow flyer, and when the Zero comes out, I'll be all over it. It was such a nimble dogfighter in it's prime. That plane excites me!

Somewhere in between or after, I'll be building (and crashing horribly) the Mig 3. ;)
I loved my mig 3! I was plagued with a bad motor which was overloading my esc. After lots of flights and the final crash I benched the power system and discovered what my issue was. It flew great, had lots of crashes due to esc failure, and 1 crash due to pilot error. I have bunch of vids of it up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2M2o_ne_zm8SB9fdMFft7Q

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I loved my mig 3! I was plagued with a bad motor which was overloading my esc. After lots of flights and the final crash I benched the power system and discovered what my issue was. It flew great, had lots of crashes due to esc failure, and 1 crash due to pilot error. I have bunch of vids of it up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2M2o_ne_zm8SB9fdMFft7Q
Nice vids! I'm guessing from the end of the "Second flight of the FT Mig-3" that the Mig-3 just needs to go fast, to stay airborne in a bank. It seems like you can fudge it, and do slow, level flight, but If you're going to throw a wingtip up, you need airspeed to keep her airborne.

I ran into something similar with my Spit maiden. The launch scared the crap out of me, so I slowed down. As soon as I banked to come around again, she dropped like a rock. I had to quickly increase the airspeed to keep her going. I'm thinking I'm lucky it didn't stall out all together. Though a lot of that may simply be that our Swedish FT friend designed one heck of a wing for the FT Spitfire. He wasn't even concerned about the degree of the dihedral. He was all like "Meh. So long as you got some." :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice vids! I'm guessing from the end of the "Second flight of the FT Mig-3" that the Mig-3 just needs to go fast, to stay airborne in a bank. It seems like you can fudge it, and do slow, level flight, but If you're going to throw a wingtip up, you need airspeed to keep her airborne.

I ran into something similar with my Spit maiden. The launch scared the crap out of me, so I slowed down. As soon as I banked to come around again, she dropped like a rock. I had to quickly increase the airspeed to keep her going. I'm thinking I'm lucky it didn't stall out all together. Though a lot of that may simply be that our Swedish FT friend designed one heck of a wing for the FT Spitfire. He wasn't even concerned about the degree of the dihedral. He was all like "Meh. So long as you got some." :)
The Spit is a very forgiving plane. I miss mine.

Have you tried your Spit since the maiden?

Headbang

Master member

One of the roles I have in my club puts me in a position to maiden a lot of planes. I have maidened countless ww2 birds and they all are similar. They are stable at speed, but they fall apart without it. Most will drop a wing when stalling and it is easy to stall as you enter a turn. Tho I think the crash you are talking about the the reciever had no power at the moment of loss of control. First flight was tail heavy, which is a death sentence in a war bird. The oops was just that, low, fast, pissing around, being cocky, just lost it. Every other mishap was esc overloading, killing the motor and rebooting the rx.

Headbang

Master member
Back to the baby blender..... I would love to have one like @BATTLEAXE built, it feels awesome in the air! When I flew it I was being very tame, but I felt it had a lot of potential to really wring it out and give it some hell.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
One of the roles I have in my club puts me in a position to maiden a lot of planes. I have maidened countless ww2 birds and they all are similar. They are stable at speed, but they fall apart without it. Most will drop a wing when stalling and it is easy to stall as you enter a turn. Tho I think the crash you are talking about the the reciever had no power at the moment of loss of control. First flight was tail heavy, which is a death sentence in a war bird. The oops was just that, low, fast, pissing around, being cocky, just lost it. Every other mishap was esc overloading, killing the motor and rebooting the rx.
Speaking of LOS I had that issue yesterday but it was only the throttle channel, loss of power, still full control to glide in but no power. Motor, ESC and battery all stayed relatively cool, a tad warm but not hot. What is the cause of that?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Back to the baby blender..... I would love to have one like @BATTLEAXE built, it feels awesome in the air! When I flew it I was being very tame, but I felt it had a lot of potential to really wring it out and give it some hell.
I am still using the gasser prop on it too, I will change it over to the electric prop and put the coals to her and se>e what it does. Maybe even try a 4s and a smaller prop. Thoughts?

Headbang

Master member
Speaking of LOS I had that issue yesterday but it was only the throttle channel, loss of power, still full control to glide in but no power. Motor, ESC and battery all stayed relatively cool, a tad warm but not hot. What is the cause of that?
That sounds like esc issues. If it happens again drop the throttle to 0 for a few secs and see if it powers up. If it does it means the esc rebooted and can not rearm until throttle goes to 0. Could be wiring to battery, heat, over draw, loose connection to reciever, or something I have not thought of.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Any plans to re-prop it and make it really sing?
Absolutely. I just got some some 8x6's in and I've got 9x6's coming soon. I haven't given up on her. She's not as much fun as my MSBP, but she's got her own personality and is still a blast to fly! She's also got lots more capability for going faster than my MSBP ever will. The fun with the bipes IS getting crazy with the turns and loops and all the stupid stuff they're capable of, but there's also something deeply satisfying when that big biplane cruises by on a really quick low pass.

The Baby Blender has that capability much more so than any other FT bipe. I've only just scratched the surface of it. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Absolutely. I just got some some 8x6's in and I've got 9x6's coming soon. I haven't given up on her. She's not as much fun as my MSBP, but she's got her own personality and is still a blast to fly! She's also got lots more capability for going faster than my MSBP ever will. The fun with the bipes IS getting crazy with the turns and loops and all the stupid stuff they're capable of, but there's also something deeply satisfying when that big biplane cruises by on a really quick low pass.

The Baby Blender has that capability much more so than any other FT bipe. I've only just scratched the surface of it. :)
That's right you have a Baby Blender as well. When was the last time you took it out?

Try the 8x6 on your Spit and film it, I wanna see your reaction. Your maiden didn't do the plane justice man, it may surprise you again. Just like your MSBP it has the potential to be a highly maneuverable plane just on a faster larger scale... pro tip, keep it higher up then flying the MSBP for some aerobatics, but you are right, the high speed low passes are a punch in the face lol

PoorManRC

Master member
That thing is F'in GORGEOUS!!! Flies as good as she looks!
OK, I'm totally ripping off your Turtle Deck idea. Adds a whole new dimension!! 👍👍
Love the Struts too. It was the only thing that bugged me about the BB... The Upper Wing just floating in the center!
I'm a Scale Builder first, and Cabane Struts were already in my Plans. 😉

Oh, and I agree, the square Vstab had to go! I kept most of it...
You'll just have to see what happens! 😃
And about the Wing size from your first page...
I'm doing a staggered Wing setup. Bottom stock, Top 27".