Bird of Time Balsa Kit Build Thread

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Josh, if the BoT is taking up too much space, I'd be happy to give it a foster home. :D

Of all the planes I've ever wanted (and the list is long!), the BoT has been on that wish-list the longest. I'm thinking about building a cradle to hold it to the top of my Kadet Senior so I could simply haul it up to altitude. I suppose I could tow it up as well, but a cradle seems like it would be easier to do.

So that's a big fat "NO" to your foster home idea! But I'll still give you that DTFB Nerdnic Mig and the colored tape, just as soon as I remember to bring it to work with me!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Any recommendation on which covering to use?

I've actually been happy with the Hobby King stuff. Plenty of colors available, plus it's pretty inexpensive. Many people have brand preference, but I use film from multiple companies and am generally happy enough.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks great Craig, is the rudder control a cable? Never thought about using cables to control, just seen piano wire, but I suppose on the larger planes that cables are used more?

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
The rudder is piano wire and pretty thick stuff. I've not measured it but it seems to be coming out at around .090" or so. I'm thinking of finding a way to use a lighter material but I haven't given it a ton of thought yet.

The cable is needed mostly for the radius around the bend. I didn't even try to change the plan since this is what came recommended from RCMods.com. I just left that part alone.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I never thought about doing that, but I guess it works on lawnmowers so why not rc, right? I have been laid up for the past two days, so I am finally making progress on my T-Craft and have almost finished the tail feathers, then on to the fun part...the wings! Not laided up enough to not fly though, been flying the past 3 days straight!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The BoT is unique on how it controls the elevator. The entire horizontal surface moves, and normally calls for a bellcrank or servo in the tail, if I remember correctly. That pushrod gets the weight and complexity out of the tail while still allowing the movement called for in the design. I wonder why the designer didn't do that in the first place! :)

TexMechsRobot

I think I'm going to head out there tomorrow after work to get some flying in with the FT DR1 and Radian. Just some lazy flying for the evening while the weather is nice.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have been float flying the Tundra and just flying the TT in my backyard football field near my house. Havnt had time to go over to the Hawks club, but did drive by there and saw someone hovering the other day. Flying season is finally here!!!!

TexMechsRobot

Thanks for the compliment. It's funny, even as a builder, I don't feel the desire to show off ribs. They all pretty much look the same and you can tell they're there by the way the film covers them.

I'm thinking about going solid black with whit accents on the bottom, solid white on the top with red accents, black fuselage, and white control surfaces with red accents. None of it transparent.

How does the HobbyKing film do when covering itself? I'm thinking stripes and the like.

TexMechsRobot

Normally the weight wouldn't concern me but on a build like this, with this much surface area, and where weight is the enemy (and I'm already adding a bunch of battery and motor weight), it all adds up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I've built this thing heavier than I had to and that if I wreck it (which let's be honest, RC planes crash), I'll probably scratch built the next one with a big emphasis on weight savings using lessons learned from this one.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Neucover (HK, Value hobby . . . a few other places) runs a lot like Ultracote. Bonds and shrinks at low temps, so it goes on very easy. The plastic is a bit softer -- it takes a bit softer touch because it scratches easier (polyester film v. Mylar).

Overall, I've been pleased with it. Plenty good about it and CHEAP.

As for showing the ribs . . . seriously. Let the wing shine:

DSC04000.JPG

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I like the chart, I copied it for reference, wish it had durability on it too, but I supposed the heavier the more durable? I really like the translucent wing, very nice.

TexMechsRobot

More pictures. I got the nose piece from RCAirMods.com cut in last night. The 3D printed part is designed for a perfect fit on the ARF so I had to make it fit. It only required a couple of gussets which will help with sanding the correct profile. I'm going to have to cut into the first bulkhead in order to get the battery in and I don't think it'll weaken the structure too much. I could get a smaller battery I guess but this is the one that is recommended for this motor and plane. I'm not really sure how much power it will take to get to altitude or how many climbs I'll get out of this battery. Maybe I'll hook up all the electronics and do a bench test to test my power draw before I start cutting stuff up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It's starting to look really good! Lots of little details to wrap up but it looks like a plane so far.
4.jpg

I won't get any more work done until Sunday since I'm going flying this evening and am going out of town for the second half of the week. I'm anxious to sand the fuselage profile and move to the next step.

I've settled on a black, white, and red color scheme that is approved by my wife. No transparent panels. My budget is a bit slim at the moment so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I can order the covering. I'm going to do my best to drag out other parts of the build so that I don't have a bunch of down time.

Last edited: