The community plane challenge

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
This challenge is not meant to be a competition, rathere a challenge of what we can all do together, so here is the description:

Inspired by peter sripol, and (from watching the FT FF recap video, what FF is about), I decided to try and create a project that anyone, even those who make it to FliteFest can participate in. I want to make an airplane that everyone can put their feedback in and hands on cad it up all together, discuss it together, build it together and if it is a success, I will build a huge one for FF next year. Does anyone have any interest in this? Here is the discord server: https://discord.gg/DX8kHGbx

Some discussions can be held here, but I prefer it to be in the discord server

hankflies03

We should make an EZ vee with two of these motors.

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Crazed Scout Pilot

We should build a large iconic FT plane, like the scout or the nut ball or flyer. Because next year is the 10 year anniversary that would be very nice. Also the FT sportster is bixler's favorite we could build a massive sportster. I mean like they did the B-17 something thats 10 -15 Feet. Really like the idea that your trying to put together. Another thing we could do is have a bunch of us build a bunch of monster Iconic FT airplanes with the monster power pack that FT sells and then all fly them together at ff.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
We should build a large iconic FT plane, like the scout or the nut ball or flyer. Because next year is the 10 year anniversary that would be very nice. Also the FT sportster is bixler's favorite we could build a massive sportster. I mean like they did the B-17 something thats 10 -15 Feet. Really like the idea that your trying to put together. Another thing we could do is have a bunch of us build a bunch of monster Iconic FT airplanes with the monster power pack that FT sells and then all fly them together at ff.
good idea, could you join the discord and put that there? it is just easier to keep all the discussions in one place

Crazed Scout Pilot

I'd love to join the discord but i don't know what or were that is? Is it on the forum ? if so could you send me a link? Thank you. If you are interested in building one of those monster FT planes i will do the scaling work with the plans as my contribution to the project.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'd love to join the discord but i don't know what or were that is? Is it on the forum ? if so could you send me a link? Thank you. If you are interested in building one of those monster FT planes i will do the scaling work with the plans as my contribution to the project.
The point of the project is to design a custom plane, currently it has been decided that tit will be based on the luftwaffle meme. the discord server is linked in the first post.

Mr.Grinch

The discord seems to be a bit of a ghost town. Not much gets posted there, unless I’m missing something. I see a lot more activity here.

Mr.Grinch

I’ve been looking for a reason to get a monster motor, this might be a good enough reason.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The discord seems to be a bit of a ghost town. Not much gets posted there, unless I’m missing something. I see a lot more activity here.
The activity calmed down in the last day, but it hsould speed up once designing gets started, its mostly in the design channel but you have to knwo cad to join the design team as I have stated multiple times

Mr.Grinch

I have a pair of monster motors on order, now I just have to figure out what I’m actually going to do with them.
I usually am volunteering every day and end up with little time to build and fly, but I’d love to do something special for the 10 year anniversary.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I'll tell you what I wanted to do for the 10th anniversary, because I don't think that i will be able to travel out to ff. What I wanted to do is build a monster airplane with a big 10 on it. If this sounds interesting at all I can draw up some 3 views for you to see.

Mr.Grinch

I’d be interested to see what you have in mind.
I was thinking about upscaling one of the old designs like the sportster, i think that was one of Josh‘s favorites. I’d have to prep as much as possible before, I always run out of time if I start the project at FF.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I’d be interested to see what you have in mind.
I was thinking about upscaling one of the old designs like the sportster, i think that was one of Josh‘s favorites. I’d have to prep as much as possible before, I always run out of time if I start the project at FF.
That is really amazing!! That is exactly what I thought would be good for the 10th anniversary. A nice monster Sportster. And even better it is Josh's favorite. I could help with scaling up the Swappable plans. I will also start working on sketching up my other idea. Really think it will be cool.

Mr.Grinch

I went looking back and they already have the monster sized cruiser plans from 9 years ago, but they should work fine. He used 2820 motors, but the monsters "should" work without being TOO overkill. 5000-6S would be ok I hope.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I went looking back and they already have the monster sized cruiser plans from 9 years ago, but they should work fine. He used 2820 motors, but the monsters "should" work without being TOO overkill. 5000-6S would be ok I hope.
Cruiser it is then!!! Going to be great. If I can help with anything paint schemes, cockpit detail, etc. Let me know I would love to be apart of it. Those plans don't come tiled do you have the ability to tile them? If not I have adobe acrobat and I can do it and then mail them to you.

Mr.Grinch

I have a few local printing companies one of which I’ve already talked to about printing out a number of full sized FT plans as well as a bunch of old balsa kits. I would love to eventually turn some of them into foam builds.