Building the FT Mosquito Master Series 50“

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Haven't heard that song in decades. You must be old like me. The song is a nice touch but don't believe it. It isn't 40 below. About 56F at the moment.
Technically more like the MTV generation, but I've never watched music on the TV so I obviously grew up in a bit of a Wyoming time warp lol

40 below was last week! ;)

Opus

Looks great. Do you want to share some details on what you are using for the head tracking?
Yes. Also some bad news and good news. The bad news: The Mosquito motors are screwed to wood firewalls which are glued to a foam bulkhead in the nacelle. The glue is actually attached to the PAPER on the foam board. My last flight the motor pulled the paper off.
The good news is that with full rudder the other motor was sufficient to maintain altitude for a return and landing. Hit the wrong switch at the last minute and didn't get the wheels down though.
The head tracker I got from: https://mhpro.net/online/en/zita-v2-3-axis-wireless-gyroscope-p74/

Attachments

• EngFail2.JPG
    EngFail2.JPG
    573.9 KB · Views: 0

Burnhard

Received the spray paint for the Mozzi this weekend. Paint will be PRU blue with the red and white tail and yellow spinners. Invasion stripes will only be applied to the back.

I am considering printing the stripes on paper and simply glueing the paper to the fuselage. That’s certainly much easier than painting the stripes. Other option would be doing the stripes in vinyl.

Burnhard

Basic paint is done. Will do the invasion stripes on the tail fuselage today. My original plan with printing these on paper an gluing them on the fuselage does not seem to work as there is a seam in the middle of that area. Will try whether I can split the paper. Last option would be spray painting it (which ist just a lot of effort in masking everything).

Burnhard

Ok, printing the stripes on paper did not work at all. Only when I held the paper against the fuselage I recognized that this idea could only have worked with a cylindric fuselage. However, the tail of the Mossi is more like a cone which would require the stripes to be curved. Long story short, I ditched the idea with the paper (and also using vinyl), started masking the tail and have sprayed the first white layer instead.

Last edited:

Opus

Ok, printing the stripes on paper did not work at all. Only when I held the paper against the fuselage I recognized that this idea could only have worked with a cylindric fuselage. However, the tail of the Mossi is more like a cone which would require the stripes to be curved. Long story short, I ditched the idea with the paper (and also using vinyl), started masking the tail and have sprayed the first white layer instead.
Tapered fuselages are a challenge to wrap a stripe around.
Note: Further investigation into my engine failure revealed a dead ESC. Not sure if it got damaged when the motor broke loose. It got real hot and the new motor chattered when I tried to use it.
All you Mossie builders: peel the paper off of all the bulkheads, firewalls and anything connected to the motor mounts BEFORE you glue them together. The paper on the foam is NOT a secure place to glue to.

Burnhard

Tapered fuselages are a challenge to wrap a stripe around.
Note: Further investigation into my engine failure revealed a dead ESC. Not sure if it got damaged when the motor broke loose. It got real hot and the new motor chattered when I tried to use it.
All you Mossie builders: peel the paper off of all the bulkheads, firewalls and anything connected to the motor mounts BEFORE you glue them together. The paper on the foam is NOT a secure place to glue to.
I have built a number of FT kits (both SBK and from plans) and so far never had the issue of a firewall coming loose from the foam. On the recent FT builds I always used a combination of white glue and hot glue for glueing the wooden formers to the foam. You must have had massive vibrations for the motor come loose in the way shown in the pictures. That’s even more fascinating when the value bundle has the firewall pushing against the cone of the nacelle and which should be secured by a further seam of hotglue within the cone.

You got me hooked on the FPV options. I am fairly new into FPV and am trying a few things out. Your videos looked awesome and I am considering doing a second nose with the tip of that nose either open or covered by a transparent plastic tip (just like in the bomber version of the Mossi).

Opus

You must have had massive vibrations for the motor come loose in the way shown in the pictures. That’s even more fascinating when the value bundle has the firewall pushing against the cone of the nacelle and which should be secured by a further seam of hot glue within the cone.

No vibes. I had been in the air for about five minutes before the engine came loose. Firewall and everything came right out of the nacelle.

You got me hooked on the FPV options. I am fairly new into FPV and am trying a few things out. Your videos looked awesome and I am considering doing a second nose with the tip of that nose either open or covered by a transparent plastic tip (just like in the bomber version of the Mossi).

That will work but it also puts the camera in danger if you hit something. I thought that the view from the cockpit was just fine. The difficult part of FPV on a twin is vibration causes "jello" in the video so you need perfectly balanced props and some rubber in the camera mount.

bearit

check your motor connections to the esc 1 might be bad. I had 1 do the same chatter and it was a bad connection....

Opus

check your motor connections to the esc 1 might be bad. I had 1 do the same chatter and it was a bad connection....
I examined the ESC and then connected to a motor I know is good and it chattered like a motor with a wire off. Whatever is wrong is internal because the ESC got too hot to touch in about 30 seconds.

Burnhard

Very nice! Looks like functional flaps. Looking forward to video of your first flight.
Maiden will be in about two weeks. Flaps are indeed functional. I started with small 5g servos for the flaps but these burnt out during testing. I now have 12g metal gear versions installed. First time I used the flaps I got a low voltage warning on the radio. When I checked I noticed the the receiver voltage drops by 0.2 each time I move the flaps :)

Burnhard

TWO WEEKS! That's a long wait. Slow battery charger?
I only make it to the field on weekends. Visit to my mother in law next week and then lets hope for good whether thereafter. Did the taxi testing on a 4s today. This one has power. Will set the maiden timer for four minutes on a 4s 3450 battery.

Opus

This one has power. Will set the maiden timer for four minutes on a 4s 3450 battery.
For comparison, I fly mine on a 3 cell 2250 and it runs for 7 minutes before I get the low battery warning. It feels a bit slow so I may go to 9X6 props for some speed.

Burnhard

Did the maiden yesterday. Worked perfectly. Close to no trim necessary. Battery set-up was good. Ample of power. Pulled a few large loops on the second run. Flaps work as well launched with about 25% flaps and landed on about 50%. No noseover on the landing. Battery capacity at 51% after four minutes. Did most of the flying at about 40-50% throttle.

How can I upload a video here?
5CAE153E-9DC6-4DA0-8B68-757F98B822F7.jpeg