Bloody Wonder Batteery Placement

senator63

Has anyone tried to fly this thing with the battery attached to the bottom of the power pod? I saw some old videos of V1 and it looked like the battery was underneath. Would make it easier to switch batteries at the field.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can do that, but be careful about how and where you land. I'd stay off the gravel for sure!

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I've done that, but make sure you have a landing gear. I've been landing on grass and rubber road (at my club) and the stickers of the batteries were getting bad because it always landed on it's battery. Now I have landing gear, AND I put the battery inside the pod.

I've also noticed that because of the large vertical stabilizer, it tends to land on it's motor, which will be bad for the bearings/shaft in the long run. A simple landing gear is the solution!

senator63

I have gear but wanted to fly it by hand once just to trim it out. I plan to follow the FT instructions with a half inch throw on the control surfaces and a 30% expo. I fly off grass so should be OK for a flight or two but LG is definitely in the cards. Wasn't quite sure what you meant about landing on the motor. Are you landing under power or dead sticking in?