Best prop choice?

ruffduffer

Hello, everyone. I have never subscribed to a forum before, but Flight Test and everyone on here is so helpful. I flew RC glow for 23 years, but that was 18 years ago. I did get to fly a friend's electric J-3 cub a few years back and fell back in love flying. No fuel, no mess, no fuel soaked covering loosening.... etc. Anyway, my question is: What would be the best prop for slow, relaxed flying,( with enough power for maneuvers) for the FT mini SE5? I will be purchasing the "F" power pack and using an 850mah 2s battery pack. This power pack comes with 2- 6045 props. Are these the best choice for what I want to achieve? Thank you in advance for your advise.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums!

I haven't flown the SE5 yet (or used the F pack motor either), but in general if you go up in diameter but down in pitch, you can increase thrust at the cost of reducing top speed; the motor is working harder to swing the larger prop, but the lower pitch results in lower forward speed through the air and less air resistance than the higher pitch prop, this balancing things out with the motor current draw and putting you back into a safe zone with the current draw. I do think you're on the right spec with that battery though - keeping the weight and voltage (which drives RPM) down are both good things for a slow flyer experience.

That said, before running a particular prop on a motor, I like to do a google image search for the motor number and look at the various prop test data tables that will pop up - that makes it pretty easy to find the amp draw with various props to make sure I'm not going to overpower the motor or esc.

So while I can't help guide you specifically on the SE5 performance hopefully this will put you on the right path of experimentation to get the flight experience you're looking for.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Excellent! When you have some flight results, be sure to post back here or on the SE5 build thread so other's who are looking for the same slow and gentle flight experience have a place to start from too - with either what works well, or what doesn't work so well :)

Happy flying!

Busted Bricks

If you want to experiment with prop sizes I highly recommend getting a wattmeter. That way you can check current draw as you throttle up. It will pay for itself in saved ESCs and motors.

ruffduffer

Excellent! When you have some flight results, be sure to post back here or on the SE5 build thread so other's who are looking for the same slow and gentle flight experience have a place to start from too - with either what works well, or what doesn't work so well :)

Happy flying!

Will do. I see how this forum can help everyone.