best 8 (ish) channel receiver

Battery800

Elite member
I recently got a radiomaster tx16s, so I can use almost every brand of receiver. Up until now, I've only been using spektrum ar410s and one ar620. Now that I have more options, I need a 6+ channel receiver. Can anyone recommend a receiver with good range?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
what type of range are you looking for?
the radio master brand lists 1km for range on their receivers, I am sure the spektrum stuff does that also. if your looking for more then something in that ballpark, your going to to want to go to one of the long range protocals (which will require picking up the needed module)

JasonK

no, just far enough so that they can go to the edges of my sight
I was just rocketing around my arrow Sunday LOS on a RadioMaster 6 channel and got it down to the extents of a small sliver in the sky, that I was flying based on 'which way it the speck' moving. My radio reports lost of telemetry and low RSSI and I never got either report the whole time (but have had it happen on landings far away from me - I don't have one of the antenna sticking 'up' so they ended up in the grass).

'edges of my sight' i going to be size dependent on the plane, but I am fairly sure any receiver is going to do you for line of sight flying for any park flyer (monster builds might be able to push line of sight far enough to be picky)

JasonK

So... now that we have determined that your range is probably not the issue... how do you define 'best'?

[mine is functionality vs cost and I Generally don't need a lot of functionality in my receivers]

whackflyer

Master member
I recently got a radiomaster tx16s, so I can use almost every brand of receiver. Up until now, I've only been using spektrum ar410s and one ar620. Now that I have more options, I need a 6+ channel receiver. Can anyone recommend a receiver with good range?
Radiomaster R168. 16$ from Grayson Hobby and you can get RSSI and VBAT telemetry. The ones @JasonK posted are good too, just not as many features.

JasonK

Radiomaster R168. 16$ from Grayson Hobby and you can get RSSI and VBAT telemetry. The ones @JasonK posted are good too, just not as many features.

That looks like a nice option for LOS flying if slightly bigger craft, then you can monitor your battery also. (looks like ~$20 for the R168 + vbat sensor)

whackflyer

Master member
the receiver was listed for $16, the vbat sensor was another $4..
You don't need a VBAT sensor for the R168. Single wire from the positive ESC lead to the VBAT port on the receiver. It's just a single pin servo wire. You can buy the adapter but I cut an old servo wire apart down to a single wire and pin and soldered it straight into the XT60 on my ESC lead.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Only receivers I’ve used with more than 8 channels are genuine Spektrum ones. They work really well but aren’t cheap.

Battery800

Elite member
Only receivers I’ve used with more than 8 channels are genuine Spektrum ones. They work really well but aren’t cheap.
That's the problem. I checked and the knew ones are like 80-120 dollar depending on whether you choose stabilization, not including the ~30 dollar satellite receiver for good measure