Charging off brand batteries with a Spektrum smart charger.

KubKade

Hey guys so I'm wondering if I can charge any brand of battery like Turnigy with the Spektrum S120 smart charger? And does it matter if I plug in both leads or just the charging lead? Thanks!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
when charging, I would recommend to _always_ do balanced charging, to keep your batteries' cells from getting to out of balance with each other.

from one of the product pages: Can also be used to charge batteries without Smart technology, so I suspect it should be able to charge other batteries. So it would just involve getting the needed connectors/adapters for what ever connector is on the battery besides the balance lead.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys so I'm wondering if I can charge any brand of battery like Turnigy with the Spektrum S120 smart charger?
No, it’s only compatible with Spektrum SMART batteries. The “smart” batteries have a built in computer chip that communicates with the charger.

I recommend and use the IMax B6 charger.

JasonK

@Merv - so the comment on the store page that it can charge other batteries isn't true?

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXC1070

1611800389652.png

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@Merv - so the comment on the store page that it can charge other batteries isn't true?
My information comes from here
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPMXC1020

Apparently the S150 is compatible with other batteries & the S120 is not.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Type:USB ChargerInput:5-12VDC USB charge port, USB type C cable included, power supply required# Cells:2-3 Cell LiPo, 6-7 cell NiMHCharge Rate:4.35V per cell x3 for a 3 cell LiHV, 2A, Not selectableInput Connector:USBOutput Connector:IC3Battery Type:Only compatible with Spektrum SMART batteriesLength:2" (51mm)Width:2" (51mm)Height:0.55" (14mm)
OVERVIEW

Smart™ Technology Overview

Spektrum Smart technology is about offering a higher connection to your hobby. It’s a connection that puts you in complete control, makes you more aware and more confident about the capability of your equipment—all the while making vital components of your model easier to use than ever. The combined result is a sense that will make you wish everything about your hobby was “smarter.”

Spektrum Smart Charging virtually eliminates the hassle from charging your LiPo batteries. This is made possible by an integrated microchip on each Smart battery that communicates with your Smart charger to automatically determine the best charging settings. While all hobbyists will enjoy this simple experience, advanced hobbyists can take advantage of unique data such as cycle count, unhealthy activity like overcharge and discharge, battery temperature, C rating and much more, all saved within each battery. Additionally, automatic discharge to storage ensures a better, and healthier, lifespan for your batteries.

KubKade

Ok thanks guys! It looks like the S150 is capable of charging any battery’s but they don’t recommend it for the S120. That’s ok as I have another charger. Was just wondering.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Honestly, if you can, avoid the SMART batteries. It's some neat technology, but it's also REALLY expensive - and really, most pilots aren't looking down at their transmitter when they're flying for that data, except for maybe a quick glance, because they're focusing on keeping the plane from crashing; most look at the telemetry data after they've landed.

I know that a lot of people like the Imax B6 charger; it's inexpensive, but for me, there are a few glaring cons that turned me away from it. The Imax B6 and its clones usually don't offer AC charging unless you buy an additional transformer, so they're limited to charging with DC power. Most of the newer Hitec chargers allow you to charge via AC or DC, without needing an additional transformer, because it's built into the charger itself. That's a huge bonus to me, and when you look at the cost, it's pretty much breaking even with the Imax chargers.

The other disadvantage to the Imax, at least for me, is that it only allows you to charge one battery at a time (at least, safely - you CAN do parallel charging, but you have to make sure all of the batteries you're charging are at the same charge level - if one's at 3.7v across its cells and another is at 3.9v, you run the risk of having the higher voltage one overcharging and potentially exploding during a parallel charge). Going with something like a Venom Pro Duo or the Hitec X2 AC, you can charge two different batteries at the same time. This is great if you have say, a 3S 2200 and a 4S 1300 that you want to charge up, or a LiPo battery and a Li-Ion battery (the second one more common with charging for quadcopters flying FPV - you'll charge up some goggles batteries, which are Li-Ion, and charge a 4S LiPo for your quad). It's handy, and saves you quite a bit of time being able to charge both at the same time.

The downside is that those chargers are more expensive, but it works out to be pretty much the same price, or maybe $10 more than buying 2 Imax chargers and their transformers. It ultimately breaks down to "What works best for YOU?" but I'd be honest, the Spektrum SMART batteries seem gimmicky, proprietary, and expensive as heck for what they are and what they offer, because they require you to charge with only their chargers, and while they give you lots of data, it's only possible with their ESCs and equipment. I'd say to save your money and buy a Hitec, ISDT charger, or Imax/Imax clone instead.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The Imax B6 and its clones usually don't offer AC charging unless you buy an additional transformer
I view the DC charger as a pro, not a con. I have had more expensive 4 channel chargers. They worked great for several years. Then one channel failed & I was left with a 3 channel charger. Then another channel failed, now I'm down to 2. What I've found, the price you pay for something has very little to do with how long it will last.

That's when I decided to go a different route. I'm currently running 8 iMax B6 chargers running off of 1 power supply. I know any of my chargers can fail at any time. When they are on sale, I pickup a spare or two. So that WHEN one does fail, I just swap it out. I view the ability to replace just one, as a pro, it's an easy fix.

Now, I don't need to parallel charge and I'm not waiting ALL day to charge.

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
I view the DC charger as a pro, not a con. I have had more expensive 4 channel chargers. They worked great for several years. Then one channel failed & I was left with a 3 channel charger. Then another channel failed, now I'm down to 2. What I've found, the price you pay for something has very little to do with how long it will last.

That's when I decided to go a different route. I'm currently running 8 iMax B6 chargers running off of 1 power supply. I know any of my chargers can fail at any time. When they are on sale, I pickup a spare or two. So that WHEN one does fail, I just swap it out. I view the ability to replace just one, as a pro, it's an easy fix.

Now, I'm not waiting ALL day to charge.

Sounds like you’re not running the standard AC/DC transformer that most newbies are buying into, though. What you have is not what most people have rigged up, nor is it what most hobby store owners have knowledge of, either.

Don’t get me wrong, your setup is a decent setup, but for a new pilot, trying to get in to the hobby, keep things simple, AND keep things compact, it’s not exactly ideal. (The last bit about “compact” is my wife’s biggest argument with my RC plane hobby - she wants as much of it as possible contained into my backpack and 1/4 of our spare bedroom as possible)

All having to do with what works for YOU, right? And I think both you and I can agree that the SMART chargers are not the way to go. 😁

KubKade

Yes I agree with that. To spend almost twice as much for smart tech that you won’t use while flying for maybe 10 minutes per battery is a total waist. Before I knew about FT and FB (about 3 years ago), I bought an RTF Carbon Cub S+ that did not have the Spektrum electronics which I’m thankful for ( the updated version, now called the Carbon Cub S2, uses Spektrums SMART electronics and battery). About a year later I got a good deal on a RTF apprentice with the smart technology. I regret that purchase because crashed happen and this was no exception. I love my cub and the scale detail but I wish I would’ve known about FB before dumping $260 into my first plane which has crashed multiple times and repairs aren’t cheap. To any newbie buying planes is not a good option. Wait till you have learned on cheap FB before considering scale models. With bought planes you can’t cut out a new wing to replace your broken one. Instead you have to pay about $50. Unfortunately, Ilearned the hard way. Sorry this got off topic. lol

sprzout

Mentor
Yes I agree with that. To spend almost twice as much for smart tech that you won’t use while flying for maybe 10 minutes per battery is a total waist. Before I knew about FT and FB (about 3 years ago), I bought an RTF Carbon Cub S+ that did not have the Spektrum electronics which I’m thankful for ( the updated version, now called the Carbon Cub S2, uses Spektrums SMART electronics and battery). About a year later I got a good deal on a RTF apprentice with the smart technology. I regret that purchase because crashed happen and this was no exception. I love my cub and the scale detail but I wish I would’ve known about FB before dumping $260 into my first plane which has crashed multiple times and repairs aren’t cheap. To any newbie buying planes is not a good option. Wait till you have learned on cheap FB before considering scale models. With bought planes you can’t cut out a new wing to replace your broken one. Instead you have to pay about $50. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. Sorry this got off topic. lol

Funny you should mention the Apprentice - it's actually a great plane, and it's what I learned to fly with. I found it to be more tolerable to hard landings than many of the foamboard planes I've built. That said, there is a difference between a "hard landing" and a crash; if you spiral it in and clip a wingtip, have it go full throttle into the ground, or simply have it fall out of the sky without control, it's gonna break up. :) But I've bounced them a couple of times on the runway when coming in for a landing, and they've lasted me quite a while. My dad still has the Apprentice I learned and soloed on. :)

What I would suggest for you, is that if you're crashing a lot, find an RC club and see if you can get someone to observe your flights. Get pointers, maybe even see if you can get someone to buddy box with you. SAFE technology and GPS landing commands are neat tools, but they do NOT make you a better pilot; they can even be hindrances for flying. My dad's very first plane, a Flyzone Sensei, ended up in a tree 100 ft up, after a wind gust came up and the SAFE limiter wouldn't allow him to turn it sharply enough to keep him from flying into the tree. I truthfully think that people can learn on nice planes, but it all gets down to having some help and instruction, instead of trying to just go all out on your own and expecting the tech to help save you.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you’re not running the standard AC/DC transformer that most newbies are buying into, .......And I think both you and I can agree that the SMART chargers are not the way to go. 😁
I totally agree with about the "Smart" charger.

I started out with the standard AC/DC one channel charger most newbies have. I quickly got tired with waiting for batteries to charge. Then I went with a 4 channel charger, it worked great, until it began to fail. Then I went with 4 standard AC/DC chargers, that worked well, except for trying to manage all of the plugins. Occasionally I had a charger fail, the power supply still worked, but the charger did not. I would buy a DC only charger and swap out the guts. Then it occurred to me, why am I messing around with individual 12V power supplies. Get one large power supply to power all of my chargers.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Rather than unnecessarily starting another thread about charger questions, I thought I'd ask you smart guys who already answered here.(apologies if its hi-jacking)

Long version:
A charger that I have (voltz 6250) is having trouble charging. Whenever I plug in the balance cord, it displays the message "Bal. error" and then when I press start, "Balance port voltage err".
This only happens when charging 3 cell batteries(not 2 cell) so I think that it has something to do with the 3s balance port. If I buy this, then should that work based on my observations?
What do you think?

Short version:
I think that my 3s balance port is broken. Will this work?

JasonK

1 - that was a thread highjack
questions for your situation
2 - does your charger have a 6s balance port? (search is failing me finding that charger)
3 - do your 3s batteries work correctly on a different charger? or have you tested the 3s batteries to make sure the individual cells are all good?

if all of that still points to that being able to help you, it could still be something internal to the charger and only by testing with a different break out cable would you be able to determine if that is the case.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
1 - that was a thread highjack
questions for your situation
2 - does your charger have a 6s balance port? (search is failing me finding that charger)
3 - do your 3s batteries work correctly on a different charger? or have you tested the 3s batteries to make sure the individual cells are all good?

if all of that still points to that being able to help you, it could still be something internal to the charger and only by testing with a different break out cable would you be able to determine if that is the case.
1. OK
2. yes
3. yes
thanks

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I guess I’ll toss my opinion in on “smart” technology. I bought the carbon cub s-2 rtf when it came out. It has smart technology however I get battery voltage telemetry whether I’m using a “smart” pack or one of my other packs. It’s super handy just to glance down at the transmitter and helps me bring it in at 3.8 v per cell every time. Also, I have two 2200 4s smart packs I use in my extra 300, and although they cost me more, they perform much better than the other 2200 4s packs I’ve used. Plus, $40 for a 2200 4s isn’t unreasonable - any decent pack that size will be running you a similar price. I don’t plan on touching the G2 smart packs though - no balance plug is a huge no-no for me.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
so I think that it has something to do with the 3s balance port. If I buy this, then should that work
Maybe. It's possible that you will bypass the problem with you charger. If the charger works with larger cell count batteries, then yes, there is a good chance it will work.

sprzout

Mentor
I guess I’ll toss my opinion in on “smart” technology. I bought the carbon cub s-2 rtf when it came out. It has smart technology however I get battery voltage telemetry whether I’m using a “smart” pack or one of my other packs. It’s super handy just to glance down at the transmitter and helps me bring it in at 3.8 v per cell every time. Also, I have two 2200 4s smart packs I use in my extra 300, and although they cost me more, they perform much better than the other 2200 4s packs I’ve used. Plus, $40 for a 2200 4s isn’t unreasonable - any decent pack that size will be running you a similar price. I don’t plan on touching the G2 smart packs though - no balance plug is a huge no-no for me.

The "no balance plug" is my biggest issue with them as well. Maybe the gen 1 batteries are good, but all I've ever seen in my hobby stores are the Gen 2 batteries, lacking the balance plug.

The other thing I don't like about them is that they're using the new proprietary IC3 connectors, as a way of replacing the EC3 connectors (which, while a male EC3 will fit into a female XT60, I STILL don't like them).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The "no balance plug" is my biggest issue with them as well. Maybe the gen 1 batteries are good, but all I've ever seen in my hobby stores are the Gen 2 batteries, lacking the balance plug.

The other thing I don't like about them is that they're using the new proprietary IC3 connectors, as a way of replacing the EC3 connectors (which, while a male EC3 will fit into a female XT60, I STILL don't like them).
I’m fine with the EC3 or IC3 battery connector (as long as it had a balance plug) but what I hate is when the esc comes with an EC3 or IC3 connector. Most my batteries are XT-60, and it’s happened too many times where I get to the field only to realized I forgot the stupid little adapter... And I don’t believe you can swap the connector out without voiding the warranty. That’s my least favorite thing about the horizon planes - other than that I’ve really liked the ones I have.