BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks Battleaxe 😃 Let me give you some more hints about how I do my build vids. I am using a camcorder (a quite old Sony HD camcorder, but still OK) on a tripod and filming each step of the build in a separate scene. Sometimes even multiple scenes per step. After each take, I change the camera position or zoom factor, so I don‘t get a „jump“ in the video when cutting the scenes together. Normally I don‘t have a complete storyboard when I do the filming, but I try to have a rough idea of how it will be arranged in the final video.
Lighting is important and I just invested in a video light (Samtian RL-18). The effect will be visible in my next video. Hopefully a positive effect 😜.
When it comes to the editing part, I am using a software called Edius Pro 8. I collect all of the recorded scenes and organize them according to the major steps of the build. You can organize your stuff in folders inside Edius, which helps not to lose the overview. Before starting the real editing, I write a storybook, writing down everything I want to say or explain in each scene. This helps being focused and it also helps me as a non-native English speaker to find the good words 😜
Then I record the text with the windows recorder software and a USB microphone. A couple of months ago I invested in a Rode NTUSB wich has a great sound quality for a reasonable price. Before I used a cheap microphone and the sound was crap. I record the text scene by scene and sort it into the folders where the video scenes are.
Now I start the real editing. I take the video scene, put it on the timeline, add the recorded text to the audio line and align it to properly match my action. My basic idea is to keep each scene as short as possible, but show all needed details. Sometimes I run the scene at a higher speed just to save time.
The more videos you make the more experience you will get to film the scenes in a way that you can easily edit them. I am also still on the learning curve and sometimes I realize during the editing that I missed some info and I have to shoot additional material... if possible. Once I even rebuilt one component (tail boom of my Noratlas) just to get the scene recorded that I missed.
I hope you could find something helpful in what I was writing.
In case I created more questions than answers for you, just keep asking me. I will try to share my experience.
Keep up your good work, you are on a good track
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I know eventually i will get there. Its rough film now, as time goes on and experience is gained there will be a noticable difference. I am on a budget right now and honestly flying takes the priority. This is something i am playing around with right now and as i get better equiptment the production will improve.

I am just using my run cam for filming, obviously in my garage, and a notebook laptop with free trimming software. As the budget increases any money will be spent on gear for the planes first, production equipment second. Its just a hobby that i enjoy and am looking to elevate my skill level.

I definately will be asking you a bunch of questions in the meantime and i really appreciate your open offer to help me learn. Thank you very much for the response and i will be looking into the hardware and software you mentioned

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Todays first tip is for the OP of this thread.
Could you please find a way to include an index or table of links to the various tips on the thread. The Video links are already scattered through the thread but as the thread grows finding a specific tip/hint will become so difficult that many will not even bother to seek it out!

Next tip is open for anyone else to update or document in their preferred format.

How often have you built that special or new bird only to watch it roll, nose dive, or otherwise crash after you do the initial hand launch? In my case it is a very large number! As a result not only do I have a repair to do but there is always the parts cost as well which has included a new motor, a new battery, a new ESC, and replacement servos. In a bad case I can be up for around $50 USD to get the plane ready for its second attempt at flight.

So I decided to build a bungee launcher for my FB builds and it has been working perfectly for 18 months now and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. The old thread is found here:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-best-20-i-invested.53587/
I invite someone to update it and include it in the videos! I have a second version, (improved), in the pipeline but as it is improved it will cost a little more than the original.

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - your tip videos are as clean as your builds - always good see your perspective! :D
This tip was more of an experiment in camera angle, more over the table to see what I am doing. And you don't have to blow smoke up my a$$, it was a dirty vid, lots of stuff to improve on. It would be better if I rehersed them, had a story board, and multiple cam angles. But it is a work in progress. Thanks though

Could you please find a way to include an index or table of links to the various tips on the thread. The Video links are already scattered through the thread but as the thread grows finding a specific tip/hint will become so difficult that many will not even bother to seek it out!

Next tip is open for anyone else to update or document in their preferred format.

How often have you built that special or new bird only to watch it roll, nose dive, or otherwise crash after you do the initial hand launch? In my case it is a very large number! As a result not only do I have a repair to do but there is always the parts cost as well which has included a new motor, a new battery, a new ESC, and replacement servos. In a bad case I can be up for around $50 USD to get the plane ready for its second attempt at flight.

So I decided to build a bungee launcher for my FB builds and it has been working perfectly for 18 months now and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. The old thread is found here:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-best-20-i-invested.53587/
I invite someone to update it and include it in the videos! I have a second version, (improved), in the pipeline but as it is improved it will cost a little more than the original.

Have fun!
Thanks for the contribution to the thread, always appreciated. Unless that was just an example of what I need to do lol. I would like to index them on a separate thread at some point, just don't really know how. Maybe a thread where there is less chit chat and opinions on the vids themselves. Don't get me wrong i do appreciate the encouragement and criticisms but it does clutter things up somewhat, and just this format doesn't make for a quick reference guide. Maybe once i get a good collection of them going and the production improves i will make efforts to streamline it. Thanks for the suggestion.

TooJung2Die

Master member
DIY Stencilling
Great tip, Battleaxe. I like that you're using materials commonly found in the home like masking tape and wax paper that most people already have. Dollar Tree sells a clear self adhesive shelf paper for a buck a roll. It's the kind that will stick down but lift off later (like masking tape). If your Dollar Tree has some stock up on it. It sells out fast and it may be a long time before they get it back in the store.

Shelf paper is perfect for what you demonstrated. The advantage of using the shelf paper is you can mask or stencil with it. What you demonstrated is actually called masking. Stenciling is when you cut out the shape in a large sheet and paint through the hole you cut in the sheet.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great tip, Battleaxe. I like that you're using materials commonly found in the home like masking tape and wax paper that most people already have. Dollar Tree sells a clear self adhesive shelf paper for a buck a roll. It's the kind that will stick down but lift off later (like masking tape). If your Dollar Tree has some stock up on it. It sells out fast and it may be a long time before they get it back in the store.

Shelf paper is perfect for what you demonstrated. The advantage of using the shelf paper is you can mask or stencil with it. What you demonstrated is actually called masking. Stenciling is when you cut out the shape in a large sheet and paint through the hole you cut in the sheet.
Thanks for the heads up on the terminology. I appreciate it.

I think I know what kind of paper your talking about too, Grandma's line there cupboards with it right :ROFLMAO:

Vimana89

Legendary member

Have fun!

That will come in handy when I start building bigger, more ungainly to hand launch planes. Everything I've built so far hand launches easy, so if it does any of those things on launch, it is a design or piloting issue rather than a bad launch. This is something I will probably need though in the not too distant future(y).

Great stuff so far @BATTLEAXE, I was thinking about magnets myself to perform the same function as my velcro hatches, but better.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That will come in handy when I start building bigger, more ungainly to hand launch planes. Everything I've built so far hand launches easy, so if it does any of those things on launch, it is a design or piloting issue rather than a bad launch. This is something I will probably need though in the not too distant future(y).

Great stuff so far @BATTLEAXE, I was thinking about magnets myself to perform the same function as my velcro hatches, but better.
The Sportster actually uses magnets incorporating @Sero shear method, works awesome.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'll have to check out his methods. Magnets could be a cleaner and more effective alternative to velcro for my hatches-which aren't so much about what it is, but what it ain't...skewers!
Yeah the tab/skewer method is cute the first few times but they wear out so quick, magnets are forever... or is that diamonds? I like planes better ;)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah the tab/skewer method is cute the first few times but they wear out so quick, magnets are forever... or is that diamonds? I like planes better ;)
Those skewer holes wear out bad. I don't even like them to simply close a hatch, and as much as I love FT, I definitely don't like them to hold in a power pod with a got dang motor and ESC in it. Just not up my alley as far as design. Farting around for a good minute trying to line up those skewers while your battery is connected and draining, then the holes getting reamed out on the first hard landing or crash, and if not that, just from the tug or push of your motor. Something that was designed to be convenient, but totally isn't in my humble opinion.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Those skewer holes wear out bad. I don't even like them to simply close a hatch, and as much as I love FT, I definitely don't like them to hold in a power pod with a got dang motor and ESC in it. Just not up my alley as far as design. Farting around for a good minute trying to line up those skewers while your battery is connected and draining, then the holes getting reamed out on the first hard landing or crash, and if not that, just from the tug or push of your motor. Something that was designed to be convenient, but totally isn't in my humble opinion.
As far as FT goes I like to think that they give you a base to work from, then you make it your own from there. That's what makes this cool, even the forums wouldn't be so busy if FT gave you all the perfect answers, there is always room for improvement. Which in turn empowers guys like you and I to be ambitious, motivated and creative. It helps us be better people and to help others follow suit.

Vimana89

Legendary member
As far as FT goes I like to think that they give you a base to work from, then you make it your own from there. That's what makes this cool, even the forums wouldn't be so busy if FT gave you all the perfect answers, there is always room for improvement. Which in turn empowers guys like you and I to be ambitious, motivated and creative. It helps us be better people and to help others follow suit.
Totally agree. The skewers work well for the FT guys and people really used to those builds who swap their motor out often and don't have a lot of rough landings. For the average user, I don't feel they are the best. Certainly viable, but like you said, everyone has their own preferences and that's what's great, you like it another way just mod it your way👍

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Skewers you say? I love me the heck out of some skewers! :love: I reinforce the holes with some gift cards and when I have a nasty, vertical landing? The skewers are broken, but my plane isn't (badly). Like ya'll said, it's a matter of preference, I guess. ;)

@BATTLEAXE, that was actually a pretty good vid. No smoke anywhere it doesn't belong. :LOL: Your star was ugly, but like you say, you're doing this on the fly. I got the idea and the method. That was a successful video.

@Hai-Lee has a valid point about finding your tips. Your counterpoint is valid as well. Why not learn from my lesson in the 10 link limit thread? Edit your first post with direct links to the video tips. You can just keep adding them, and we can just keep telling you how horrible they are. ;):love::LOL: