Built up J-3 cub build

Mac82

Foam scraps? I got plenty
Alright back on track
A little work done is better than no work done

A little more detail finished on the wing mount

And here I have the cowell temporarily fitted to the nose

The question is. Should I make the dummy engines? If y'all think I should, what would be the best way to make them?

Mac82

I finally got my landing gear built.
I used two heavy duty wire hangers.
First I cut them to size then bent them to shape(sorry no pic for that)
The next step was to wrap the ends to gather using 22 awg solid core copper wire (stripped of its silicon insulation)

Then using a hand held propane torch(my soldiering iron wasn't hot enough) I basically welded them to gather with the rozin core silver solder

The pic doesn't show but it's actually very well covered and very a strong bond.
Next to finish the electronics add the tail wheel then cover.
This build is almost done I'll hopefully have a maiden flight soon

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I've found that with these joints the resin in the core is just not enough to get the solder to flow uniformly. I use lots of flux for these joints. While the copper wrapping helps a lot, The solder will look much nicer for a cleaner finish with gobs of flux. Cleanup is a snap with ketchup and an old toothbrush. The acid in the ketchup is what cleans it up. Heard that cola (pepsi or coke) will work too but thats too expensive for me. Also, you can pick up copper jewelry wire at a craft store for fairly cheap. It has an epoxy insulation on it but the heat from the solder makes quick work of it when you solder.

Mac82

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. But this time I didn't have any problem getting the solder to flow as I used a torch to heat up the joint. As for it looking good, it was my first attempt with this technique so it's good enough for me (this time )

Mac82

Almost done folks

Rudder and elevator servos installed with the coffee straw wire guides

Landing gear installed and steerable tail wheel fabricated

The inside over the cowell reinforced with the extreme packing tape

Last step is to add the Windows and covering

Mac82

I painted the parts that are going to be difficult or impossible to cover with the monokote

The cowell

The dash and the window struts

I mixed a very close approximation of the cub yellow using acrylic model paint.

Mac82

Well covering is finished.!

Just a few more small things to finish, the wing struts decals and most importantly the control horns. Then some fair weather to fly her maiden

Mac82

This is my first build in a couple years. I'm actually very pleased with the way it turned out.
Just a couple more details and she'll be ready to fly

Mac82

Painting on the traditional lightning bolt

And it just wouldn't look right without the wing struts

Mac82

I just finished up the wing struts, but the weather has been less than cooperative lately. So I will have a maiden flight and video by the end of the week or this weekend.

Mac82

Alright folks,
First I would like to thank everyone that has been following this build.

I have some final specifications for y'all.

Span. : 41in weight: 27oz (all up )
Length: 28in wing area: 280 sq. in
Height: 9in. wing loading: 13 oz

Power
28/26 1400 kv Turnigy aerodrive
20A hobby king BSC/5A BEC
8x5 master airscrew prop
11.1v 25C 3S

Maiden flight video coming soon!

I'll work on the fine details like the gear suspension and the dummy engines and I may have to rebuild the cowell, but other than that she's ready to fly.