Beginner - Considering a telemaster build

enola_yay

Hi all,

I recently built a Guillow’s Piper Cub balsa kit and had a lot of fun. I have only built foam board planes in the past but the Guillows kit has convinced me to try and build an electric balsa plane. I did some searching around and it seems that the Telemaster is a good kit for beginner builders, but hobbyexpress.com seems to be out of stock. I found this one on ebay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182890186512

Just want to get some feedback from others before I make the purchase. This one comes with all the electronics too — is it a good deal?

Thanks!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Telemaster line is (or has been?) discontinued and the rights to the design are being sold. It's a fantastic flying design and it isn't overly complex to build. Another builder on this forum is currently building the Mini Telemaster and has a build thread you can look at to get an idea of how difficult it may be.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's a decent kit to build, but some of the things about the wing build are really quite annoying. It's a good deal with the electronics though, and has a rep as a great flyer. Here's the build log:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?38845-Mini-Telemaster-Kit-Bashing

I'd also suggest looking into the Switchback, Dandy, or EVA Sport from Mountain Models as being excellent kits for early balsa builds. Brian's stuff is very well designed, kits are of excellent quality, and the planes fly great.

enola_yay

I'd also suggest looking into the Switchback, Dandy, or EVA Sport from Mountain Models as being excellent kits for early balsa builds. Brian's stuff is very well designed, kits are of excellent quality, and the planes fly great.

I checked out the kits on Mountain Models and I really like them, might look into those instead!

Silverdog

I too have been considering buying a "new" as opposed to previously owned (Like most all my RC gear) Kit. I have been drawn to the Switchback. I just have to convince the wife that the other 42 kits she counted in my shop are not enough!

jaredstrees

I've got a switchback on order right now. Going to be my first balsa build. Definitely subscribed to your thread, Rockyboy! the EVA and switchback look to be very similar.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome!! :applause:

I think you'll love it - make sure to start up a build thread and let us know the link to it so we can follow along and offer encouragement.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I do most of my building indoors between 9pm and midnight, so it's always building season for me :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got a switchback on order right now. Going to be my first balsa build. Definitely subscribed to your thread, Rockyboy! the EVA and switchback look to be very similar.

Having built both of them I can tell you that the EVA and Switchback are fairly similar and neither is difficult as long as you read the instructions and take your time.

The Switchback is the same basic platform as the Dandy - both use the same wing with a slight change between them to handle the low-wing (Switchback) or high-wing (Dandy) configuration. These planes are great park fliers and I found a simple 3S 1000mAh battery to be a perfect size.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
With the EVA you start with any of the individual wings (with the fuselage) and add additional wings later as desired.