Beechcraft Model 18

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Wrapping up the build today- but because of the size of the printed radials, I couldn't put the final cowling skins on. Had a couple of leftover pieces- maybe someone else smarter will know where they were supposed to go. I also didn't put the magnets on the nose; the fit was tight enough without them.

Without paint it balanced nicely with a 4S 3000 battery. I'm going to try and maiden it tomorrow, then will work on panel lines, paint, and put on the fancy stickers that came with the kit.
Radials look great!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
All done! Time for a few glamour shots before she gets all dinged up. I loved the stickers Flite Test included with the kit. If I did it again, I would 3D print the radials at much smaller diameter to allow fitting the entire cowling on.

Attachments

• 20230319_144840.jpg
    20230319_144840.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230319_144924.jpg
    20230319_144924.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230319_144934.jpg
    20230319_144934.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230319_145007.jpg
    20230319_145007.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

All done! Time for a few glamour shots before she gets all dinged up. I loved the stickers Flite Test included with the kit. If I did it again, I would 3D print the radials at much smaller diameter to allow fitting the entire cowling on.
Decals look nice.

MrClean

Now, if you could just get a couple bust pictures of Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hacket in the front windows. No way to show Jim Backus rolling around in the back. Wonder how big a Quansit Aircraft hangar we'd have to build to be scale?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
How did the maiden go?

The maiden went fine, besides having my camera shut down (so no video). I've flown it a couple of times since then: its not really a high-performance flyer. I figure the big radials in front are not very aerodynamic, but its still its pretty up in the sky. If I built another one, I'd skip the fixed gear; it kind of spoils the looks of the plane in the air.

HOWEVER...

Just this morning I was trying to get in a quick flight with it and must have slid the battery to far aft. I haven't flown a plane with a tail-heavy GC like that in a looong time. Immediately after takeoff she started rambling sideways through the sky. I've got no control. I'm panicking. There's a fairly busy road by our club field- guess where the Beechcraft decided to go? Right to the road. Of course a car was coming, but I put it down okay right in front of the car. They had to stop and go around it- a little too close for everyone's comfort. However, because of the gear, the plane was fine. I was going to even try to rebalance the plane and fly it again, but the rain closed in and I had to call it a day.

Heck of a morning, Yankee2003!

Yankee2003

The maiden went fine, besides having my camera shut down (so no video). I've flown it a couple of times since then: its not really a high-performance flyer. I figure the big radials in front are not very aerodynamic, but its still its pretty up in the sky. If I built another one, I'd skip the fixed gear; it kind of spoils the looks of the plane in the air.

HOWEVER...

Just this morning I was trying to get in a quick flight with it and must have slid the battery to far aft. I haven't flown a plane with a tail-heavy GC like that in a looong time. Immediately after takeoff she started rambling sideways through the sky. I've got no control. I'm panicking. There's a fairly busy road by our club field- guess where the Beechcraft decided to go? Right to the road. Of course a car was coming, but I put it down okay right in front of the car. They had to stop and go around it- a little too close for everyone's comfort. However, because of the gear, the plane was fine. I was going to even try to rebalance the plane and fly it again, but the rain closed in and I had to call it a day.

Heck of a morning, Yankee2003!
WOW! That is some update. Glad she is flying well and she averted disaster to live another day.
Perhaps it was the pilot skills …😏

I've had a hankering to build the Beechcraft Model 18 ever since FT released it...and guess what showed up in the mail today? According to one of specs on the label, an F-18 Super Hornet! Typos aside...I'm looking forward to building it. Anybody else build one yet?
Hi where did you find the build video for that?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I don't think there is a dedicated build video for it, except for the unique features one (see link below). Most of the build is fairly straightforward anyway as long as you are familiar with symbol mapping or have built a few master series planes