Battery Trouble

Justin

Just to clarify for everyone the motors I'm using are the NTM prop drive 28-2600 1200kv motors. Turnigy multistar 30amp ESCs 2-4S. Turnigy 3S 2200mAh 30C batteries with option of parallel. XT60s and 3.5mm bullet connectors (one pair per motor[bullets]). FliteTest Knuckle H Quad, AR6210 receiver, KK2.1 board. 8 x 4.5 props.

lonewolf7717

a wattmeter will give you real data on actual amp draw for your given motor/prop combo. the motors you have chosen are rated for a max of 17amps. so basically you want to bench test your motor prop combo with wattmeter attached, if you are pulling more than 17 amps at full throttle you will want to downsize your prop a bit. if way under you will want to up size.
wattmeter:
http://www.valuehobby.com/gt-power-130a-wattmeter.html

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BTW, you ain't gonna pull 17A using an 8x4.5 prop on that motor.

It'll lift well, and unless you're quad is *really* overweight, you'll like how those motors perform.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
BTW, you ain't gonna pull 17A using an 8x4.5 prop on that motor.

It'll lift well, and unless you're quad is *really* overweight, you'll like how those motors perform.
Not a chance of over drawing with those. I missed the prop size somehow, so I was thinking 9 or 10" props which might, depending on pitch...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Yes 1200KV is about the bare minimum for 8" props. I have some 1000KV and they would not even get a DJI style craft off the ground at WOT. I run my 8's on 1800 to 2600KV (ACRO flight). About 5 sec WOT and the craft is out of sight.

Thurmond

Justin

Um, I already ordered everything more than two weeks ago. what motors were you using in that setup?

Tritium

The motors on most my multi's except for 2 Hex copters are RCTimer / MyRcMart (turnigy style) D-2822 / D2826 type motors. About $8 to $10 ea. The 1000kV actually came from BangGood on a cheap kit I started with once upon a time. It used tri-blade props at 9". You should be fine at 1200kV but you will have to keep the craft as light as possible. You will know as soon as you try to hover if things are correct. Hovering should be about 1/2 throttle. If hovering requires 3/4 to full throttle then you will probably need to go up to a 9 or 10" prop. As others have said a Wattmeter is of VERY GREAT IMPORTANCE and should only be $15 to $20. The payback though is very quick in that you will not burn things up or buy as many "wrong" combinations of power systems. Trial and error works BUT it is EXPENSIVE......

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The wattmeter will make the trial and error a little cheaper because props are fairly cheap and can make a huge difference in lift and they also control current draw . Using the wattmeter will get you so much closer to your ideal draw without going over and let you get the most out of your power system.

Justin

So what you're saying is that an 8x4.5 prop will struggle on a 1200kv motor. FliteTest recommended 1380 kv motors for this Knuckle H Quad. Should I order new motors? If I want to return the ones that are being shipped, they cannot be used.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, the motors are fine. In fact, if you aren't getting the lift you need, you can safely go up in prop size a bit. That's all.

Tritium

Don't panic Justin, just use what you have ordered. No point is buying more parts until these are tested. (and your test will be OK).

Like xume720 said the only thing you "might" need is a bigger prop. Just build it and see how it works is the best path unless you have plenty of cash and just like to buy parts like me! LOL (that is why I now have 10 multicopters, had 11 but sold 1)

Thurmond

Justin

I'll test it out and see how it goes. When I was gathering my information, I wanted this Quad to be able to lift some equipment/drops.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm using 4 of these motors on a V-tail with an AUW of 1100g (not a light setup) and on 8" props it flies just fine. Plenty of power, and really zippy. go ahead and use these to learn to fly and you *will* break props so buy both 8" & 9" replacements -- 8" for learning, experimenting and having fun, 9" for lifting gear.

Justin

Thanks for your response. I actually just asked Chad because he designed it. So there is no need to order higher kv motors. Just larger props. If I open up the motors, there is no going back.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Please be assured, you are fine with what you have ordered. I know at this stage you can scare yourself really easily by thinking you have ordered something you can't use. These motors are fine. Better even since you can use them with larger props for heavy lifting and still be fine.

Justin

Okay, thanks. I feel much better now. Thank you ;) I really hate that feeling. I felt sick when I was deciding if this whole quad was worth it ($500), but now I know I have made the right decision. Will I have to change my battery now since it demands more amps. I don't think I do. Battery is 3S 2200mAh 30C Turnigy with option of running in parallel. I can safely supply 68 amps constantly. With a 9" prop, amperage ranges from x amps to y amps. A 9 inch prop is not rated on HK's website and that kinda scares me. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25084 Would a four cell damage this setup? A three cell? Please continue this discussion or any motor discussion on my "Knuckle H Quad motor issue", located in the E motors category under "The Workbench".

Last edited: