Build Thread: Event 3D (with LED´s) REBUILD

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey guys,

Yesterday I received a order including 2 cans of spraycolors for foam!

The colors are a dark blue and a very bright yellow.

Does anyone have good ideas for a 3 color design on the Event? (blue, yellow and of course the white of the depron itself)

I searched a bit and didn´t find anything particulary nice. Maybe we can come up with something together and create our own design.

Did anyone see a nice 2/3 color desing?
Do you have any tips for using those spraycans/bottles (or however you wanna call them)?

I have never ever used them before and I don´t want to mess it up!

Also I got a new prop for the Event which makes it finally go vertical !

Practice practice practice on something else. Distance to surface and speed controls the thickness and opacity of the line. Paint yellow first, then blue. Use cutout patterns as stencils. Don't expect too much from the spray paint.

You could paint the top of the wings yellow, the top of the ailerons blue, the bottom of the wings blue, the bottom of the ailerons yellow. Fuselage from the centerline up, blue, and from the centerline down, yellow. Stabilizer top yellow, elevator top blue. stabilizer bottom blue, elevator bottom yellow.

Remember the blue paint may darken the leds if you paint too much.

What do you think?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Thanks colorex! I have not completely messed it up but the worst thing I did is that I put on blue first and then yellow. I will have to wait wait for a while or so for the first yellow paint to dry and try another one above it so the blue won´t shine through.

What I did so far is not much. only did the two top surfaces of the wing.
Imagina lines that go always from the point where the front of the wing touches the fuselage. From there it goes first a line of white depron (not painted at all for the LED´s to shine throught!)
Then a line of blue going to the edge of the wing and then a line of yellow and then back to depron.

I covered everything up with some old magazines so that I don´t spray anything else.

I took off all the magazines and it looks reasonably good for the first time.

But I will have to add some yellow just make it look even better.

And you´re so goddamn right with the practicing!!

I think I can still rescue it or make it look better by leaving it to dry for today and tomorrow I can repaint only the yellow part.

As my blue is very dark I thought I´ll use it for my canopy as well as for the "cockpit" which I didn´t even mark on the pictures of this thread.
Then on the bottom if the wing just 4 darkblue lines to have contrast (should be easy to do in comparison to the wing)
And then on the elevator the same thing as on the wing it self but in reversed order(or maybe just normal)
Then on the fuselage sides I thought I´d just make cutouts and write the name EVENT 3D on it in either blue or yellow. (what would be awesome is have it in yellow and then a bit smaller in blue above it, but I think I won´t be able to :( )
Thanks for your inspiration though.
Anyway, do you think that overpainting the yellow part will work?

ananas1301

Okay thanks Colorex. I will try. It actually isn´t that thick but it is an intense colour so I might only need two or three more goes at it.

But thanks anyway. Will keep that in mind for the rest of the plane.

ananas1301

Thanks elemental!

I had the first flight with this one as well today (had the FF of the Hacker Skyfighter as well :) )

Well, it kinda was too windy so say if it flies nice and I didn´t fly very long either, because it just wasn´t fun and I didn´t want to risk crashing it, due to the wind. In comparison to the Skyfighter it doesn´t handle wind so well I think, but I´ll tell you more, as soon as I got a completely no-wind flight done!

Unfortunately my little brother was too lazy to get the camera out, so there isn´t any maiden video. (hate my brother for that!)

ananas1301

Hey guys,

today was a reaaaally calm day outside so my mum brought us the field again and I am really impressed with how the plane flies!
Today there was nearly no wind at all and the plane fliest just like the first one and also as if it is on rails!

I am really impressed with it because even due to the extra weight of the paint and the lightsystem (which I haven´t tried out yet, need a 3cell Lipo for that) and a slightly bigger prop, I can´t feel any difference in comparison to the first one.
But that might be because this time I knew how the plane is like and didn´t use that much epoxy as with the first one.

It is a VERY good trainer for people wanting to get into 3D. Stuff like hovering and knife edge and all that, is significantly easier with it.

I will try to talk to the owner of that plan and if I find the time and many people show their intereset into this plan by commenting and saying: "yes I want the plan!" I will translate the plan into english as good as I can and upload it here and on his webpage.

But if not I won´t, because there won´t be any point in putting all the effort into that.
It is nearly 10 pages of pure written texts!

ananas1301

Upgrades :d

Hey guys,

So I already talked to colorex about the painting earlier in this thread and just wanted to give you guys a nice picture of what I actually did! I don´t think it is too bad for a start. On the right wing of the plane a fly wanted to sit down on the wet paint. I had to get it out there so I just had to it with my finger because I didn´t have anything better to take it away from the paint. That is the story of my yellow point there.
Otherwise the left wing was kinda gone bad due to my failure :D That is also still the same look. Didn´t start overpainting it yet

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8409.JPG

As I said I wanted to get a bit more power out of the Event so I went an installed the bigger prop.
Unfortunately the battery could only hold this for a few seconds and then a hover wasn´t possible any more.

So what I did is I got some parts from HK:

IMG_8424.JPG

Motor from HK:

IMG_8428.JPG

ESC & Motor:

IMG_8448.JPG

I tried it out in my room and with the bigger prop the Event went up vertically unlimited, finally! I felt the motor getting slightly warm so I thought I´d start with it slowly and do the first flight with my smaller prop. Shouldn´t have any problems there but I don´t know if that combo goes vertical.
A few specs about the motor are that it is 6g heavier then the first one. Also the ESC had to be changed. I quickly got a 20 A one which also gives the plane a bit of weight.
I hope that I didn´t make it too heavy.

ananas1301

Nice to hear it flies well! It looks like you are a really good painter!

Thanks for that! I was pretty pleased with the paint for it being the first time I ever did it but I still want to improve it. I am kinda lazy atm because I wanna see it fly with the new motor combo. (haven´t flown it yet with the new stuff, too windy and school started again as well back here)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Do you have a gym at school? Are you allowed to bring fun, educative stuff to school? If you're good at flying 3D you can get some looks upon you! Don't forget to mention FliteTest!

ananas1301

Do you have a gym at school? Are you allowed to bring fun, educative stuff to school? If you're good at flying 3D you can get some looks upon you! Don't forget to mention FliteTest!

Yeah I do but I don´t really think that I can just bring it with me and fly it.
I cant take the wings off so I will be a really bulky thing to carry around with me.
But I am getting a little attention for it by mentioning this hobby kinda nearby when I say something. Or when someones asks me how your holiday was.

My little brother took his Easystar to shool as they were examining the doppler effect in physics. Some guys were laughing at him and finding it redicolous (i think I spelled something wrong again :D) so I don´t really want that.

ananas1301

I just look if there will be any chance to get something to school with me but related to a subject we would be doing at the moment.

wadsie

to fix up the pain get a ruler and a black texter and trace around it it will bring the colours out more and it will clean it up and make it look much nicer. make sure the texter wont eat through the plane though so be carefull. if you carnt find out if it will eat through or not try it on a scrap of foam.

ananas1301

to fix up the pain get a ruler and a black texter and trace around it it will bring the colours out more and it will clean it up and make it look much nicer. make sure the texter wont eat through the plane though so be carefull. if you carnt find out if it will eat through or not try it on a scrap of foam.

Nice Tip!!!
I still haven´t tried to overpaint it at all, so that might be the first step for me to do next, before the black texter comes around it...
Also I have quite a bit of power "resources" unused and because the plane doesn´t go vertical, I have mounted a 9x4,3 Prop ( I think) so that should give me the thrust I want to be able to hover forever :D

One thing I can definitely say is that you can feel the battery voltage dropping the longer you try to keep the plane in a hover, (with the smaller prop 8x4,3) So I might be pulling more then the batteries want me to...

Fatfish

Anas, really nice scratchbuild. Where you got the depron from? I kinda collect big Styropor packages and hot wire them into slices... a pack of 3mm depron would be a nice backbone.

UndCon

UndCon
Fatfish - You live in Germany - I order boxes of Depron (3 & 6mm) from:

www.causemann.de

About 495km drive one way :D

Anyway - very fast shipping to my house...

//UndCon

Last edited:

ananas1301

I know it is not cheap but it is a excellent material to work with as you can very nicely get round shapes with it with the correct blade. EPP is more flexible but always has those big "corns" which I don´t particulary like.

Anyway here another link:

www.epp-versand.de

That shop sells EPP as well as depron in different sizes.