BATTLEAXE Quick Tips

Chuppster

Great work @BATTLEAXE! Have you thought about upping your production quality with some more lighting? I can't seem to get enough light in my workshop, and you can get some pretty cheap lighting units on Amazon. It'll help us see what you're doing better, and make building easier to boot!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great work @BATTLEAXE! Have you thought about upping your production quality with some more lighting? I can't seem to get enough light in my workshop, and you can get some pretty cheap lighting units on Amazon. It'll help us see what you're doing better, and make building easier to boot!
I mounted the cam on a stand up desk lamp kickin around the house, it works great for the vids. Kinda surprised me once I watched the first vid.

Thanks for the compliments and I will try to keep them coming. If there is anything you would like to see, wonder how I do it, or have a suggestion that would help others, I am more then happy to showcase it. Doesn't have to be a big long drawn out process, or it could be, please post whatever builders and pilots would benefit from.

Thanks again

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I use tabs, cheaper than magnets
The first time I bought magnets was from Michael's, and they were pricey, $13 for 6 magnets. Next time I am goin to try to find one of those Knicky Knack stores in the mall that sell heads and gems for crafty stuff, you know they have like pictures and cheap African masks and other crap the ladies like to decorate the house with. They usually have trays of these heads and stones, and they usually have earth magnets for cheap. You can get them on Amazon for 100 for like $8.

Sero

Elite member
The first time I bought magnets was from Michael's, and they were pricey, $13 for 6 magnets. Next time I am goin to try to find one of those Knicky Knack stores in the mall that sell heads and gems for crafty stuff, you know they have like pictures and cheap African masks and other crap the ladies like to decorate the house with. They usually have trays of these heads and stones, and they usually have earth magnets for cheap. You can get them on Amazon for 100 for like $8.

I hear ya, but its still not as cheap as scrap foam, popsicle sticks or tongue depressors. Also means less valuables to pull from an airframe when I'm done.:)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am going to adapt the power pod ideas into finishing my second Spitfire! :D
Thats actually where i first did the indexing doublers was on my Spit. Worked awesome there. Just wish i did a top hatch for batt changes, wouldnt have to unplug the throttle wire from the Rx.

The doublers also give you more surface area to glue the wing to.

Are you doing a removable wing?

bracesport

Legendary member
the wing is glued in already - I made a top hole for access and thought I would make the hatch removable - actually I have some magnets tucked away so why not go for the trifecta - power pod mods, magnets and some ironing! :D

I need to calm down and make the second spit simple as 'someone' has challenged me to fly it next week!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
the wing is glued in already - I made a top hole for access and thought I would make the hatch removable - actually I have some magnets tucked away so why not go for the trifecta - power pod mods, magnets and some ironing! :D

I need to calm down and make the second spit simple as 'someone' has challenged me to fly it next week!
What! You get to fly, better be some vids my friend. The anticipation has been killing me

chris398mx

Master member
Great job so far!! My only suggestion would be to try to keep the videos a little shorter. I think the ironing videos would be good at 10-12 minutes. I am sure you will get better with all the specifics the more videos you do. I know I couldn't do it as well as you have already. Keep up the good work.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea i was surprised at how long it took to do the vid. The cam i have to use takes 10 min clips and isnt continuous. I was surprised they went over 20 mins. Thanks for the feedback

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hatches and magnets. That's not a bad idea. It's easy to cut the the top out of a plane and put a hatch in. Unless there's a turtle deck. Gets a little more complicated. Cutting the holes for the magnets? Easy to do sloppy. Personally, I've never done a hatch or used magnets.

I read a tip, way back, about using the magnets from fried motors to do hatches. Food for thought. :)

I'm trying to think of helpful videos you can do. Why not some of the FT basics. For instance, once we learn how to center a servo with a servo tester or transmitter/receiver it's no big deal. As a new pilot, you've got to dig around and try to remember where in which FT build video you saw that.

Bevel cutting. Hooking up the electronics - what goes where, and why and how.

Soldering bullet connectors on. Hooking up an external bec and why would you want to? What's the difference between an sbec and a ubec?

These are all things that we take for granted, but as a new pilot, you've got to do some digging. I'll think of some more. :)

Sero

Elite member
Magnets are free. You get them from worn out and burned up brushless motors. At this rate I'll have a limitless supply. :oops:
LOL, forgot about that but I've managed to fix most of my motors. Bent shaft, wrecked bearings, managed to source parts somewhere. I let the smoke out of one but it was so small it wasn't worth fixing, chucked it. Magnets would have been too small in that. Def keep it in mind.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As I am going through this build I am on now I have to polyurethane and paint so I can do some vids on that. FT build vids cover servo centering in every build vid, same with how they hook up their plug and play electronics. That's been done over and over again. Soldering would be a good one, I really haven't done much of that on my own yet, very little anyway. Fixed a couple of Rx antenna's and that's pretty much it, and it usually takes a couple tries lol. All my ESC's have built in BEC's and I haven't played with external ones yet. But these are all good ideas so far and will be visited in the future. Thanks for the tips @buzzbomb, I appreciate it.

bracesport

Legendary member
when I first started out it was with ED from experimental airlines - his videos paved the way for me before finding FT - oh, and don't forget Andrew Newton for building and flying - now we have the Battleaxe and I am loving the videos and the threads! :D

@BATTLEAXE - painting is a good one - how to arrange the electronics and what if anything needs to be cooled - patterns for scratch builders (how to repeat with ease) - setting up pushrods - how to create the right throws - just a few thoughts

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I like the pushrods thing, I am actually gonna do BBQ skewer pushrods on this Sportster. I could show that one. Making your own control horns as well, I do that all the time. Maybe a lesson on prop selections as well, that one took me awhile to figure out. There is so many things to play with.