Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, flying (?)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
My friend Leaded builds planes better than my boy Johnny plays the fiddle.

"I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul 'cause I think I'm better than you."

"Well I'll take your bet you son of a bitch 'cause I'm the best there's ever been."

and he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet...
I bet @PsyBorg could play a riff or two of that!!!!

Scotto

Elite member
1 together wing must look like this detachable. View attachment 213018

2. would yoy prefered this profile: View attachment 213019

3. or this: View attachment 213020

2 "planes" cant get in sameheight, because interrence by detach.
or do someone have a better idea??

or somehow trick it to be like this.... View attachment 213025
Still foamboard wings or some kind of mylar or fabric? When it folds out and in flight should it be straight or a little dihedral?

My neighbor had the lower 2/3 of his esophogus cut out and they reattached it really short. He had a port in his chest like a funnel and a tube that bypassed his esophogus straight to his stomach. He said it would take about an hour and a half to "eat" a meal. Which was pouring a tiny bit of liquid down the tube at a time because too much would hurt bad or worse come up. He is much better now and back working. Sounds like you have it worse if the whole tube is bad, but maybe the little funnel tube straight to your stomach would at least be less painful than trying to choke and force down your drinks. That sounds absolutly terrible.

leaded50

Legendary member
up into larynx and down to stomach sack :p Never been a singer, this didnt help either...;)

By wings, i supposed quite straight, some dihedral wouldnt matter though. but preferable by eg foamboard (fabric is cheating isnt it :ROFLMAO: )

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
up into larynx and down to stomach sack :p Never been a singer, this didnt help either...;)

By wings, i supposed quite straight, some dihedral wouldnt matter though. but preferable by eg foamboard (fabric is cheating isnt it :ROFLMAO: )

Dude......If you made the wings out of real fabric & servos that made them fold up under the car, I'd probably go crazy at that point.

It wouldn't need to fly at that point, it'd be the most accurate Chitty ever. Even some full sized mock ups don't fold their wings......

(y)(y)(y)(y)

Brian B

Elite member
I'd say 2 wing sets, one static display and folded, one deployed shape, all FB. Overlaping sections would make decent quazi-spars, maybe glued with continuous upward curving sweep rather than flat. Maybe clear film across top, to avoid boundary separation. I'd vote for the last option on post #80, 4th image. At first glance, it would still appear to fold up.
And go oversize with the wingspan, not scale. Imagine each folding panel section also telescoping out, with some magic shearing web material.
Hope you using a Gyro with this project?

Dude......If you made the wings out of real fabric & servos that made them fold up under the car, I'd probably go crazy at that point.

It wouldn't need to fly at that point, it'd be the most accurate Chitty ever. Even some full sized mock ups don't fold their wings......

(y)(y)(y)(y)
Fun concept. I don't like how fabric doesn't scale very well. I imagine you'd need some sort of fine silk or something so at scale it might act more like heavy canvas.

(fabric is cheating isnt it :ROFLMAO: )
LOL How about building a plane that's deigned to stay stuck to the ground? Is that considered cheating?? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
IMG_2009.JPG

Brian B

Elite member
I'd say 2 wing sets, one static display and folded, one deployed shape, all FB. Overlaping sections would make decent quazi-spars, maybe glued with continuous upward curving sweep rather than flat. Maybe clear film across top, to avoid boundary separation. I'd vote for the last option on post #80, 4th image. At first glance, it would still appear to fold up.
And go oversize with the wingspan, not scale. Imagine each folding panel section also telescoping out, with some magic shearing web material.
Hope you using a Gyro with this project?
16387199051964789491398389458232.jpg

Tench745

Master member
Fun concept. I don't like how fabric doesn't scale very well. I imagine you'd need some sort of fine silk or something so at scale it might act more like heavy canvas.
I think some ripstop nylon would look and feel decently scale. The tough part would be getting any sewn seams small enough not to look wrong. I suppose you could glue it.

I think some ripstop nylon would look and feel decently scale. The tough part would be getting any sewn seams small enough not to look wrong. I suppose you could glue it.
(y) Maybe a little "microscopic" work with some CA. ??
Yes I was thinking there must be a very fine, close weave thin cotton. What do I look like, a seamstress? :LOL: But I think they have cotton that seems almost like silk.
Ah we're just musing anyway. I ain't building no tent canvas flying car.

leaded50

Legendary member
Still foamboard wings or some kind of mylar or fabric? When it folds out and in flight should it be straight or a little dihedral?
You gave me a tip though... if the first "blade" is foamboars, and the rest nylonfabric it could function easy

leaded50

Legendary member
nptfonemuch today, shape been horrible. motor is mounted and tested,running tio ensure clearance enough . Im usin a 2850 1300kv motor ment for 9" by 3S, 1250g thrust and i got space for a 8" 8.5" without rework lowerstab fin,. by 4S that motor aslo should give appox 900g thrust by a 7" prop. That shouldfit great befhing the "children" seat,

Yeaterday tall wheels done, reservetire mounted, the crazy looking snake horn made and installed, and outside gearing/brake (pics later)

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
(y) Maybe a little "microscopic" work with some CA. ??
Yes I was thinking there must be a very fine, close weave thin cotton. What do I look like, a seamstress? :LOL: But I think they have cotton that seems almost like silk.
Ah we're just musing anyway. I ain't building no tent canvas flying car.

Well i upholsrtred my own 50´Chevy with tuck and roll + some special, so a sewingmachine aint unknown :LOL: Thin nylon as in umbreallas? perhaps.

leaded50

Legendary member
Thas my sdea now!! electric motor/servodriven detach/out. Use foamboard on first part nylon on thre others....
Working with a 3D printed a lady and driver figure....

Last edited:
Something silk, or that acts like silk, maybe.
Or maybe something like a fine cotton dress shirt, that isn't as roll-y/slippery as silk, would seem more like heavy tent canvas at scale.
I mean like something that very well could wrinkle, and I don't think silk likes to wrinkle much.
But I might be completely wrong. I don't like your dumb car project anyway. ;):ROFLMAO:

leaded50

Legendary member
Something silk, or that acts like silk, maybe.
Or maybe something like a fine cotton dress shirt, that isn't as roll-y/slippery as silk, would seem more like heavy tent canvas at scale.
I mean like something that very well could wrinkle, and I don't think silk likes to wrinkle much.
But I might be completely wrong. I don't like your dumb car project anyway. ;):ROFLMAO:

i was "stupid" enough to try it with a 7 x5x3blade prop now....and of course tried tokeep it at the table when run off at speed..... just two finger get damaged, and just minor cuts...just bloody :censored:.. but i get estimated that motor and prop is enough though :ROFLMAO::LOL:

750mm body (fuselage without the rear and front stabilizers, and 850mm wingspan at max, that should go ok !

i ordered nylon fabric ment for umbrellas. One company in Norway didntwanna sell me just the fabric, because had a agreement of only ready once... must be a fantastic company i told them, who never get any error... specialy since they had extra offer with wrong prints on ;) sc*** them.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
the poor driver (in print) needed some companion to keep it up....(put togetheerr from three different ladys... + selfmade arm.
A blondie is never wrong? :LOL::ROFLMAO: (should i bought the best 3D print just files, i wanted for the two grownups and two kids... approx $470 =N E V E R )
2x frontaxles with leafspring and fastners in metal for Tamiya trucks= approx $35
DSC_1257.JPG

Here you can also see the the mounted sprarewheel, and snake-horn.
3bladeprop and the colored elevator...
DSC_1259.JPG

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
the poor driver (in print) needed some companion to keep it up....(put togetheerr from three different ladys... + selfmade arm.
A blondie is never wrong? :LOL::ROFLMAO: (should i bought the best 3D print just files, i wanted for the two grownups and two kids... approx $470 =N E V E R )
2x frontaxles with leafspring and fastners in metal for Tamiya trucks= approx $35
View attachment 213188
Here you can also see the the mounted sprarewheel, and snake-horn.
3bladeprop and the colored elevator...
View attachment 213189

How did you do the foil so pristine without any wrinkles? I cant get foil off the roll without it getting all crinkled. Even aluminum taped gets then when removing the backing to stick it to something for me.