Cheap Easy Light DIY Tundra tire

pinchflat

I have not seen this posted here before. I apologize if some one has figured this out before me.
This involves a pool noodle, soda bottle a black balloon (12") and some 1/16 plywood or tough plastic.
Mine weigh .48oz each
I cut the pool noodle to 1 1/4" thick slice with a razor saw. I'm sure you could use a hacksaw or long razor blade.
20150325_201528.jpg
Next cut the top off your soda bottle just below the "ring"
20150325_201503.jpg
Now sand the bottom flush and remove most of the threads so the cap just slips on.
Now cut a disc from the plywood or plastic the size of the "ring" on the clear part and CA glue it in place. This is one side of your hub.
20150325_203754.jpg
Now cut the bottom and the top of a balloon so that it can slip over the pool noodle and the ends line up with the hole.
20150325_203837.jpg
Carefully stretch it over the noodle and even it all out. Line up the open ends of the balloon over the hole of the noodle.
Tuck the excess into the hole. Press in the clear side. Next tuck in the excess around the clear side and glue the cap onto the clear part of the bottle using hotglue. Drill holes for your axle and you are done!
20150325_203957.jpg
20150325_204807.jpg

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I've seen pool noodles before, but the black balloon is a really nice touch that adds that much more realism. Nice job.

bgfireguy92

man if you were to paint thos bottle caps I would swear you just pulled those off a super cub! kudos sir very nice!

Team_Monkey

I have seen and done similar projects made from water pipe insulation and wood dowel. I really like your solution though as they remind me of Trexler tires. I have one small set but larger ones are more expensive than I want to pay for tires.

Nice job!

desert wings

Foam Fan
The tires look great. What is your experience with the tires over time...does the balloon wear okay or do you have to replace it often?
Either way I am going to try this method. Thanks for sharing.