CarPlane® - Design by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Since I have managed to eek out success with my Taylor Aerocar design with the assistance of Fiddler's green paper model, I have turn my eyes to the roadable aircraft concepts.

The next one that I saw and thought :unsure:... THAT could be made of Foam - FAST!
ITS the CARPLANE®
Wings tuck away from driving and help down thrust at high speeds. and in 15 minutes... the are locked in and ready to fly!
1620163223764.png
index.php
1620163715905.png
1620163734932.png

It isn't just a Concept. it has been flown!

History (from http:\\www.carplane.com and Wiki)
Wiki:
The Carplane GmbH Carplane is a German roadable aircraft under development by Carplane GmbH of Braunschweig. The aircraft is intended to be supplied complete and ready-to-fly.

The nearly complete prototype was first shown at the AERO Friedrichshafen show in 2015.

Design and development
The design is intended to be certified as an EASA CS-VLA Very Light Aircraft under EASA airworthiness rules. It may also be put in the US light-sport aircraft category under a weight exemption.[2]

The Carplane features a folding cantilever high-wing, two individual single-seat enclosed cockpits in side-by-side configuration in separate fuselages with individual bubble canopies. It has fixed quadracycle landing gear with 38.1 cm (15 in) wheels and a single engine in pusher configuration.[1]

The twin fuselage design is intended to produce a vehicle that will drive as well as any compact car, while allowing space for the wings to fold and to store between the two fuselages, thus improving road aerodynamics and lower centre of gravity.[2][3]

The aircraft is made from composites. Its 9.715 m (31.9 ft) span wing has an area of 10.72 m2 (115.4 sq ft) and can be extended in 20 seconds from road mode to aircraft mode. The standard engine used is a 130 hp (97 kW) LSA-Engines LSA850-130 gasoline two-cylinder four-stroke 850 cc (52 cu in) powerplant.[1][4]

Funding for the development is being provided by the European Union and the German state of Lower Saxony.[3]

Company Website:
No Folding/Reduction/Exposure of Critical Parts
Carplane®'s patented wing deployment mechanism simply automates what glider pilots do when they tow their planes to airstrips and manually attach the wings. The advantage over other concepts is that the wings/rotors aren't folded (i.e., they remain in one piece). This reduces weight and increases safety.

By storing the wings along the length of the vehicle at an upward angle, Carplane® achieves the longest possible, unsegmented wing length within the confines of a normal car. This reduces wing loading and increases aspect ratio, thereby enhancing both safety and performance.

By storing the wings between two hulls, they're protected from damage.

Extra-STOL Performance
Carplane®'s takeoff distance is extra-short because it uses both its rear wheels and its propeller to accelerate.

Compared to other planes, Carplane®'s landing distance is extra-short due to disc brakes on 4 (rather than 3) wheels with block (rather than balloon) tires. Braking effectiveness is further increased by flaps which can be deployed beyond neutral to an "up" position to create downforce after touchdown.

Why Two Fuselages?
Carplane®’s twin hulls aren’t merely a design feature but, rather, a key element enabling real driving as opposed to „taxiing to the next airstrip“. Carplane® rejects poor driving performance as a „compromise“. This distinguishes Carplane® from most other concepts.

Carplane®’s specifications call for a two-person bimodal vehicle:
  • with 2 whole (i.e. not folded) wings (min. 5m² ea., to be easy to fly);
  • 4 large roadwheels (min. 15”) with block (not balloon) tires (for road performance);
  • fits in a standard-size home garage (i.e. max. 6mL/3mW/2.4mH);
  • flies well (at least as good as a training aircraft) &
  • drives well (at least as good as a compact car).

Analysis of many possible layouts revealed that these specifications are best met when employing a twin-hull configuration. Here are two examples:

a). Fast, stable road travel depends on how the wings are stored:
  • if they’re stored underneath, they’re too small (=hard to fly) & the number of wheels is limited to only three;
  • if they’re stored above, they create lift in road mode and make the vehicle too high for most underground parking (max. allowed height 2.1m) or if stored behind a cabin they're too short (affecting safety and performance);
  • if they’re stored on the side, they limit the field of vision or create crosswind instability and, if they’re stored further aft, they make the vehicle too long and may lead to weather-cocking.

Storing them between two hulls at a wedge-like angle to the ground creates aerodynamic downdraft, protects the wings from damage and enables high road speeds.

b). Two hulls provide the most drag-efficient housing for a wheelbase consisting of four large roadwheels.

Carplane® is fully aware that some recreational customers may initially question separate cabins (business customers already have cabins separate from their drivers/pilots). However, this layout provides the performance which Carplane® deems necessary for success. For Carplane®, the choice isn’t: „one or two hulls?“; but: „unsatisfatory performance or two hulls?“.
1620244137596.png

SPECIFICATIONS

Technical Specifications (air mode)

Technical Specifications (road mode)

Designation: Carplane®
Type: Single engine, roadable monoplane
Features: Retractable wings & empennage
Seats: 2
Landing gear: 4 non-retractable 15” road wheels
Length/Länge: 7.453 m
Height/Höhe: 1.890 m
Wing span/Spannweite: 9.715 m
Gross wing area/Fläche: 10.72 m² (115.4 sq ft)
Weight empty/Leergew.: 498 kg (1,097 lb)
MTOW/Startgewicht: 750 kg (1,653 lb) VLA Category
Engine/Antrieb: PC850, 151hp
Propeller: 1.68 m (5 ft 6¼ in), 4 blades, foldable
Max fuel weight: 72 kg (158 lb), 100 litres (26.4 US gallons)
T-O run: 85 m (279 ft) (est)
Landing run: 85 m (279 ft) (est)
Range: 450 n miles (833 km; 517 miles) (est)
Rate of climb: 351 m/min (1,150 ft/min) (est)
Service ceiling: 4,570 m (15,000 ft) (est) [OEI]
Max level speed: 120 kt (222 km/h; 138 mph) (est)
Cruising speed: 108 kt (200 km/h; 125 mph) (est)
Stalling speed: 36 kt (66.3 km/h; 41.4 mph) (est)
No exemptions are required for air certification.

Type: M-1* category road vehicle (*passenger car)
Top speed: 176 km/h
Particle emissions: EURO-5
Width: 2,25m
Length: 5,44m
Height: 2,12m

RC Model
Length: 26.5 in
Wingspan: 55 in
Wing area: 154in
Weight: 200g(projected)
AUW: 350g (projected)
Wing Loading 8.5 oz/sf
Cubic Wing Loading: 7.04

RC Model
Length:20"
Width:8"
WheelBase:8"
Proportional Steering
eCalc setup

eClac CG finder
CG at the chord as expected. 1.75 - 2" from LE

on Cubic Loading for General Performance:
1620245930678.png
A 7 means it is likely to behave like a motorized sail plane.

Plans:
Alpha
1620163379424.png 1620163430880.png
4/4/21 - THESE HAVE NOT BEEN BUILT! Build at your own Risk

Inspiration:
1620163868365.png

http://carplane.com/

Build Log
4/4
Plans are finished (not polished) and read to test the build and see if it flies.
4/5
Plans are printed and mounted ready for cutting.

Is that It?
Don't worry, there are plenty of concepts to try after this there will be more I'm sure

Attachments

• CarplaneV1.1.pdf
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1620163691522.png
    1620163691522.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Build LOG
4/4
Plans are finished (not polished) and read to test the build and see if it flies.
4/5
Mount the Plans and begin Cutting
4/6
Cutting in earnest along with some test fits.
IMG_20210507_021102064.jpg IMG_20210507_021111022.jpg
IMG_20210507_021116028.jpg IMG_20210507_021126221.jpg
The plans have the top and bottom wing backwards on the right outer wing section.
It means the wing trailing edge won't meet, and the spar dyhedral points down, not up, creating an-hedral.
FIX: Just flip the tAb holes and the paper removal for the wings. I will adjust the plan and update soon.
Reserved

Last edited:

FoamyDM

You would think I would things our during or before the design, and mostly, I have.
3 big ticket items to nail down.
  1. How to setup the front and rear tires exactly with steering
  2. How to work the retractable booms.
  3. How to control the elevator and rudder
And ideas?

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You would think I would things our during or before the design, and mostly, I have.
And idas?
you looking for ideas on how to get the stuff to work? or something else?

FoamyDM

I have a few things I plan to try, listed below. I am all ears. right now it is pieces. the Tail Expands 6" aft.
1. I don't need it, but I would like steering and suspension (3d printing from a similar scale car is my plane.
2. Boom retraction is like a 3d printer nozzle. the boom runs in a track, powered by a loop tie to a 360 deg servo.
3. I was going to either put 5g servos in the tail, or attached at the front of the boom and run line either in or along the boom (not sure yet)

Walden

And ideas?

While reading this I remembered another plane which had suspension and front wheel steering: Dr. Looping Looie's Wind Puff

FoamyDM

The windpuff is one of my favorite @Dr. Looping Looie builds. There are a number of innovative FB techniques in there.

I started working on the tail boom cutting the surface. It is important to keep the horizontal stabilizer parallel with the boom top.
IMG_20210509_000820678.jpg IMG_20210509_000827499.jpg
I added a channel to one of the booms. I will change the plans to add them in both. Then I worked on the 2nd channel for the boom to slide in. To keep it aligned. They need spacers to keep them parallel.
I then but together the motor pod and layer it out to see.
From the work last night I have some plan adjustments to do. Thicken up the rear fuse by a FB thickness. I need to pull out the iron and finish the trialing edges of the wings and control surfaces. On the carplane and the J-1000
IMG_20210509_025009274.jpg IMG_20210509_025002825.jpg

FoamyDM

After everything was ironed this bar needed some reinforcing with wooden stirring stick here's a picture.
IMG_20210513_230546486.jpg
The pieces were glued and taped down to ensure that they have the right shape for long enough for the glue to solidify thoroughly.
There are two mechanisms for the wing alignment one is the top of the fuselage keeps the overlapping shape in line and the popsicle tab glued into the center section helps keep the rear of the wing in line as well.
IMG_20210513_232512261.jpg IMG_20210513_232951613.jpg
IMG_20210513_233320578.jpg

I was working on about three or four different projects throughout the night so the table did get quite busy but here is the full Wing section sitting on top of the two fuselage pieces with the tail placed into the slots.
IMG_20210514_013232972.jpg IMG_20210514_013211292.jpg
The boom retraction mechanism is smoother than I thought it was going to be and very effective.

I thought on details:
This prototype model I don't think we'll have enough forethought to allow for the basic RC car mechanisms like shocks and steering and motor dedicated to ground motion. And I'm not sure that this model needs automated retraction or extension of the tail boom or many of the other helpful features of the full size model.
Maybe with this model the trick is to get it looking correct and flying properly I suppose we'll find out.

Somebody have any thoughts if I should keep it simple for this prototype and then build a second one with more complexity? Or just build it as complexes I can cuz I'm probably only going to do it once?

It's looking really good though I'm liking what I'm seeing so far especially how the wings go together and sit in between the fuses.