Binding With MCX2 Transmitter

Burntoast

I want to build a foam board trainer. Is there a receiver out there that will bind to the transmitter that came with Blade MCX2 Heli?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Blade Helis do normally come with Spektrum DSM transmitters.
There are lots of receivers in different prices from real cheap and up on the market.
Look for DSM2 or DSMX.
It is hard to recommend any supplier if you do not tell where you live.
You might have a local supplier who can deliver today or you might order from Asia and wait up to 40 days.

Burntoast

I'm in the US and I'm cheap, also new to all things RC.
I was thinking that I should be looking at a DSM2 receiver but then I looked at this and noticed that some of those planes have DSM2 4-ch receivers, yet they are not compatible. Is there some other reason they wouldn't bind with one-another?

I'm a little confused so if someone could explain using analogies and pictures I'd appreciate it.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Where do you see that the radios wont bind to different receivers?
You can not use a simple transmitter to a complex plane.
You can use a 6 or more channel receiver to a 4 or 5 ch transmitter but you can only use the first channels in the receiver.
There are some special helimixes when you use special helis but you can normally use a plane setup for simple coax helis where the gyros and mixing is done in the "brick receiver".
Your transmitter is probably the 4 ch MLP4DSM

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BT,

The compatibility probably depends more on the mixing/reversing involved in the plane -- the 4ch DSM transmitters can only assign their channels to the sticks directly -- each stick axis controls only that channel and can't be reversed. If the plane has elevons, or need to have a reversed servo direction, the radio can't do it for you.

You *might* still get away with it on some airframes by adding a mixing or reversing module (it plugs inline between the servos and the RX, and does the mixing onboard the airframe so the radio doesn't have to), but programmable radios are so cheap these days, they're falling out of style (and gettign harder to find).

Burntoast

Where do you see that the radios wont bind to different receivers? MLP4DSM
The link was the word "this" in my post. I thought it would underline the link.
http://www.bindnfly.com/compatibleproducts/
I don't remember which ones, but they where 4 Ch

BT,

The compatibility probably depends more on the mixing/reversing involved in the plane -- the 4ch DSM transmitters can only assign their channels to the sticks directly -- each stick axis controls only that channel and can't be reversed. If the plane has elevons, or need to have a reversed servo direction, the radio can't do it for you.

You *might* still get away with it on some airframes by adding a mixing or reversing module (it plugs inline between the servos and the RX, and does the mixing onboard the airframe so the radio doesn't have to), but programmable radios are so cheap these days, they're falling out of style (and gettign harder to find).

You're saying the radio won't bind to a particular DSM2 receiver because of the way the receiver is set up.
So my radio should bind to an ordinary DSM2 receiver, right

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The red X tells that the transmitter is not compatible with the features on the plane/heli, like mixes and nbr of channels.
Your 4 ch TX is compatible with the EMBER plane from what i can read - and then it is probably Ok with a trainer plane.

There are different ways to bind a tranmitter to a receiver.
Larger receivers use a bind plug.
"Brick" receivers normally go into bind mode if they are powered on before the transmitter is powered on.
Always read and try to understand the manual for your tx-rx combination.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You're saying the radio won't bind to a particular DSM2 receiver because of the way the receiver is set up.
So my radio should bind to an ordinary DSM2 receiver, right

I'm saying the RX and TX *will* bind, but when you move the sticks the control surfaces won't move the directions you need it to.

For any airframe where the surfaces are the standard 4 channel format (throttle, elevator, rudder, ailerons) and the servos are set up to travel the right directions without needing to be reversed, your radio shold bind and fly that airframe without modification. If the surfaces require mixing (like elevons -- a hybrid between ailerons and elevators) or reversing direction (rudder stick left but the rudder turns right) that radio won't be able to help you.

Teh 4 channel DSM TX's also aren't full range -- they'll do fine in a small feild, but they don't have the power of their bigger siblings.

The DX5e (the next step up in the Spektrum TXs) will alllow you to reverse any servo that's moving reverse, and it can switch to a very basic elevon/delta wing mix. The DX6i (or the Orange T-6 knockoff) will do that, plus give you dual rates, limits, expos, and custom mixes (like adding a little up elevator when you throttle back) -- those might not seem that useful, but if you're gonna stick with this hobby, I wouldn't suggest anything without the basic features the DX6i has.

In the mean time, if you're careful how you mount your servos and pick up a Spektrum/OrangeRx/LemonRx receiver, you can use that radio to fly all of the Flight test planes *except* the FT Delta and FT Versa (And the Krakken if they *EVER* get around to releasing plans . . . ). They use elevon control. everything else uses RET (rudder/elevator/throttle), Bank-n-yank(aileron/elevator/thottle) or full house (all 4 in standard setup), though you might need a servo Y for the dual servo ailerons (like the Spit/Racer/Duster).

Burntoast

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade to a better TX later. (had to look up what TX means) I just wanted to get in the air as cheap as possible for now. I really appreciate all the help. I'll probably be bugging you guys with all kinds of beginner questions as I proceed.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BT,

no sweat -- get some air time however you can -- plenty of time to upgrade later!

And we've all been noobs -- only way you can get over that is to ask!

BTW, welcome to the forums!