Beginners DLG

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I have seen a couple of discuss gliders on some web stores, but what do you recommend as a simple (and preferably small) glider? Im considering trying to scratch-build one.

crash bandicoot

My Great Planes Fling DLG is pretty tough. It's taken a stall from 10 ft. The bals is reinforced by CF in the spar so it's pretty tough stuff. The tail feather seems to be slightly tough, but more lucky. But as they have said in the podcast before. It's hard to crash and ruin a tail. It's not like a Porsche 911 and its going to go tail first in a crash.

If you don't like cars skip that last sentence.

I also took a shot at building my own out of some foam, posterboard (wing skins), and some carbon fiber (fuselage rod and wing spar)
It did ok. I built way heavy, and it would only get 20 feet in the air, but it was fun for about 3 days before I broke it in half.

Grendel

If you're considering buying instead of scratch building, i recommend Libelle. I tried HK miniDLG and it was a disaster (in a way). Libelle is a pure joy.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
If you're considering buying instead of scratch building, i recommend Libelle. I tried HK miniDLG and it was a disaster (in a way). Libelle is a pure joy.

What happened?
I was looking at the HKDLG for a few minutes but then was distracted by an add for a 200cc Pitts S2B... :p

meehan

Curious what happened with the miniDLG? I had the HK miniDLG and probably got close to 1000 launches out of it until the wing finally ripped off the boom during launch. After that I got a Versus DLG, got disoriented and lawn darted from around 2 meters up and the boom broke off the pod, still working on that repair.