Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, flying (?)

leaded50

Legendary member
well, this is the Mad (Scratch) Builder's Corner..then i can try take it faaar out. :D
In a minor talk on a other post, where we joked around whats flying, ugly or not, i wrote that i had a small model of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but never could get it flying. Somebody said i was "capable" trying too....:ROFLMAO:

After some research, and found good pictures, scaled it up, measured, it seems perhaps possible...(?)
Wings need get a longer wingspan though, and wouldnt be collapsible as on the "original".
It was a pusher type, even it that push in the movie for sure was quite insufficent :p. By a car size (fuselage) at approx 850mm long, it seems possible get a 9" prop at rear though. Then its to find a motor with sufficent specs for best thrust at that size...
Rear of the car body had a "boattail" style, that should be possible get airflow to propeller, and without glass in the window, or it layed down as on picture here, no stop of the airflow. Rear seats must go out, or just be "black painted fake" for motor space.
Rear fender parts seems can be made used as part of elevator control, perhaps together with the front fin as a canard similarity? ..but also it had a bird-style tail that can help in the matter.
- and rear wheels as rudders. No vertical fin though....hopefully can rear wheels help?
Of course all wheels should be turning

Is it doable? well, its possible to try! :) But sorry, forget plans, since this will be total bottom up individual part scratch.
It will for sure take time, and "as always" i wants much resemblance with the original , and seems need "some detailing" to do... and for sure some creative solutions, and changes along the build..
Can i get the build done, flying, it gonna be fun though :ROFLMAO:

91k6SGWq58L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Could you not just leave the back side of the box off for the outlet?

This is going to be so cooool if you can get it done.

Could you maybe find a light plastic car of this style and use that as the starting point?

N0, even plastic cars in such size, as a prop can fit, is too heavy, i need build it in foam, with a few plastic/3D printed parts.
I got sufficient pictures of the car in "close to" 3D view to build it with a good recemblance.
I dont feel a EDF is ok for such a build. Its anyway a "vintage thing", and prop feels better. Sizing to get EDF will give significant changes that from me, will ruin the rear end style.

Eeven by a car sizing at approx 500mm long, with a 50mm EDF , it will need approx the whole height of the car body as outlet.

If ditching the picnic box, i even get better air to the prop at lower part, and can make a tailfin at underside of the rear part of carbody that will keep it more stabile in flight (i suppose)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
This is a horrible idea. ;)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Its a fun, great foamy project!! (right up my alley? )

leaded50

Legendary member
50% wider wingspan... rear of fenders goes together for making a elevator, or parted as elevon?
Tailfin can be faked on use, and mount low enough for prop to go clear... if necessary even get the elevator at rear....

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
its a big possibillity i need help to make a couple 3D print files though, on the front axle. Depends on what i can find, and use as solution