Build-ruary: FTFC21by GliderFlyer (Build skill 4 pilot skill 3)

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Here goes nothing

FT delta
My own design foamboard Dakota
FT baby blender V2
FT commuter

Additional:
Mini scout

FT delta:
I chose this airplane because I wanted an edf that was super simple, but not too fast.
Plans:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/DeltaPlans_tiled.pdf
EDF pod plans:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/grunjet-50mm-edf-jet.173/
Picture:
IMG_20210223_180042[1].jpg
Build log:
Build: simple
Flight: Risky
Time: 1 hour
Step 1: cut out the parts from the plans.
Step 2: assemble the power pod for the edf.
Step 3. Assemble the wing.
Step 4: Lengthen the original power pod from the Delta plans so that it is a bit longer than the plane is.
Before gluing, cut the front end of the power pod so that it slopes up towards the fuselage, making it look sort of like a boat hull. make sure that you still have the paper for the A fold on the sides of the trimmed pod front. Then glue it together.
Step 5: glue a square piece of foamboard at the rear of the original power pod (now a battery compartment) to close off the end.
Step 6: Attach edf power pod to wing using the mount from the grunjet plans. Make sure that you put the edf right over the CG so that you don't end up nose heave or tail heavy. You should have this so far:
IMG_20210223_171551[1].jpg
Step 7: Attach servos to the control surfaces at the rear of the wing. It is easiest this way, and does not take a lot of wire. I had to trim sections of the battery compartment out because the servos were mounted halfway inside.
Step 8: glue in the vertical stabilizers, using the guide in the plans.
IMG_20210223_172355[1].jpg
( I did not use the guide, which is why they are not symmetrical and go straight up.)
Step 8: set up your radio so the controls work for elevons, plug in the esc and servos. The esc goes inside the battery compartment. The battery compartment I held on to the airframe with tape.

Color scheme:
IMG_20210225_085853[1].jpg

Maiden video:
Reflective statement-
Do: keep the weight down. It took full throttle to keep it cruising on the maiden video.
Don't: Rush it, like I did. That may be the difference between an airplane that flies once, and an airplane that flies for a year. (mine only flew once)

Dakota:
Plans:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/dakota-biplane.206/
I chose this plane because I thought it would is a classic free flight airplane that would fly well converted to RC. I also needed practice in inkscape, and this seemed easy.
Picture:
IMG_20210209_113732[1].jpg

Build log:
Build time: 2 hours
Complexity: 2/5
Flying: 4/5 (adverse yaw)

Step 1:
Cut out the parts.
Note: while cutting, leave in the lower wing cut-outs for rigidity. They will be removed later.
IMG_20210209_101739[1].jpg

Step two:
Make creases, cavities, and bevel cuts where they are required.( I think you all can infer this if you have build foam board airplanes in the past)

Step three:
The wing. Use the camber gauge the same as intended for the mini scout wing
Use the dihedral gauge just as you would still build the mini scout,
And tape the joint
IMG_20210209_103001[1].jpg

Step four:
The fuselage
First, glue in the doublers. Make sure it is aligned like this:
IMG_20210209_103702[1].jpg
Don't forget the other side, too.
I next recommend putting in your centered servos now. Pick a spot above the wing and glue them staggered. (unlike this photo)
IMG_20210209_104200[1].jpg
Based on servo location, cut the pushrod exit holes.
Note: the rudder pushrod goes above the elevator.
You also can reduce friction by inserting the pushrod straight into the cut and sliding it back and forth a few times to widen the cut.
Now you can glue up the sides.
Regular B fold but only the front section for now.
Now do the rear section.
IMG_20210209_104911[1].jpg
After the bottom is glued, we start the top. Starting with a B fold on the front turtle deck (if that's what it's called)
Now simply glue the windshield
IMG_20210209_104757[1].jpg
We will put in the poster board windshield later, but right now, we glue on the top rear part, using the table as our friend.
It's time to put in the windshield already!
glue in the formers for the windshield
Then glue or tape(your choice(but tape is easier)) the posterboard around the formers and to the sides of the fuselage

Step five:
the tail surfaces
To be honest, I eyeballed it on this one. Make sure your elevator can move in the little fuselage cutout thingy though!
I also used the TLAR method on the vertical stabilizer too.
IMG_20210209_110100[1].jpg
Now's the time to hook up the pushrods to control surfaces because we're gluing the wing on top next.

Step six:
assembly
First, put in the bottom wing. I didn't use glue for this.
Next, I glued in the struts, Make sure you don't get these upside-down. The end with the longer base should go on the bottom wing.
IMG_20210209_110734[1].jpg
Finally, glue the top wing to the fuselage, and the struts. You can do this in two steps if you want.
IMG_20210209_113953[1].jpg
Now unless I'm forgetting something, You're done!
Correct CG can be found by balancing the plane upside-down on the leading edge of the bottom wing.

No color scheme

Maiden video:
Post-project reflective statement:
It could probably use more right thrust. Ailerons might help a little, but I should do with just rudder. Although it builds similar to the mini scout, it does not fly like it. This plane is not a trainer.

FT baby blender
plans:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FTBabyBlenderv2.1Tiled.pdf
I chose this plane because I wanted an airplane that could carry my camera and get aerial footage.
Picture:
IMG_20210204_201608[1].jpg

Build complexity: 3/5
Time: 3 hours
flying level: 2/5

Build log:

Step 1:
Cut out all the parts

Step 2:
Remove cavities, bevel, 50% cut, and crease where marked on the plans.

Step 3:
start the wings by gluing the spar together, and dry fitting it in the slot in the wing. Fold over the wing to shape it.
Step 4:
bevel the trailing edge of the top wing surface to sit flush against the bottom wing surface.
Step 5:
Fold over both wings with glue. You can do it in multiple steps, with the spar first, then the trailing edge.
Step 6:
Attach the poster board wingtips on all four tips.
Step 7:
Paint the wings if you wish at this step, because it is easiest here. After that,

5pts Picture of the plane with Plans link and/or Forum link (for other community members to find them) and your reason for choosing this plane.
  1. 8pts Build-log: A brief explanation of your build process, and note difficulties, changes and tips along the way. Be sure include your build pics and a estimated build time. Include your take on how the build went (1 Simple -5 Complex) and how it flew (1-easy to 5-Hard). [2 pts basic, 4 pts helpful, 6pts detailed and helpful, 8pts article ready.]
  2. 3pts Color Scheme - A decorated plane is more fun.
  3. 5pts Maiden Video *Due before March 8th*
  4. 2 pts Post-project reflective statement. (Summary of Do's, Don't and tips)

Last edited:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Plot twist!
My delta will be powered by a 50mm edf unit.
However, I do not know if it will provide enough power, so I was wondering if anyone knows what size (wingspan) fits a 50mm edf delta.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
IMG_20210201_081455.jpg
Starting to build the mini blender. I taped together the plans and spray-adhered them to foamboard. This one takes up three sheets. I hope to be able to cut out the parts before school starts. As you can see, my floor is already covered in foamboard and balsa bits and I haven't even started the build.:rolleyes:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
School hasn't started for you yet? lucky.
Let's see you make a smoothie with a baby blender strapped on that baby blender. :):LOL:
I mean at 9:05 am, I'm not still on break:LOL:

I choose this plane to build first so that it can carry my camera and get good footage of the other airplanes I will build

GrizWiz

Elite member
View attachment 191081 Starting to build the mini blender. I taped together the plans and spray-adhered them to foamboard. This one takes up three sheets. I hope to be able to cut out the parts before school starts. As you can see, my floor is already covered in foamboard and balsa bits and I haven't even started the build.:rolleyes:
LOL, there is a reason I chose two EZ plane designs to do!

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I was building the wings last night, and I noticed that my hot glue gun was getting hard to squeeze, even though it was plenty hot. Then I saw this
IMG_20210201_210834.jpg
What a perfect time to have your hot glue gun go out on you. I was able to remove the glue that was causing problems, and I hope that doesn't show up again. Anyways, here are the wings. They aren't glued together yet, just test fitted.
IMG_20210201_213316.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I was building the wings last night, and I noticed that my hot glue gun was getting hard to squeeze, even though it was plenty hot. Then I saw this
View attachment 191182
What a perfect time to have your hot glue gun go out on you. I was able to remove the glue that was causing problems, and I hope that doesn't show up again. Anyways, here are the wings. They aren't glued together yet, just test fitted.
View attachment 191183
that is not so bad... mine went BANG!!! today... turns out the live and neutral wires shorted it out... a hot spoke in the wheel for the buildruary....
looks like i am going to be doing my glueing while.. my dad is at home or when he doesn't need his:cry::cry:

GliderFlyer

Elite member
IMG_20210202_102909.jpg
I started the fuse and finished cutting out the poster board pieces. The pushrods I am using are from my crashed mini apprentice, so I don't want to cut them because they are just the right size for the simple cub and simple soarer.
IMG_20210202_102924.jpg
Here is where they come out, which means that I will need to cut out places for the servos in the former.

Pieliker96

Elite member
that is not so bad... mine went BANG!!! today... turns out the live and neutral wires shorted it out... a hot spoke in the wheel for the buildruary....
looks like i am going to be doing my glueing while.. my dad is at home or when he doesn't need his:cry::cry:
This must be a common failure mode for that specific glue gun. The glue leaked from the heating block down into the handle and ended up shorting out the mains. Singed a bit of the hair off my arm and made a little smoked area on the carpet.