Cannot activate launch assist on FT Aura 5

kore99

Hey all, I'm working on my first FT plane, a Simple Cub. I've got my FlySky radio and FS-IA6B radio working with the Aura board via sbus. I've got the 3 position switch working to switch flight modes.

What I can't get working is Launch Assist. I have set up all servo reversing. I changed the ranges to 120% as a test. I tried holding the stick in all directions just in case I goofed something up, but no matter what, I don't get the red light and elevator response indicating launch assist is active.

Can someone recommend some more troubleshooting steps?

kore99

In case anyone has the same problem, I discovered my elevator was backwards. It worked fine with the radio, but when I entered the quick change mode, I discovered that the elevator response when the aircraft tipped was backwards. I reversed it in the aura setup, so then my elevator responded improperly to control inputs. So I reversed channel 2 on my radio. Now launch assist activates.

When I activate launch assist, everything seems to work fine, except I'm surprised that the plane throttles up a bit when the elev/ail stick is held to lower left. That shouldn't be. So I'll keep looking.

Phin G

Elite member
In case anyone has the same problem, I discovered my elevator was backwards. It worked fine with the radio, but when I entered the quick change mode, I discovered that the elevator response when the aircraft tipped was backwards. I reversed it in the aura setup, so then my elevator responded improperly to control inputs. So I reversed channel 2 on my radio. Now launch assist activates.

When I activate launch assist, everything seems to work fine, except I'm surprised that the plane throttles up a bit when the elev/ail stick is held to lower left. That shouldn't be. So I'll keep looking.
In the new Ft video they do a walkthrough on setting it up however i dont know if they walk through the launch assist but i would recommend watching to see if you might have set something up wrong and to fix your inverted elavons

kore99

Figured this one out too. I had set my throttle endpoints to 120% in the radio, then calibrated the ESC to that range. So, what I think happens is that when the FT Aura commands zero throttle, it's setting -100%, not -120%. So the ESC thinks runs the motor slow, not off. So I returned to 100% range and the problem is solved.

kore99

In the new Ft video they do a walkthrough on setting it up however i dont know if they walk through the launch assist but i would recommend watching to see if you might have set something up wrong and to fix your inverted elavons

Do you have a specific video you're talking about? I think I've been through each Aura video FT has put out. The documentation is lacking a bit, but the videos are alright. They only use FrSky or Spektrum, so I've had a few problems to solve, adapting to FlySky. I've been documenting what I've learned here: http://www.atterberry.net/funstuff/aura-5-with-flysky/

I'm reviewing the vids right now, about to install my first Aura.
FIELD SETUP
He says if you haven't input your trims to the Aura (and then set them back to zero on your radio) then you can't use launch assist.