Building a FT Viggen from scratch. New builder

changen

First Time building from scratch.
I have already ordered the Grayson kit that David recommended:
http://http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/ftviggen70mmedfpowerpackage-p-2610.html
This is my transmitter and receiver I am about to order:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html
I am more than happy to take suggestions, if anyone has a cheaper alternative that is beginner pilot friendly and still can do elevon mixing.
I am looking over the parts lists and I want to make sure that I can simply put the parts together in a couple of hours and not wait for parts that I forget to order that isnt included in the kit; (battery?) extensions, connectors, push rods, shrink tubing, etc. I am still a new pilot , and I have difficulty figuring out the small stuff that I need to buy.
A list or links of materials I have missed or overlooked directing to hobbyking would be greatly appreciated. I really want to keep the shipping cost low.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I don't think it'll make a very rewarding trainer but since you ordered the EDF kit you may as well just go with it. You can always build another. I would just make this first one very minimalistic (dont put a ton of work into it and get emotionally invested) and just don't get discouraged when you kill it.

Really tho, having an EDF can save on prop-strikes so maybe it won't be too bad to learn on.

evan

I'm just getting into this as well and I'll just share some of the things I've learned while I'm trying to get all these things together.

First, even when you get these "combo kits" with motors, props, ESC, and batteries all picked for each other, it doesn't at all guarantee that it'll just plug and play. For example, I just got a Lazertoyz kit for the simple series, and the battery uses a Deans connector and the ESC accepts a JST, so they're just straight up incompatible. I was already planning on switching everything to XT60 anyway (I'd already picked up these from Amazon, the HobbyKing ones are here, and they have a million different adaptors as well) so I wasn't really annoyed, but I'd be annoyed if I had stuff built and ready to fly except that the connectors don't work. Just from looking at the picture in the Grayson kit for you, it looks like the battery has a Deans connector, but the ESC doesn't have anything, and the only connectors they have in the kit are the bullets for the motors, so that might be an issue.

As far as the Turnigy 9X, you could have some issues there. When I powered mine up (with 8 AAs), one of the buttons just didn't work at all. I'm returning it for a replacement because I'm excited about some of the mods, but just taking a peek inside, the quality of the electronics isn't fantastic and the odds of getting a lemon are probably higher than some other, much more expensive transmitters. Also I hope you were planning on using AAs, because using a LiFe or LiPo will require another connector mod, you can't just plug a 2S balance connector into the Turnigy, bad things happen. Finally, I don't know much about programming transmitters, but the stock firmware really seems pretty confusing, and the documentation is practically incomprehensible. Hopefully there are some good YouTube tutorials that'll get you right to elevon mixing. I plan on putting in a SmartieParts board and upgrading to er9x or OpenTX which are said to both be vastly more powerful and easy to use.

Are you using the speedbuild kit or doing it completely from scratch? If the latter, obviously you need all the control horns, push rods, and mechanical items you see in the build video. The shrink tubing is important if you're going to be soldering connectors, which you might have to, as I mentioned above. Also I assume you have a good charger already? If not, this one has good community support. It needs a power supply, and this one works, or you can look on YouTube for about a million different ways to power it with old laptop or computer power supplies.

Basically, I would count on at least something needing to be figured out and hold, especially if this is actually your very first plane. I've been at this for weeks and only now are things just coming together. Hope it works out great!