Best Floater Jet/ Easystar type plane.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I have an extended vacation and I want to get one plane for the trip that can carry a Mobius, handles some wind, inexpensive (I may leave it with family - we will be back a gain) and be friendly for teaching. The Easy Star type planes seem like the perfect choice.

Thoughts on:

1. AXN Floater Jet
2. FMS Easy Trainer
3. One of the Bixlers.

I am leaning towards the Easy Trainer because I perceive it to be a high quality plane.

brettp2004

The AXN was my first plane. I loved it and would still be flying it if the motor hadn't burnt up. I've never flown and easy star so I can't compare it to that. I have flown a bixler and I think they are very similar in performance. Hate to say it, but I think I like the AXN a little more. Definitely a good plane to learn on.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
As you mention the EasyStar - Why not look at the Shark?
The MPX Shark is smaller and more easy for transport as it is easy to get back in the original package.
Elevators just snap off without need to disconnect pushrod. Optional wheels for take off and landing or float för sea flying.
Smaller than the ES type planes but good for a Mobius.
And the looks - a lot smarter with a clear canopy and a pilot!

ZoomNBoom

I found the bixler (2) less than ideal for training. It has a very high tendency to self level its wings; you may think, like I did, thats a good thing for a newbie, but I found it confuses total newbies as to how ailerons and banking actually works. Instead of giving counter aileron, they just let the plane do it for them and its difficult to teach them to make proper sustained turns. ANd if you are no longer a newbie, I find it mildly irritating to have a half assed flight controller I cant turn off, especially when inverted :p.

The FMS looks very tame, ive not flown it, but I fear it may quickly bore you, so I think the AXN is still your best bet. And that the AXN can handle wind, I cant find the video right now, but I think Bruce from rcmodelreview proved that beyond any doubt flying it in a hurricane.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
the Shark is definitely interesting but it looks kind of spendy in the US.
160 without any options is kind of spendy :-(
I ordered one yesterday and has to test it in our most common weather - strong winds.
Today 11-19 m/s (24-42 mph) - I am going to fly the HK Skipper today and i might be the only one filling any flights in the club logbook today ;-)

ZoomNBoom

yeah I should have put a smiley in there, but it was still windy enough that Id think twice before flying anything.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
My two cents: thumbs down on the Bix3. I had to do a lot of mods and repairs to get it into decent shape. To wit:

- One servo was bad out of the box, and another went bad after a few flights. The second one was probably at least partially due to some binding in one of the plastic hinges they give you (so rip out the hinge and re-hinge with Blenderm, then replace yet another servo),

- and speaking of servos -- replacing the rudder and elevator servos is a pain; the way they designed it is extremely hostile to serviceability (Flitetest mentions that in their review of the Bix3). I went ahead and replaced the elevator servo (the third one I replaced) with a trustworthy brand as a precaution, because I didn't want to risk a bunch of expensive FPV gear with a questionable servo in the most important place,

- the landing gear is loose/rickety/flimsy garbage, resulting in atrocious behaviors for takeoffs/landings, even after efforts to adjust it (so I ripped it out and cobbled together a tricycle gear config),

- the wing-securing system (plastic wing-nuts with tiny, thin plastic overcentering tabs) just looks absurdly fragile/inadequate (so I jury-rigged a backup securing system),

- the FPV platform doesn't allow for free camera movement if you are not just using a fixed-position camera (so I made my own FPV platform),

- the ESC was only 20A and I measured more than 20A (albeit briefly) on a wattmeter test on a fresh battery with the stock motor and prop (so I swapped out to a 30A ESC),

- speaking of props -- there was vibration when using the stock plastic prop even after balancing it (so I swapped to a same-size APC prop and that was better).