Can I set this up on my DX6?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
So I have been using the betafpv lite radio 2 (frsky) for a while on my quads. I use a dx6 for my planes. Here is my question:

Is there any way to set up the dx6 so I can have throttle, yaw, pitch, roll, arm, modes (stability, horizon, acro), and turtle mode? (This is seven chanels right?)

I don't want to have to get a tx16s unless I have to and as much as I like the lite radio 2 I like my spektrum more (plus a 40$ radio only goes so far). The spektrum is 6 channel and the beta radio is 8 ch. However the spektrum has almost double the amount of switches.

Thank you,
Mr_Stripes

Bricks

Master member
I am not a quad guy but you should be able to do this as modes will be on a 3 position switch and arming can either be a switch or by the gimbals not sure how to do it. Turtle is set up, kind of read about it but not sure.. That is about as far as I can go someone with more quad experience should be along.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Mr_Stripes You would first have to disable or remove the FRsky receiver and replace it with one of the spectrum receivers.

The cool thing about betaflight is it allows you to map different things to one switch.

You would have the 4 channels for control, a 5th for arming AND modes. You could put horizon mode or angle mode on that switch as well so a 3 pos arm switch would be set up with pos 0 is disarmed. pos1 would be armed and no mode set which defaults to acro mode and pos 2 could be arm with horizon mode. With pos 1 and 2 being interchangeable if you fly mostly assisted mode you could arm with leveling on pos 1 and arm no mode / acro on pos 2. Thus leaving the last switch for turtle mode.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
You would have the 4 channels for control, a 5th for arming AND modes. You could put horizon mode or angle mode on that switch as well so a 3 pos arm switch would be set up with pos 0 is disarmed. pos1 would be armed and no mode set which defaults to acro mode and pos 2 could be arm with horizon mode. With pos 1 and 2 being interchangeable if you fly mostly assisted mode you could arm with leveling on pos 1 and arm no mode / acro on pos 2. Thus leaving the last switch for turtle mode.
Yes!!!!!! Thank you so much! I was going to build a kababfpv tp3 and I wanted a better radio for that.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
I am not a quad guy but you should be able to do this as modes will be on a 3 position switch and arming can either be a switch or by the gimbals not sure how to do it. Turtle is set up, kind of read about it but not sure.. That is about as far as I can go someone with more quad experience should be along.
Thank you too. I love this forum. (and your little ending "up is expensive" part is awesome lol same with bills law)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes!!!!!! Thank you so much! I was going to build a kababfpv tp3 and I wanted a better radio for that.

I'm going to post the latest build I have done here tonight. Or at least get the start on a start to finish build thread for a 3 inch 3s / 4s do everything quad. Under 200 dollars for a near perfect for everything build. AND its possible to build and stay under 250 g. WITH full fpv no cheap crap Chinese AIO unit.

heres a teaser pic (its had upgrades since this part of the build

20200528_025856.jpg

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Okay one more stupid question. For a toothpick do I need a normal receiver or one of those satellite receivers?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Yeah I was going to build the tp3 as kabab recommends it. If that is enough for me then I will build something smaller next. However if I want to fly bigger places then I will build something like yours more like a mini 5 inch. Are those 1404s or 1408s?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
the motors are 1407 3300kv Emax Eco series

Anything under 4 inch probably needs a micro size receiver so yeah for spectrum a satellite.

Meta comment... WOW that crackhead wants 570 dollars for a built and tuned tooth pick?

TOOTHPICK 3 (TP3) - Ready To Fly - Built and Tuned by KababFPV · Includes: · Customer Reviews.
$570.00 · ‎Out of stock.

Cost Breakdown:
  • Parts: $235.51
  • 4-5 hours of labor : $350

Last edited:

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
That is why you buy the kit or find all the parts and build it your self.
4-5 hours of labor
The funny thing is he built the tp3 to run really well with no tuning on beta 3.7.5. Maybe the crazy price if because he hates tuning? Still I don't see who would buy that. I could build a whole range of quads for that money

Here is the parts for my build

1204 5000kv rcinpower motors
geprc 2-4s toothpick board
tp3 knockoff frame
eachine nano vtx 25-400mw
caddx ant
gemfan 3018 bi blades
lemonrx satellite
only like 120$ for a high end toothpick.

Running on 2-3s 450-520mah batteries (and I'm going to try a 850 3s that I have for my planes :0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That little quad is going to be a rocket! What is the AUW?

Just got done swapping frames to a freshly painted new one as I am passing this quad on to a friend. The changes I have made include a tpu mount with an axii stubby antenna and a runcam phoenix 2 camera instead of the runcan microswift. AUW with a 4s 850 mah 75c pack is 248.4g.

And yes it is quite quick, but on the other hand flys like a whoop the way I have one of the profiles set up. All the build info and videos are going to be added as well as a complete screen shot series of betaflight showing every setting. I started that thread here...

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/

and yes I do believe that is how you would bind a satellite receiver from spectrum.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Actually I am bummed... I forgot to replace the battery pad and strap.. that put it at 253.6g.....sigh.....
Guess my bud will have to use a smaller battery or swap out the axii and tpu mount for a dipole antenna if he wants to fly the bigger 4s pack. If not dropping down to a 650 will bring him back into line easily enough.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
So if I was to put a spektrum rx on this board where would I solder the wires?
1607137310092.png
1607137477418.png

Spektrum needs 3.3v gnd and rx2 (is that tx2) right?
Thanks.
Mr_Stripes