FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by FoamyDM, Junker J-1000

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I am also going to design and build the J-1000.
1617688508897.png

I'm not sure the scale Yet. right Now
I'm thinking 10m - 1ft or ~1:30 scale

These impossibly large plane concepts are some of the most inspiring works.

Declaration / Purpose: I am intrigued by the flying elevator, and the long curved up hulls, with 4 motors. with spacious cabins set in the wings. The sheer size of it to build as a replica would fit the scale of the field I fly, and the materials. How to get such a long span (8ft), or more. If this wasn't a Seaplane, I'm planning to design it as one.

History: [information from Wikipedia]
The Junkers J.1000 was an exercise in aeronautical design produced by the Junkers company of Germany in the mid-1920s.[1] No airplane was ever produced. The design was led by Otto Mader who was also responsible for such Junkers aircraft as the J.1, which was the first all-metal aircraft to enter mass production.[2]

The dimensions were impressive, even by today's standards. The span of the main wing was over 260 feet as compared to today's Boeing 747 which has a wingspan of 196 feet. The main wing was 24 feet thick at its greatest point allowing ample headroom for standing passengers and crew. The overall length of the craft was some 80 feet. With projected flight times of up to 10 hours, sleeping accommodations were also built into the massive main wing.[4]

The J.1000 design project was initiated by company founder Hugo Junkers specifically for a promotional trip to the United States. During their 1924 visit with potential U.S. investors, Junkers and Ernst Zindel, chief designer at Junkers, proposed the J.1000 as a trans-Atlantic commercial transport. To sell their proposed craft, they brought design blueprints, renderings of the completed airplane as well as a model aircraft. Mock-ups of the interior cabins were set up at Junkers headquarters in Dessau Germany and photographs of them were included in these discussions. A proposed air route was also discussed connecting Europe and the United States through Iceland, Greenland and the Atlantic coast of Canada.

Not surprisingly, U.S. investor reaction was minimal. This futuristic craft was easily twenty-five years ahead of its time. Given the lack of investor interest, Junkers did not pursue this venture beyond this single visit to the United States. Design features of the J.1000 however were incorporated into later aircraft. For example, the concept of incorporating the passenger cabin within the main wing was again seen in the Junkers G.38 which first flew some five years later in 1929.

Specs:
Building description "Zukunftseindecker" Junkers J. 1000
Four-engine airliner in duck design, 1924.
Structure
Tubular frame with corrugated sheet metal. Command post above the wing nose with good visibility in all directions. Behind the FT room and kitchen, next to the command post, cabin for the commander and the chief officer, or for two pilots. Behind these rooms are the engine rooms with free piston compressors. All passenger areas are accommodated in the wing, which is 2.3 m high at the thickest point, namely 12 cabins with 6 people each in the front part of the wing, 14 additional cabins for 2 people each in the center aisle of the wing. All passenger seats set up for quick conversion to sleeping places (as in train compartments). There is also sufficient space for crew and luggage rooms.
Fuselage
Two short hulls, constructed like a supporting structure, connect the supporting structure with the front wing, serve as dining and viewing areas for 18 people each, and contain the landing gear shaft for the main landing gear.
Undercarriage
Two main groups of undercarriages, each with three wheels lying next to each other, retractable into hulls, covered by blinds. Two fixed spurs with spur roller.
Tail unit
front wing designed as a pendulum rudder (horizontal tail unit ). Double rudder unit arranged as an extension of the two fuselages. Two keeled, rudderless side fins set to the direction of flight are arranged near the wing tips (only on the upper side).
Engine
Originally 4 x 1000 HP = 4000 HP free-piston compressors were provided, which supply the four turbines behind the propellers with compressed air via a pipeline system, a collecting tank and a subsequent second pipe system. Later 4 x 2000 HP = 8000 HP were given as engine power; the oil motors should be placed in the conventional manner directly behind the propellers in the wing nose.

Technical data Junkers J. 1000 (1924)
Span 80 000 mm
length over. a. 24,000 mm
maximum wing depth 10,000 mm
maximum wing height
2,300 mm wing area 600 m2
maximum height
7,500 mm All-up weight 36,000 kg of
which payload (100 passengers with luggage) 12,000 kg
fuel supply for 10 hours 10,000 kg
Airframe, engine, equipment, etc. 14,000 kg
performance
vmax 190 km / h
area load 60 kg / ma
power
load 9 kg / PS area performance 6.7 PS / m2
A Flight Simulator Model:
1617689444619.png

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Reserved - Build Log
1617689911345.png

1617689936550.png

1617689961302.png
1617689967487.png
1617689990696.png

1617690030341.png
1617690048534.png

a 1/144 scale model:
1617690147092.png

4/6
Declare the Project officially. write out the purpose, and lookup and add the History of the Aircraft and some pictures to inspire me (see Previous Post, and above).
4/9
At the end of the ARCN Podcast build night I took a moment to build a scaled chuck glider and see what came of it.
IMG_20210410_021225990.jpg

Sadly it wasn't much. Just a bent-up forward hull. I will remake the hulls for some more tries tomorrow

Last edited:

Brian B

Elite member
I like your enthusiasm. I highly suspect it would remain stuck to the water surface in takeoff without a planning and stepped hull. This timeframe was just after the so-called "stepped hydroplane" race boats were refined, from prior displacement hull racers. If a real plane had been built, steps and planning surfaces would probably have been added.

FoamyDM

I was planning to add the hydraulic step. But the historical technical surrounding it's development regarding water craft is interesting. I will have to look it up for myself to see if there are more juicy details. and add relevant information to the history above. Thank you @Brian B.

Brian B

Elite member
Oh, I'm now understanding this was not originally designed as a seaplane! But it sure looks like it could be. Looking forward to your progress reports, since I'd like to try something similar. Foamboard construction?

FoamyDM

some times there would be a decent float. like you want. then when I go to throw is and record... It would have a tendency to nose down and in! or it would come up and stall. The weight stayed put, but each smash into the Hardwood (inevitably it would miss the chair or carpet for harder surfaces) messed up the canard angle.

FoamyDM

mostly... it is in the ballpark... but the ballpark is the size of home plate.
So because I have already put some effort in, I have a rough Alpha set to build.
I already know I have some updates to the "Fuselage/ Pontoons/Hold"
But It is a Start. I printed two. so I can tweak the second. 1 is mounted this morning
1618335171145.png

Attachments

• FDM J1000v2.pdf
    164 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
free-piston compressors were provided, which supply the four turbines behind the propellers with compressed air via a pipeline system, a collecting tank and a subsequent second pipe system.
If its not complicated enough already, how could this work? AirHogz? Lolo_O

Think of the scale of ambition, being from 1924!
As massive as 80 meter wingspan would be, imagine the Hindenburg was 245 meters long:eek:
I think in real life it would have been better off in the water. Every time the tail wheels touched down everybody would spill their beers and ashtrays lol:p Cool project. Im kinda concerned about what cross winds will do to it, but I dont know.