• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Carbon Cub GPS Problems

I need help. I am new to flying planes. I am having a terrible time, problem with the Carbon Cub S+. I am on my 2nd one in 3 weeks and keep having trouble with the gps and loosing communication with the air plane. I flew yesterday and had 3 really great flights with no problems at all. Range check was done and worked fine, everything done just as the instruction manual said to do, went to fly today and as soon as I got in the air I lost communication with the plane and off it went to who knows where. No matter what I did it would not respond. I called horizon hobbies and they could not give me a good answer as to why this happened with 2 different Carbon cubs. The only thing in common with each plane was the radio, a spektrum dxe that came with the first Carbon Cub. Like I said I am new to flying planes but have been taken by them and I don't want to quit but I am very frustrated and would appreciate any help, answers that anyone can give me. Is there a better first plane trainer out there that anyone would recommend????? Thanks

I had a champ S+ that flew away , I got the Carbon Cub S+ to replace it. The more I flew it the more I worried about it leaving. I took the GPS module out of mine. It still has SAFE but no GPS functions. I like the plane and never used the auto land so it worked out for me. I think the SAFE function is good for a person learning on his own but the GPS system is not ready for prime time.

Merv

One thing to know is, the active element. It is the exposed wire at the end. This what you care about, it should be fairly straight. It needs to be a specific length and away from anything metal, carbon fiber or electronic (ESC & battery). Those items will block the signal. If you have a 90 degree bend in the middle of your active element, you will drastically cut your range. The black part (in this picture), you don't care about, can be any length, tie it in a knot, hide it in carbon fiber. It's just the antenna lead.

If you fray the shielding (the lead) you will allow unwanted rf signal in, which will kill your range. The antenna must be repaired or replaced. To repair, just cut off the frayed coax and solder the remaining coax back onto the Rx board. If you manage to cut off a portion of the active element, just peal back more of the lead. Its best to cut off a bit more of the lead than necessary, then trim the active element to length. Like they are doing in this picture.

I have flown many years with a single antenna Rx (the old Flysky), installed on the inside of my plane. The only time I have had any range issues is when I damaged my antenna lead. A range check is invaluable to discover this damage on the ground and not in the air.

Any time the Rx is stopped by the antenna catching on something, you have the potential to damage the lead.

Bricks

As Merv said and being the DXE is a single antenna transmitter never point the transmitter at the plane worst thing that can be done.