Bro!! that first fixed bro...

Dodger

So I started my RC addiction with an fpv 250 quad and now i want to also add a fixed wing to my collection. The plan currently is a FT Versa Wing w/ blunt nose mod and power pack C in a pusher configuration.

I have a Turnigy 9XR Pro w/ FrSky DJT module and a few Zippy Xtra Thin 3S 2200mah

That's it that can cross over. So i need a receiver as well. ANYWAY I'm posting this up because since i started with a quad i of course had a flight controller and the more i look through fixed wings the more i'm realizing i likely don't need a flight controller. I'm taking a swing into the relatively lit dark that i just connect the servos to the receiver and control inversion, rates, etc from the model mixes in my radio.

But can a simple flight controller significantly impact my flight experience enough to consider getting one for my first build? Any tips on modifications to the build to make modifying and swapping components easier?

I'm also considering in the future adding some poplar booms with an inverted V tail to set up a configuration inspired by the RMRC Anaconda, which I've been quite obsessed with since seeing FT's episode on it. The idea is to make a stable "long range" platform for scouting ahead on 4x4 trails. Also thinking the job will be best suited for the Y6 i want to build but i can't resist a fixed wing for the price and potential flight time of the Versa Speed build.

HawkMan

few things to remember, As I understand it, using a flight controller or AP on a fixed wing, means a lot more tweaking to makie it work right than on a multirotor as it needs to adjust for servo speeds and such. I haven't used one so this is just based on what I read and I'm not sure if this is just the difference between a working on a and a really well working one, or if it's essential for good operation.

as for using a fixed wing for scouting, remember most long range camera bird have a very long glide slope, this translates to, they need a lot of space to land You might be better off with a STOL bushcraft type plane. Like a Cub, most of them can carry a good load and with flaps than can come in real slow and land in very small space. be warned though, do a lot of practice landing them without flaps first, then practice lying with flaps then practice landing with flaps. and expect a few crashes where it flips on landing as they can be quite unstable at low speeds with flaps on and suddenly decide to flip sideways on you and faceplant.

What I wonder if you plant to use them for "scouting" though, will you be able to have LOS to the plane? this is important for several reasons, firstly having a spotter that knows where it is, secondly, if you don't have LOS there's a good chance you're probably soon going to lose video as well.

Dodger

well currently the idea for landing is attaching a retractable high visibility loop as a capture device on one of the vehicles and having a hook on the aircraft since some off road trails in the mountains i visit leave little room for real landing, but this is way later after i play around for a while with different builds and materials. For those types of trails i'll likely stick with a multirotor. I likely won't be able to have line of sight at all times so I am considering a lower frequency for my video, some decent antennas, and a GPS tracker because i'm definitely going to lose it a few times. I know none of that is a solid safety net but a little here and there helps.

Really the whole idea is convoluted but i just have this idea stuck in my head that you can use RC aircraft to some how assist in off roading and i really want to explore it. I'm also a little hard headed and reckless which means i'll hopefully be posting some interesting video sometime in the future once i get something worth recording with.

In the end they'll likely be used as AV platforms to get some awesome video of my buddies and I snow boarding and our 4 wheeling experiences, but there's just a bunch of ideas i want to try. Like using my vehicle as a mobile ground station etc.

ANYWAY!!! So an FC can acutally make the whole process more complicated than it's worth unless i'm obsessing over something like RTB features and such?

I should consider other platforms like a bushcraft due to their ability for short landings coupled with good pay load capacity.

and lastly be aware of the fact that if i'm in a situation where i don't have LOS i'm likely also in a situation where i have terrain or obstacles that can block video signals.

Until then i'll just play with my Versa Wing as a nice intro to fixed wing FPV flight and for funsies...like annoying the senior enlisted and officers on post and likely getting myself into a good bit of trouble. I'm sure there's some regulation about RC aircraft on a military post that i've been ignoring.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Fly it on the parade field! During a ceremony! hehehehe, just kidding, don't do that.

Where you fly will make the difference as to how much, if any, trouble you get into. Ft. Stewart, pretty active, I guess. I have not been there. Stay out of the air corridors. Range control should have a map outlining where they are. A good place to fly would be any open space in that buffer between the cantonment area and the ranges.

Maybe look for an RC Club or field off post.

Start a club on post and work with command to establish an RC area.

I think the versa wing is a great fixed wing starter FPV platform. Good luck with it all. Be sure to let us know how it works out and post videos.

Dodger

I'm thinking a change of command ceremony should be a good time crash. Just a little "hello! welcome to Ft Stewart. I'm just going to grab this and go if you don't mind. K THANKS!" I'm PCSing to Ft Leonard Wood, MO in a couple of months so whatever.

I'm rather lucky there's a large field in the cantonment the national guard uses for training once a year. It's a bit more the .5mi x .3mi and as long as i stay to the east side of the field I avoid the helipad medivac uses and black hawk engines tend to announce themselves when they're inbound so rather easy to avoid. Other than that the entire area is pines and swamp. Not really much else to play around on here.

Really looking forward to my Versa Wing though. Going to have to fly some LOS though until I decide on my FPV system. I want to use 900mHz for the range but i don't know much about it's other characteristics or if i need a HAM license like 433mHz. Frequencies is like something i should educate myself on.

HawkMan

and lastly be aware of the fact that if i'm in a situation where i don't have LOS i'm likely also in a situation where i have terrain or obstacles that can block video signals.

Actually, it might block the control signals as well, so you'd probably need UHF.

Also for an arresting hook system you'll want a fairly small light weight low mass STOL plane that can come in real slow. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of mass suddenly not being where it wants to be. especially on the larger video craft. for example my 2 meter volantex crafts have a solid blow molded ABS body that can take it, but you'd probably dislocate everything inside and rip off the wings. The anaconda looks awesome and would fly great, but it's made even less to handle such stress and would rip itself to pieces.

So for an arresting system step 1 is to be able to go real slow without stalling, step to is either an extremely solid airframe including the wing or a light weight low mass airframe.

Best option would be a VTOL probably, but you' need a lot of skills for those :)

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
When you get to Ft. Leonard Wood, fly on the parade field. There used to be a guy flying an older gasser pattern plane. If not there, you will find plenty of open places around off post to play.

Put a 5.8ghz system on a versa and fly. From there you will figure it all out. My 200mw 5.8ghz gave me more range than I was comfortable covering. So, in my opinion, that is a great place to start.

Dodger

It's funny you mention VTOL HawkMan since i recently finished watch the FT video on Peter's Chimera build lol. And i'm quite tempted to give it a shot.

I'll find that parade field ASAP in December Teaj, which will likely be absolutely freezing. Now i've heard 5.8 doesn't handle obstacles too well, or is this more based on the antenna platform and/or both?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
5.8 does not seem to have much penetration for obstacles. You won't find may obstacles on the parade field.

Start with the 5.8 to get it all worked out and to get a good feel for the FPV. You won't want to fly long distances at first anyhow. Then, as you want to increase range in conjunction with comfort and skill level, change the video tx and rx.

Just a suggestion. My 5.8 200mw is plenty for the flying I am capable of for now. The range already lets me get further away than I care to walk when I have to go find my downed bird.