Celera 500L -laminar flow bullet shaped plane.

leaded50

Legendary member
This unusual bullet-shaped plane made some roars when suddenly was spotted.
The potencially revolusionary Celera 500L is said to be the biggest thing to happen to both the aviation and travel industries in 50 years , with its highly aerodynamic overall laminar flow shape, which produces approximately 59 percent less drag than existing similar-sized, more conventionally-shaped aircraft.
Its a mid wing, rear pusher configure plane.

Some time ago, some discussion was on this plane at web, and wondering on someone made a model. Here too, its not so much info given on the plane as length, wingspan measures eg. only internal height/width, and what dieselengine eg. And, pictures isnt easiest to give correct measures.
Some time ago i made a Piper Jet plane, and its wing have some recemblance with the one at the Celera... some at least. ;) and since that wing is detachable, i decided to use it , change in what plane i can use it on. ...then just need build the fuselage on the Celera.

Out of the pictures who is to be found, (none in 3D view) i decided fuselage needs be approx 850mm long + the endpart behind tailfins to fit the 1280mm wide Piper Jet wing, with a diameter of 185mm. Every part shaped as in "master style builds" , but here made in two parts -one top, one bottom, to make easier the skins, and adjustments when needed.

image-asset.png
63636.jpg

Last edited:

Yusernaym

I'm looking forward to this build. It'll be interesting to see how well this concept scales down. What kind of power system are you thinking of using? Will you be sticking to the efficiency of the original design or using something a little more powerful to make it more enjoyable to fly?

leaded50

Legendary member
I'm looking forward to this build. It'll be interesting to see how well this concept scales down. What kind of power system are you thinking of using? Will you be sticking to the efficiency of the original design or using something a little more powerful to make it more enjoyable to fly?

plan is using a 2814 1400KV motor laying around here, with a 4blade prop. (not as easy find 5blade in sizes) who should give thrust enough (around 1500-2000g), even with 7 - 8 inch prop, at supposed total weight of 12-1400g. Ive not calculated on the original power vs model, since no info on size/weight is given on the plane, just what motor, who has 410kw by take off.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
This unusual bullet-shaped plane made some roars when suddenly was spotted.
The potencially revolusionary Celera 500L is said to be the biggest thing to happen to both the aviation and travel industries in 50 years , with its highly aerodynamic overall laminar flow shape, which produces approximately 59 percent less drag than existing similar-sized, more conventionally-shaped aircraft.
Its a mid wing, rear pusher configure plane.

Some time ago, some discussion was on this plane at web, and wondering on someone made a model. Here too, its not so much info given on the plane as length, wingspan measures eg. only internal height/width, and what dieselengine eg. And, pictures isnt easiest to give correct measures.
Some time ago i made a Piper Jet plane, and its wing have some recemblance with the one at the Celera... some at least. ;) and since that wing is detachable, i decided to use it , change in what plane i can use it on. ...then just need build the fuselage on the Celera.

Out of the pictures who is to be found, (none in 3D view) i decided fuselage needs be approx 850mm long + the endpart behind tailfins to fit the 1280mm wide Piper Jet wing, with a diameter of 185mm. Every part shaped as in "master style builds" , but here made in two parts -one top, one bottom, to make easier the skins, and adjustments when needed.

View attachment 181421 View attachment 181423

What is interesting is that there is no windows for the passangers. That's one way to reduce structual weight to give better milage.

leaded50

Legendary member
What is interesting is that there is no windows for the passangers. That's one way to reduce structual weight to give better milage.

- well, in this prototype they have used flying till now, its not any windows, correct. But on the productsite designpictures/drawings at interior, the plane have windows. And todays techniques/materials, it shouldnt be difficult to keep structural weight similar, even with windows. The main fuselage is anyway a composit material, its written.

Typical, since i like much "weird planes"/prototypes off builds.... i gonna follow this too as a prototype without the windows, since anyway wouldnt be any viewable interior in plane.

leaded50

Legendary member
filler and sanding is crap! :cautious:.
Hatch have got it magnetic holding, horizontal tailfin is done with whole surfacefin movement on carbonfiber tube, not just the rudder surface. Wingopenings are fitted to wing mounted eg.
(The motor-nacelle at end is supposedly a bit too long, will be fitted correctly to motor used. )

DSC_0424.JPG

flamingo

filler and sanding is crap! :cautious:.
Hatch have got it magnetic holding, horizontal tailfin is done with whole surfacefin movement on carbonfiber tube, not just the rudder surface. Wingopenings are fitted to wing mounted eg.
(The motor-nacelle at end is supposedly a bit too long, will be fitted correctly to motor used. )

View attachment 181582
can we get a vid of it in the air when its done and the sanding doesit look that bad

leaded50

Legendary member
i tried another light filler, and that s***** is close to concrete.. very hard to sand, take forever. Up close its easy see still places who could need touches of filler.. gonna get more of the before used, to get this plane ready.