Bloody wonder setup question from Australia

Squares

Hi guys,
This is my first build and I need some advice on what setup to run in this bloody wonder.
It's made from foam board sourced in Australia, and the current setup is a NTM 28-26s 1200kv, hobbyking 20A esc, 8x3.8 prop, 1800mah 3s battery. The total weight is 538g.
Because the Aussie board is heavier than the Adams board, I need some ideas on a better setup to get more power as I'm flying ok at the moment but at 3/4 to full throttle for most of the flight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ktmrocks

Try a 9x5 or similar (9x4.7, 9x4.5 etc.). your setup should be able to handle it.

I agree, a 9X5 or even an 8X6. The 9X5 will give you really strong climbs and quick acceleration, but will shorten flight times, all other things being equal.

The 8X6 will also shorten flight times a bit and will not climb quite as fast as the 9X5, but with the light weight of the BW you may not be looking at a huge difference. What you will notice are blistering fast speeds in dives and straight and level.

Do you plan on flying your BW in combat?

If so, the longer prop will be the best choice since you will want tractor-like grunt to accelerate quickly with the added weight and drag of a streamer.

Get both props and see what you like.

Cheers!

bacpck

Looks great, I am having a hard time getting my CG good on mine with the same set up, however I am trying to run the battery internally.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
If you want the real power from that motor use a 8x5 prop on 1300 to 1500 mah 4s batterys 20-25c batterys

Squares

Thanks guys, looks like I'm getting some props and 4s battery's to try out.

Any recommendations for a bigger motor/esc setup still using 3 or 4s battery's, if I choose to go down that path.

I will eventually using it for combat, but the crepe streamers I've found so far are too fragile. What do you guys use.

jayz 84

For combat try that motor on 4s and the 8x5 prop and with how light its gonna be with a 1300mah im sure you wont need much more youll have a fun time keeping up with it. But if then you want more let us know. And on another note bigger esc or make sure it gets lots of cooling to be safe you shouldent go past your amps or watt on 4s but full out combat can still heat it up

Any recommendations for a bigger motor/esc setup still using 3 or 4s battery's, if I choose to go down that path.

Hi Squares
Try out the turnigy 2200KV motor. You will need a 40+amp ESC but you will love the speed and power. Just one word of caution! Check your C rating on your LIPO if its under 40C you could fry the LIPO. I have fallen in love with this motor with a 6x4 prop. It runs hot if you have it going full taps but I have not damaged one yet and the motor is only $10 from HK AU wharehouse. I run a 3S 2200Mah 40C Lipo and get about 20min on it. The larger Lipo helps out with the balance as well. The tail on the BW with our Foamboard in AUS seems to be very heavy so more weight is required to balance but once balanced it handles like a charm and super fast to.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=44906

Good luck

jayz 84

That is a good motor for speed Andre Meyer recommend. Me im a speed lover. But remember if its for combat more power+ with largest prop you can get is allways best for wining ribbon combat. Or you can fiber tape your leading wing edges for two reasons one i do on all my planes, makes them strong and two for easier combat you can apply double sided tape to the leading edges to help ribbon cutting if running small props, and when your done just pull the double side tape off the fiber tape.

bacpck

Too far forward or back?

with that motor, internally I have the battery back as far as it will go and the it still needs more back weight because it is still nose heavy. Maybe I need to double check my CG marks. It was a scratch build plane but I marked the CG during the process with the plans on the board.

I aggree tape on the leading edge is a must. I must say I have no experience in combat flying as I dont know anyone in my area that flys Foamboard planes so I have to play solo thus thrills like speed will need to do it for me. The other exitement I get is eagles chasing my planes and I found out if you manouver to much they loose intrest but you need the speed to get away when they come diving. Thats my combat no contact recommended.

ktmrocks

with that motor, internally I have the battery back as far as it will go and the it still needs more back weight because it is still nose heavy. Maybe I need to double check my CG marks. It was a scratch build plane but I marked the CG during the process with the plans on the board.

Wow, the motor must be pretty heavy compared to the one I'm using. I have the battery 1/2" from the firewall with the ESC and receiver behind the batt. I have been balancing the ship right on the spar just a hair nose-down. It flies great under power and is still quite manageable to land.