Caddx vista with aura 5 lite

ace crouton

So I'm still pretty new to the hobby so sorry if this is a obvious question. I have a nano goblin that I set up with a aura 5 and it flies great. Now that I'm comfortable flying line of sight I want to get into fpv. I would like to use a caddx vista but am unsure how I connect it to the aura. Pretty sure I wont have OSD with the aura which is fine for now since I don't plan on flying far right away. I eventually would like to do an Inav build but wanna keep it simple at first. My receiver uses the 3 port plug on the aura so would I power the vista from the 4 port even though the vista harness has 5 wires? I see guys soldering the vista wires directly on other FCs but I don't think its possible with the aura. I've found tons of info on connecting them to matek boards but nothing with the aura 5 lite. Any advice?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm just getting into FPV myself but have a decent understanding of electronics.

First off, forget about the aura as there is no OSD, and the voltage out is too small. The three-cell battery voltage is perfect for this so if your ESC has that second plug that a lot of them have now, that will do it. Or you can wire it directly to another small 3 or 4 cell battery. That is what I have done. Forget the extra wires, for now, they are for OSD, just go red to red and black to black and cap off the rest.
If neither of the first two solutions works for you then you will need to make some kind of jumper to get battery voltage. You could do this with a male and a female battery connector and some wire.

Attachments

• 20220109_220854.jpg
    20220109_220854.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ace crouton

I'm just getting into FPV myself but have a decent understanding of electronics.

First off, forget about the aura as there is no OSD, and the voltage out is too small. The three-cell battery voltage is perfect for this so if your ESC has that second plug that a lot of them have now, that will do it. Or you can wire it directly to another small 3 or 4 cell battery. That is what I have done. Forget the extra wires, for now, they are for OSD, just go red to red and black to black and cap off the rest.
If neither of the first two solutions works for you then you will need to make some kind of jumper to get battery voltage. You could do this with a male and a female battery connector and some wire.

Ok cool! Thanks for explaining this. good to know I can get a feel for the fpv before the Inav build. The aura is so easy to set up and use I'm reluctant to change it but will be better off with a matek in the long run for OSD features

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Ok cool! Thanks for explaining this. good to know I can get a feel for the fpv before the Inav build. The aura is so easy to set up and use I'm reluctant to change it but will be better off with a matek in the long run for OSD features
Exactly, I see no hurry, will want to do something with a "real" FC down the road as I want to venture out farther at which point I'll want to know things like battery health and such.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have two nano goblins. One with an aura and AIO fpv camera, and one with iNav on a FC with OSD, GPS, and full telemetry. I am running Li-ion in both which means 30+ minutes of flight. The telemetry in this bird is not as critical to me with nice long flights.
There is no way to connect a caddix to the aura. Just enjoy being able to see the whole picture!

ace crouton

I have two nano goblins. One with an aura and AIO fpv camera, and one with iNav on a FC with OSD, GPS, and full telemetry. I am running Li-ion in both which means 30+ minutes of flight. The telemetry in this bird is not as critical to me with nice long flights.
There is no way to connect a caddix to the aura. Just enjoy being able to see the whole picture!

So you connect straight to the battery like it's stated above as well? I've read some drone guys use a in line voltage regulator. Why is this? Also when do you know you need a voltage regulator?

This build will be running off a 3s li ion so hopefully that's enough power or not to much to fry the air unit

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
So you connect straight to the battery like it's stated above as well? I've read some drone guys use a in line voltage regulator. Why is this? Also when do you know you need a voltage regulator?

This build will be running off a 3s li ion so hopefully that's enough power or not to much to fry the air unit
The main problem with running straight off your main power battery would be noise coming off the ESC. If you don't get any noise then you should be fine.

ace crouton

Sorry to keep resurrecting this but my ESC is a 35amp with a 3amp 5v bec from the flite test store. The ESC does have the second plug you mentioned that I assume is coming off the BEC. Is the 5v 3amp enough power for the vista? If not my plan was to make a pigtail off the battery with a capacitor on the one for the air unit

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Sorry to keep resurrecting this but my ESC is a 35amp with a 3amp 5v bec from the flite test store. The ESC does have the second plug you mentioned that I assume is coming off the BEC. Is the 5v 3amp enough power for the vista? If not my plan was to make a pigtail off the battery with a capacitor on the one for the air unit
For the FT 35 amp ESC, the red JST plug is battery voltage, not regulated. It will power the Vista if you have a 3s or greater.

ace crouton

Thanks to everyone who helped. All of this fpv tech stuff can be so overwhelming and all of you have been awesome taking time to explain it. I got myself a meter so I was able to see it had enough voltage for the camera. Got everything paired and powered up and works great! Just waiting on a longer camera cable and I'll be in the air!