Beechcraft Model 18

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I've had a hankering to build the Beechcraft Model 18 ever since FT released it...and guess what showed up in the mail today? According to one of specs on the label, an F-18 Super Hornet! Typos aside...I'm looking forward to building it. Anybody else build one yet?

Attachments

• 20230306_173020.jpg
    20230306_173020.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Glad you bought the Beechcraft 18. I am slowly becoming a big fan of twins. Definitely on the list, please bring us along for the ride.
Your work is always so interesting.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Glad you bought the Beechcraft 18. I am slowly becoming a big fan of twins. Definitely on the list, please bring us along for the ride.
Your work is always so interesting.

Thank you very much! I'll post some build photos along the way.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I've had a hankering to build the Beechcraft Model 18 ever since FT released it...and guess what showed up in the mail today? According to one of specs on the label, an F-18 Super Hornet! Typos aside...I'm looking forward to building it. Anybody else build one yet?
I’ll be following along, I am saving up for one

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Finally had a little time to build last night! I'll be using the tailwheel from a crashed Dynam Hurricane in the back. Also noticed wicked sticky paper on the speedbuild kit- took forever to peel it off from the top wing section.

Attachments

• 20230310_180155.jpg
    20230310_180155.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230310_165304.jpg
    20230310_165304.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230310_142909.jpg
    20230310_142909.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Finally had a little time to build last night! I'll be using the tailwheel from a crashed Dynam Hurricane in the back. Also noticed wicked sticky paper on the speedbuild kit- took forever to peel it off from the top wing section.

..”wicked sticky”….that term…”wicked”….seems like I could place your age around…late fifties…maybe 60.
I might even put your location in the Northeastern U.S. I have a friend who uses that very term.

Glad you started the build.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
..”wicked sticky”….that term…”wicked”….seems like I could place your age around…late fifties…maybe 60.
I might even put your location in the Northeastern U.S. I have a friend who uses that very term.

Glad you started the build.

You're pretty close with your linguistical analysis. I'm a Midwesterner by birth and disposition but married a Philly gal and all that NE lingo years ago. Oregon is home now- lots of good flying weather during the summer here!

Yankee2003

You're pretty close with your linguistical analysis. I'm a Midwesterner by birth and disposition but married a Philly gal and all that NE lingo years ago. Oregon is home now- lots of good flying weather during the summer here!

I lived in the state of Washington for about 12 years. Both of my sons were born in Tacoma.
We loved to go to Portland, Astoria, Cannon Beach…..and one of my favorite places to visit was the blimp hangar and air museum on the old navy airfield in Tillamook.
I know a little about the Pacific Northwest. I always thought Oregon would be a nice place to call home.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Built one a month ago. Pretty straightforward. Nacelles are bigger than the C-47, which makes them easier to put together. The canopy is a little difficult.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Got in a little building today. Front canopy wasn't too bad, but my nacelle work will need a little cleanup later. I chose to use a 9g metal gear servo for the elevator pushrod, as it may be difficult to access later. Hopefully these photos can be helpful to other folks who want to build one.

Attachments

• 20230312_093232.jpg
    20230312_093232.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_094606.jpg
    20230312_094606.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_120128.jpg
    20230312_120128.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_160701.jpg
    20230312_160701.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_181205.jpg
    20230312_181205.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A little more building today- the video for bending the landing gear was helpful. I'm also going to add two slightly scaled down versions of Sponz's 3D printed radials for a little more detail. Pretty easy build- my nacelles are a bit of a mess, but I think I can clean them up before painting.

Attachments

• 20230314_210714.jpg
    20230314_210714.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230314_202020.jpg
    20230314_202020.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Looks really nice so far.
I am not good at the Foamboard “rings” to get curved surfaces. I have been practicing different techniques. I cut out extra pieces and try to make the curved surfaces without as much, or no paper. The problem comes with my glue gun melting the bare foam. Next time I am going to try just removing the paper on either side of the seam and using a quicker setting Titebond glue. That way I might be able to more easily sand and blend the seams. Build times will increase but maybe I will make it up during the painting and finishing phase.
I bet you are getting excited to have her in the air.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Looks really nice so far.
I am not good at the Foamboard “rings” to get curved surfaces. I have been practicing different techniques. I cut out extra pieces and try to make the curved surfaces without as much, or no paper. The problem comes with my glue gun melting the bare foam. Next time I am going to try just removing the paper on either side of the seam and using a quicker setting Titebond glue. That way I might be able to more easily sand and blend the seams. Build times will increase but maybe I will make it up during the painting and finishing phase.
I bet you are getting excited to have her in the air.

Sometimes melting the foam can come in handy, especially when the supporting formers don't exactly line up and you're trying to get the skins to line up. But generally, lower temps are better- does your glue gun have a "Low" setting? I'm also a big fan of using blue painters' tape to hold things in place. I'll be following your use of Titebond glue- it sounds lighter than hot glue sticks.

The weather in the PNW has been pretty crappy for flying lately, so it may be a little while longer. Its actually better this way, as I won't be tempted to rush through the build just to see her in the air.

Yankee2003

Sometimes melting the foam can come in handy, especially when the supporting formers don't exactly line up and you're trying to get the skins to line up. But generally, lower temps are better- does your glue gun have a "Low" setting? I'm also a big fan of using blue painters' tape to hold things in place. I'll be following your use of Titebond glue- it sounds lighter than hot glue sticks.

The weather in the PNW has been pretty crappy for flying lately, so it may be a little while longer. Its actually better this way, as I won't be tempted to rush through the build just to see her in the air.
No settings on the glue gun. But the good thing about the Titebond is that it actually sands down. And once you apply it, the water clean up is pretty nice as it is setting. It seems like the best method is to tack the pieces to start with hot glue and then use patience, Titebond and the blue tape to work your way around and finish the attachment.
Now that I have several planes to fly patience in the build process is much easier. Bad weather helps too.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Wrapping up the build today- but because of the size of the printed radials, I couldn't put the final cowling skins on. Had a couple of leftover pieces- maybe someone else smarter will know where they were supposed to go. I also didn't put the magnets on the nose; the fit was tight enough without them.

Without paint it balanced nicely with a 4S 3000 battery. I'm going to try and maiden it tomorrow, then will work on panel lines, paint, and put on the fancy stickers that came with the kit.

Attachments

• 20230316_205113.jpg
    20230316_205113.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230316_205148.jpg
    20230316_205148.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230316_204837.jpg
    20230316_204837.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

Enjoy your maiden……it will be great. Luckiest day of the year.🍀
Those extra pieces ….they’re too small to be important……right!?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Wrapping up the build today- but because of the size of the printed radials, I couldn't put the final cowling skins on. Had a couple of leftover pieces- maybe someone else smarter will know where they were supposed to go. I also didn't put the magnets on the nose; the fit was tight enough without them.

Without paint it balanced nicely with a 4S 3000 battery. I'm going to try and maiden it tomorrow, then will work on panel lines, paint, and put on the fancy stickers that came with the kit.
Those go on the inside of the canopy as additional support.