Best power pack C trainer?

Crunchybananas

Hello, I have the power pack C because I eventually want to get a edge 540, but I was wondering what is the best trainer for this powerpack. Specifically I want a plane that can fly very slowly (because I think that looks cool and saves battery) and very good turn radius, as I don't have to much room to fly in. I would prefer having a "cool looking" plane like a warbird or that biplane baby blender, but I care most about the low speed performance and turn radius. Thanks a lot!

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Hello, I have the power pack C because I eventually want to get a edge 540, but I was wondering what is the best trainer for this powerpack. Specifically I want a plane that can fly very slowly (because I think that looks cool and saves battery) and very good turn radius, as I don't have to much room to fly in. I would prefer having a "cool looking" plane like a warbird or that biplane baby blender, but I care most about the low speed performance and turn radius. Thanks a lot!

I think that the P-40 or the Simple Scout will be good. They are both good trainers, but I can't tell you from experience about the P-40 since I haven't made it, but the SS is one of my favorite planes!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My vote goes to the simple storch and the speedster. Technically the speedster is a B pack plane (I think) but you shouldn't have too many issues with it on a C pack. The Storch is also very slow but it won't turn tight like an indoor plane. Also the simple scout uses a B pack but a C pack should go on it without too many issues also.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, it's not classified as a trainer, but it will fit the bill fairly nicely - build a Bushwacker.

It'll run on a C pack, it's smooth enough to fly, and will definitely let you transition into the more 3D flying that the 540 will get you in trouble with :) I built a couple of them before I got a UMX Timber (and now have my dad's old Timber) and they're basically the same plane, and fly a lot like a trainer would.

Headbang

Master member
The explorer, not a warbird, not "cool" but a good trainer, quick and easy to build, 2 wing options, fun to fly. The explorer also saves you broken props. And is modular so you don't have to rebuild the whole plane when you pile it in. This plane will take you from complete novice to sport flyer, it will do all basic sport aerobatics. Good chance the motor and electronics will survive to the next plane due to the fact they are protected and out of the way of ground.

Crunchybananas

Well, it's not classified as a trainer, but it will fit the bill fairly nicely - build a Bushwacker.

It'll run on a C pack, it's smooth enough to fly, and will definitely let you transition into the more 3D flying that the 540 will get you in trouble with :) I built a couple of them before I got a UMX Timber (and now have my dad's old Timber) and they're basically the same plane, and fly a lot like a trainer would.
I think I might build a storch first- in the video Peter says that the bushwacker is like a harder to fly storch. I will probably build one once I feel comfortable flying the storch. thanks for the help!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My vote goes to the simple storch and the speedster. Technically the speedster is a B pack plane (I think) but you shouldn't have too many issues with it on a C pack. The Storch is also very slow but it won't turn tight like an indoor plane. Also the simple scout uses a B pack but a C pack should go on it without too many issues also.
I second the speedster. I flew mine on 2s with the C pack and it made a fantastic trainer.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I think I might build a storch first- in the video Peter says that the bushwacker is like a harder to fly storch. I will probably build one once I feel comfortable flying the storch. thanks for the help!

I added a few inches to the wing in my last bushwacker and it is probably the best trainer in my fleet. The bonus is you can always trim the wings and have it be a bit more sporty.

sprzout

Mentor
I added a few inches to the wing in my last bushwacker and it is probably the best trainer in my fleet. The bonus is you can always trim the wings and have it be a bit more sporty.

Right?! :) I found them to be a lot more fun than I expected - and if you get more skilled and decide that you want to add flaps to the wing, it's not hard to do - and it gives you some more versatility and another thing to add to your skillset.

sprzout

Mentor

The Storch is a simple plane to fly, but a word of caution - several people have built them and had the wings fold in flight due to the weak wing spars. You might need to find some sort of reinforcement for it (like a carbon fiber tube, for example) to keep that from happening. If you're going this route, totally fine - but keep your turns BIG and sweeping so you don't overload the wings.

Aviador

I also like that it fits the swappable power pod so if you don’t want to spend to much you can easy swap your one motor and esc around to other swappable ones. Which if I understand correctly includes the bushwhacker.

sprzout

Mentor
I also like that it fits the swappable power pod so if you don’t want to spend to much you can easy swap your one motor and esc around to other swappable ones. Which if I understand correctly includes the bushwhacker.

TECHNICALLY, yes, you can swap the power pods. But on the Bushwacker, it's a little more difficult to get the power pod out. I've found in practice that it's not as easy as everyone makes it sound. :)

Aviador

TECHNICALLY, yes, you can swap the power pods. But on the Bushwacker, it's a little more difficult to get the power pod out. I've found in practice that it's not as easy as everyone makes it sound. :)
Ic the only swappable I have is the storch so I haven’t tried it really. I plan to build the bushwhacker next and then I’ll find out I guess.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Ic the only swappable I have is the storch so I haven’t tried it really. I plan to build the bushwhacker next and then I’ll find out I guess.
I like the way the bushwacker, though "technically" a swappable, also kind of isnt. The fuselage is easily repairable and also protects the power pod...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I flew my Bushwacker on Wednesday this week, its now become my favorite FT plane. Flights can be nice and slow, I have flaps so can slow it down even more if I want. landings and take offs are a piece of cake, great for practicing STOL's, ideal for small space flying like parks etc. I would happily build another tomorrow, straight forward build and easier to fly. Probably easier to fly than my Volantex Trainstar and that's a really good ARFT trainer.