Bits and parts

Hello,

I had gotten into the electric plane hobby a long time ago when you were considered odd ball to put an electric motor in an airplane. I am thinking about re-entering the hobby and get my sons interested in radio control as well. Only lack of money, getting married and transitioning from school to work got me out of the hobby.

It looks like the hobby has certainly changed. Lithium packs, brushless motors, 2.4 ghz radios... I was hoping to reuse some of the things that I have already. Maybe you can help a noob out with some suggetions?

This stuffs old - but still works.

What I have:

Zagi flying wing - just needs some minor fixes - way too fast to teach the kids. Looks like I have a AM radio and some small servors in it. I have a Futaba 3 channel radio that runs it. I think a standard 7.2 v battery pack ran it. Fun plane and I could just toss my old car packs in it.

DuraTrax - NiCad charger, looks like a pot controls the output. Also has trickle charge.

Futaba 3 channel FM radio and looks like a lightweight reciever (I think I was planning to make a park flyer)

Pixie 7p speed controller

Wattage IC 380 speed controller

Graupner 400 brushed motor with a gear drive (looks pretty neat)
Maxx 400 motor with a gear drive (doesn't appear to have a mounting method for it.)

Looks like I have an egg timer style charger as well.

So the hobby has moved on as far as equipment, but is any of this usable? Or should I clean house and toss out some of it?

Suggestions on some combo with airplanes and equiment to make it work. I like the old fogey and would like to teach the kids on it and brush off my skills.

Thanks!

Spork

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Most of that stuff could easily be reused. I think your biggest issue will be weight- with most of the electric things these days, especially the FT foam board ones, weight is a big factor in how well it flies, and the older equipment is often too heavy.

The upside to older equipment is that nobody else is flying 72mhz anymore... :D You should be able to source the remaining needed parts from eBay and make a complete system for the stuff that you already have. Eventually though, it will be worth looking to upgrade your equipment as it will, on the whole, make your experience with the FT planes easier.

For your equipment, I think that the bloody wonder/baron or the storch are your best options. The bloody's can carry enough weight that a heavier setup wouldn't be much of an issue, but it wouldn't be as beginner friendly as the storch. The storch can carry the heavier electronics setup easier due to its light wing loading, but slow speed performance might hurt a bit. The fogey really likes to fly light, so unfortunately I don't think your current gear would be the best option for that particular plane.