Aero L-39 Albatros - 50mm EDF jet

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Has anyone figured out a modular edf design? I have too many edf planes needing the 50mm? (this being one)
I don't think so, If someone did make a modular design it probably wouldn't fit, the EDF just fits in the fuse.

Once I get the plan and build mine, i am going to paint it like this

View attachment 141672
That will be really, really cool. Make sure you take a few pictures!!

So I know I said I’d be attempting a flight, but my tx conked put so I’m kinda grounded for a little while...it’s all ready for the maiden though
That's pretty bad, is it still under any kind of warranty?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Started work on painting!!!

P1280284.JPG

whackflyer

Master member
Just to confirm, y’all are running this bird on 4s for the edf version? I want to build one, but don’t have any 4s batteries, and I’m on a budget. I’ve seen there’s 3s versions of 50mm edf’s with 4800kv fans, would one of those work? I’m clueless about edf’s haven’t ever owned one.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just to confirm, y’all are running this bird on 4s for the edf version? I want to build one, but don’t have any 4s batteries, and I’m on a budget. I’ve seen there’s 3s versions of 50mm edf’s with 4800kv fans, would one of those work? I’m clueless about edf’s haven’t ever owned one.
Yes, there running on the 4s version, the 3s fans that I've seen produce less thrust than the 4s version and not enough thrust to have a fun time flying this particular jet.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
As far as CG goes could it handle a little larger battery? How about the weight side of things?
Yes there is plenty of room to shift the battery around, I don't think the airframe can take much more weight. What size battery are you thinking of?

whackflyer

Master member
Possibly up to 1800 or so. If I’m not mistaken I’ve seen people running 2650s in @Zephyr1‘s f86, so if I build that I want to have some larger batteries to balance it out...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Possibly up to 1800 or so. If I’m not mistaken I’ve seen people running 2650s in @Zephyr1‘s f86, so if I build that I want to have some larger batteries to balance it out...
I believe his F-86 has quite a bit more wing area, his wing cubic loading is around 10 while the L-39's is at 15. He does recommend a 1300 for his F-86 so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

whackflyer

Master member
Well I ordered a 1300mah 50C 4s, Hyperion G5. Best deal I could find on eBay, cheaper even then the Chinese “Ovonic” batteries... not sure when I’ll get an EDF, but for the meantime I’ve got some free 30a escs and some nice durable 3 blade props so I’ll have some fun with that...

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well I ordered a 1300mah 50C 4s, Hyperion G5. Best deal I could find on eBay, cheaper even then the Chinese “Ovonic” batteries... not sure when I’ll get an EDF, but for the meantime I’ve got some free 30a escs and some nice durable 3 blade props so I’ll have some fun with that...
Nice that's a good batt. Are you planning on building V1 or V2?