Bring on the Tubby Cubby!

Winglet

This is a design Flite Test should have come out with a long time ago. Dead simple. I think it is going to be a huge winner. There is a lot of beauty in a simple 3 channel airplane. Of course the first thing someone will do is screw it up with ailerons. Nice Job Josh!

But anyway, what does everyone think of it? Can't wait to build myself.:)

https://youtu.be/eaMMGr7edfc

Cannot wait! I have a Power Pack B sitting around and I want to use it on something. You are right, Flite Test should have come up with this a a loooooong time ago. Maybe someone will add flaps too!

Ltngstrike

Ever since I saw their YouTube vid I have been excited about the release of the plans for this one. I really like the idea of a smaller high wing trainer. I'll be building one once the plans are released!

basslord1124

Master member
Honestly I kinda wish this was available 5-6 months ago. I'll be helping with our RC clubs fly-in this year (it's actually today and tomorrow) by doing buddy boxing with the kids and this would've been a perfect little plane for them to practice with. I'm just going to use my Hobbyzone Champ and Sport Cub S for now.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Couldn't agree more, this one should be very popular, especially with new builders/pilots. the plans will include the information for adding the optional ailerons (real cubs have those too ;)). If would be pretty easy to make an option to add flaps as well. With the removable wing, it would be easy to switch between the 3-channel and 4 channel versions.

This is a design Flite Test should have come out with a long time ago. Dead simple. I think it is going to be a huge winner. There is a lot of beauty in a simple 3 channel airplane. Of course the first thing someone will do is screw it up with ailerons. Nice Job Josh!

But anyway, what does everyone think of it? Can't wait to build myself.:)

https://youtu.be/eaMMGr7edfc

This looks like a perfect beginner plane for someone new to the hobby start with 3 channel then 4 then flaps. so many ways you could have it.

jklong03

Tubby Cubby!

Tubby Cubby! Tubby Cubby! Tubby Cubby!

Maybe if we start a group chant it will happen sooner! I say screw waiting on Speed Build to be available, please gives us the plans ASAP, PLEASE!

Michael9865

Elite member

Maybe if we start a group chant it will happen sooner! I say screw waiting on Speed Build to be available, please gives us the plans ASAP, PLEASE!

This and the whole thread reminds me a lot of the "Release the Kracken" chants/calls from when Josh was releasing it. LOL

Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! Release The Tubby Cubby! PLEASE Release The Tubby Cubby!! :D :D :D

alan0043

It would be great to have the plans and build a plane or two. I am a newbe. This looks like a great plane to learn on. How soon before we see anything about the Cubby Cubby.

Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, now !

pdkarber

different styles of Tubby Cubby

Josh Bixler suggested different variations of the Tubby Cubby where by changing the tail and wing profile you could model different aircraft. I suggest (drumroll please) the Citabria. This is a clasic and in my humble opinion beautiful aircraft.

Can you leak some of the specs? If I knew the wingspan and wing chord, I could have a couple different wings built before the episode even airs. I want to try an ultra-light Andrus style wing, which would be based only on the P-38 video from April 11, 2016. Better yet have Andrus design a wing for it. With an Andrus wing and the right power setup this could be the slow-flyer I've been looking for.

Okie

Flite Test Aviatrix
this is going to be the most downloaded plane to date this is going to be great I wish the was around when I started flying
I started with a champ and a FT Flyer

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby Tubby Cubby
I wan't to have one, to built light and fly in my front yard.

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
It kinda reminds me of bandit jacks bj-j3 but simplified. I built 3 bj-j3's, each one with improvements it was an awesome airplane. This one should be ok too. :)

DKchris

Sherpa Bush tubby Idea

That could turn into a Sherpa STOL Bush Plane fairly easily:
PirepSherpa1.jpg
PirepSherpa5.jpg
Sherpa_8.jpg
sherpa-proto.jpg

That'ed make for a destinctively different looking plane without major construction changes.

Leave the wingtips square, maybe add ailerons and reduce dihedral a bit. (Sorry guys, I DO get the RET tranquility thing; Big fan of the very similar Blu Baby - even though I "sorta F'ed that one up" in a very similar manner when I built my own version of it : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22138236&postcount=18636 - came out kinda nice though, I think.....)

Then maybe reduce fuse depth a little bit (just move the bottom up a bit, the rest is fine - I assume the fuse is built by folding the foam over along the top of the fuse, and then adding a bottom as usual? Would still keep this a fairly simple change, as the bottom parts probably can be reused nearly unchanged), add some fairly big wheels and a pair of scrap triangles over the gear and the look is pretty much there.

Gear triangles would make the J3 look "pop out" a lot more as well. Simplest mod ever.

Maybe the FT guys could come up with a simple idea/design for adding "fake" wing struts for looks, that aren't a hassle to add or remove, for those rubber band wing mount planes to still fold down for transport.
The skewer solution on the Pietenpol was dead simple and looked like a million bucks, but won't work with a removable wing.
A lot of the other planes in their selection could look real nice with something like that as well.
Ought to be a fairly simple task - Maybe a plot for a Stefan and Alex "Lets go Wile-E supergenius freak inventor on this and then add it to EVERYTHING" Vlog episode?? :D.

Last edited:

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Will the plans come out before there is a speed build kit ? I would like to build the Tubby Cubby with the white foam board. It would be like an old school plane. This plane would be a trainer for me. Low and slow would be great. I think I have enough room to fly at home. Also would like to put on fat tires like the bush planes have.

Any idea when the plans come out ?

Al

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Eager to see this one hit the community too! Not just to have a chance to built it myself, but to see the burst of creativity of modifications and designs people come up with using this as a base. :)

Strangely enough, with all the planes in my hanger I no longer have an active high wing flyer - maybe I need to build a 150% Super Tubby Cubby :p