Eflite F-18 Blue Angels, anyone else excited?

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
It's been a while since I posted here last. Did you all see that E-flite just came out with their 80mm EDF F/A-18 Hornet in the Blue Angels paint scheme? It's SOOOOO PRETTY! As a person who has watched the iconic demo team fly air shows virtually every year of my life it would be an honor to fly a model of this aircraft. I have honestly wanted to see Eflite do one of these since I got into the hobby back in late 2018. When I saw it, honestly a tear came to my eye! I guess I know what I'm saving up for by the end of the school year (it's incentive to get good grades, so I get a plane at the end of the semester if they are good.) now I just need to find a place with a large flying area and a runway!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
blue angels do not carry missiles or drop tanks but other than that it looks pretty cool.
If the Blue Angles flight demonstration team is anything like the Thunderbirds demonstration team, then those birds need to be combat capable. All they would need is the weapon pylons installed and bombs/missiles loaded. When I was in the USAF the t-birds needed to be combat ready in 24 hours if needed. That was *cough* a few years ago...

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
If the Blue Angles flight demonstration team is anything like the Thunderbirds demonstration team, then those birds need to be combat capable. All they would need is the weapon pylons installed and bombs/missiles loaded. When I was in the USAF the t-birds needed to be combat ready in 24 hours if needed. That was *cough* a few years ago...
They are combat capable. I’m not sure about the T-birds, but the Blue Angels would be painted grey, so they don’t stick out. I think the Thunderbirds would get painted over as well. I have never seen the Thunderbirds perform, but my dad has (back when they were still using the F-4)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, technically but in reality it would take some major work to get a blue f/a-18 into fighting shape. first of all all the weapons pylons have been removed, all the weapons systems have been removed (computers), and there is no gun installed. add to that they fly the oldest hornets in the naval inventory and you begin to get the picture. i was an f/a-18 mech in the navy and spent a lot of time at naval air facility el centro which is the winter home of the blues. got lots of up close time with their planes.

laters,

me :cool:

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
well, technically but in reality it would take some major work to get a blue f/a-18 into fighting shape. first of all all the weapons pylons have been removed, all the weapons systems have been removed (computers), and there is no gun installed. add to that they fly the oldest hornets in the naval inventory and you begin to get the picture. i was an f/a-18 mech in the navy and spent a lot of time at naval air facility el centro which is the winter home of the blues. got lots of up close time with their planes.

laters,

Well first of all Thank You for your service to our country. Sounds really neat being up close to those planes! Second of all I didn’t know that the gun and computers weren’t installed. At one of the shows the pilot of #7 said that they could be made ready for combat very easily. As for them being old Hornets were they A and B models? Or the updated C and D? I know that they are set to fly the Super Hornet here shortly if they aren’t already doing so.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Yeah, I know. I think they did that for pilots who want more drag on their aircraft.
Actually I’m now convinced that Eflite literally took their existing 80mm F-18 and just painted it to look like the Blue Angels. So it’s literally the same as this, missiles and drop tanks included. So forget what I said earlier about the drag. They just didn’t want to change the kit too much
9A2ED80F-22D7-447C-A237-016B7C087478.png

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...80mm/EFL3950.html?CAWELAID=320011980001546659

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Well first of all Thank You for your service to our country. Sounds really neat being up close to those planes! Second of all I didn’t know that the gun and computers weren’t installed. At one of the shows the pilot of #7 said that they could be made ready for combat very easily. As for them being old Hornets were they A and B models? Or the updated C and D? I know that they are set to fly the Super Hornet here shortly if they aren’t already doing so.

of course he is gonna tell you that. :LOL:

el centro is a goofy place. not much but a big bombing range with lot's of open sky. when the blues show up in the winter they pretty much own the place. fun part is, we would go out into the dez on our dirt bikes on days off and you could watch the angels fly above you while riding. even got buzzed a couple times.

at the time (early 90's) they were flying A and B models. not sure if they have upgraded but i would assume so by now. i doubt that there are any A's left with time left on their airframe. i think i also had also heard that they were supposed to get the super hornets soon as but admit i haven't kept up.

laters,

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
" when the blues show up in the winter they pretty much own the place. fun part is, we would go out into the dez on our dirt bikes on days off and you could watch the angels fly above you while riding. even got buzzed a couple times."

Oh, that's neat! Just curious, did you get to see any Tomcats up close?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
" when the blues show up in the winter they pretty much own the place. fun part is, we would go out into the dez on our dirt bikes on days off and you could watch the angels fly above you while riding. even got buzzed a couple times."

Oh, that's neat! Just curious, did you get to see any Tomcats up close?

lot's of tomkitties. thing with them is no one realizes just how big those planes are. they are huge in comparison. put an f-16 next to one and it looks like a lawn dart. saw 2 kitties break the sound barrier just above deck level on the USS Carl Vinson. talk about a bang!

also, one of the squadron's on our base was VX-4, the west coast test and development squad for the navy. they had the infamous Playboy kitty...

kitty.jpg

laters,

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Nice! I’m thinking about also saving up for the Freewing F-14. It’s a twin 80mm EDF. I would probably get the eflite Blue Angels though if I had to choose between the two.

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
I would like to see someone design an EDF Foam Board F-14 though. I know Mesa RC Foam Fighters designed a prop in slot Tomcat, but I am more partial towards EDFs

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Ok. So here's the thing. I have had the Freewing F-18 Super Hornet 64mm 3s since late July. I have had two SHORT flight attempts with it, but the full flying stabilizers as well as an incorrect CG (and maybe insufficient thrust) has led to some cosmetic damage. I recently managed to fix the CG by taking the gear apart and putting the nose gear steering servo into the nose, which was absent last time I tried to fly it. Anyway I plan to try this soon. After I maiden it with the cosmetic damage, I plan to paint it up like the Blue Angels, any place that you guys know of where I can find stickers (or make stickers for that matter?) Also, what spray paint is closest to Blue Angels blue? image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok. So here's the thing. I have had the Freewing F-18 Super Hornet 64mm 3s since late July. I have had two SHORT flight attempts with it, but the full flying stabilizers as well as an incorrect CG (and maybe insufficient thrust) has led to some cosmetic damage. I recently managed to fix the CG by taking the gear apart and putting the nose gear steering servo into the nose, which was absent last time I tried to fly it. Anyway I plan to try this soon. After I maiden it with the cosmetic damage, I plan to paint it up like the Blue Angels, any place that you guys know of where I can find stickers (or make stickers for that matter?) Also, what spray paint is closest to Blue Angels blue? View attachment 181270 View attachment 181271
View attachment 181272
The closet color would probably be bright apple red! :p