Conventional use for transmitter switches?

Foamforce

What are the conventional uses of switches and knobs on transmitters for airplanes?

For example, I just learned that the top left switch is conventionally used as the kill switch. I was previously using the top right switch, but I’m going to change it over because I want to use conventional controls as much as possible in case I fly someone else’s planes, or they fly mine.

Are there other conventional uses for the switches and knobs? FWIW, I use a FlySky I6X which has three two position switches, one three position switch, and two knobs.

Bricks

Master member
There is no set standard my motor kill switch on my DX9 is on the right and on my Radiomaster tx16s is on the left matter of convenience and how the transmitter fits in your hands. Put your switch controls on any switch's that makes sense to you not someone else.

Foamforce

There is no set standard my motor kill switch on my DX9 is on the right and on my Radiomaster tx16s is on the left matter of convenience and how the transmitter fits in your hands. Put your switch controls on any switch's that makes sense to you not someone else.

Well that’s kind of the point. I would like to have a similar layout to other people as possible. It’s the same reason that cars all have the brakes on the left and gas on the right. If I hop in someone else’s car, I can safely operate it without accidentally stomping on the gas and driving through my garage door.

It’s interesting that my information about the kill switch appears to be wrong already though. How about we all list our typical control arrangements? Maybe there will be some common patterns.

For me:
  • Left switch: Trainer/Buddy box mode
  • Second to left: Dual rate
  • Both knobs: Unused
  • Second to right (3 position): Flaps
  • Right: Kill switch

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
I set my switches up to be comfortable to me, not so someone else can fly my plane.

If I fly someone else's plane, I don't touch the switches unless told to buy the tx owner.

That way it doesn't matter.

Foamforce

I set my switches up to be comfortable to me, not so someone else can fly my plane.

If I fly someone else's plane, I don't touch the switches unless told to buy the tx owner.

Let’s say that you’re flying your friend’s plane and they said to use switch C for flaps and and switch D was the kill switch. So the owner told you how to operate it as in your example. So you’re coming in for a landing and you instinctively hit switch D for flaps because that’s how it’s set up on your own plane. Boom, crash. So even in your example, it’s still useful to have similar controls.

So what are your normal controls?

joelspangler

I've moved to using a 3 way switch as my kill switch on planes and for arming for quads. My logic is that it's really easy to bump it out of the middle position in either direction to disable the motors. It's much harder to move the 3 position switch to the middle. It's also much less likely to get bumped on accidently. As for placement, my kill is in the top right (SG on my radiomaster tx16s). I use SD as rates (high med low), and SA for modes (Gyro on/off)

joelspangler

I should also mention that I have a few other transmitters with layouts that are slightly different. I bought some colored switch covers, and have color coded things on everything. Red = kill switch, Yellow = Rates, Green = mode. I used other colors like black and white for things like landing gear or parachute drop mechanisms.

Foamforce

I should also mention that I have a few other transmitters with layouts that are slightly different. I bought some colored switch covers, and have color coded things on everything. Red = kill switch, Yellow = Rates, Green = mode. I used other colors like black and white for things like landing gear or parachute drop mechanisms.

Good idea. Particularly the red cover for the kill switch. Very intuitive.

Tench745

Master member
A little of this depends on what transmitter you have, what you're used to, where your TX has which kind of switch, and what mode you fly.
I fly with a Taranis X9D+, I have long fingers, and I use a neck strap so it's less of an issue to reach for further switches.
My Tx has four switches on each side, plus a slider and a dial as illustrated below.
1671136527021.png

Switch SF is a 2-position switch and SH is a momentary switch. Because of that I use SF for gear (only needs 2 positions) and SH for buddy-boxing (gives me back control as soon as I let go).
All the other switches are 3-position switches.

Throttle cut is on SE. I would have liked to put throttle cut on SF, but it makes more sense for gear to be there and I try to keep switch layouts consistent between models.
SA is flaps
SD is my rate switch.
S2 is my volume control.

Most of the rest I don't use, but I have one model set up with flaps on the left slider. And a very few times when I was experimenting with mixes, I've used the right slider to adjust the mix on the fly. After I was happy with the mix I set that value permanently and eliminated the slider from it.

tamuct01

If you use an Open/Edge TX transmitter the switches and knobs can be programmed to do just about anything. For all my models, the 2-pos switch is the throttle kill switch/motor arm. I also use one switch for low/med/hi rates. The rest get used for all sorts of things. On one of my most complicated models switches are used for: gear up/down, flaps up/down, air brake up/down, lights on/off, battery voltage telemetry data (reads off cell or pack voltages), stabilization modes on the FrSky S8R, pan/tilt servo modes, etc. The sky is really the limit on what you can do with the extra switches and knobs.

Bricks

Master member
If you use an Open/Edge TX transmitter the switches and knobs can be programmed to do just about anything. For all my models, the 2-pos switch is the throttle kill switch/motor arm. I also use one switch for low/med/hi rates. The rest get used for all sorts of things. On one of my most complicated models switches are used for: gear up/down, flaps up/down, air brake up/down, lights on/off, battery voltage telemetry data (reads off cell or pack voltages), stabilization modes on the FrSky S8R, pan/tilt servo modes, etc. The sky is really the limit on what you can do with the extra switches and knobs.

Same goes for the Spektrum DX series and up being I have both, the Spektrum is still a lot easier to program. The big plus of Edge-OT is the global functions and now the touch screen, which is taking me some time to get the hang of. Since I hate touch screens any way but I am working on it.

Edited to ADD The multi module is about the biggest plus to Edge-OTx and now ExpressRLS which I am working on getting it up and running..

Bricks

Master member

Exactly I don`t care if someone else knows which switch is which, if someone else is going to fly my plane leave the d-- switches alone. And if someone else would be flying my plane I would be standing next to them to either tell them or move the switches for them.

tamuct01

Exactly I don`t care if someone else knows which switch is which, if someone else is going to fly my plane leave the d-- switches alone. And if someone else would be flying my plane I would be standing next to them to either tell them or move the switches for them.

One thing I've always done with my Open/Edge TX transmitters is to setup each switch to play the vocal clues when used. That way I can grab the transmitter, flip a few switches, and she tells me what each of them does. I don't have to remember how exactly I set it up when I'm out on the field.

L Edge

Master member
What are the conventional uses of switches and knobs on transmitters for airplanes?

For example, I just learned that the top left switch is conventionally used as the kill switch. I was previously using the top right switch, but I’m going to change it over because I want to use conventional controls as much as possible in case I fly someone else’s planes, or they fly mine.

Are there other conventional uses for the switches and knobs? FWIW, I use a FlySky I6X which has three two position switches, one three position switch, and two knobs.

Part one being are their standard uses of conventional switches. Like everyone else, no, there isn't.

But you forgot that there is a hidden point when you are talking flying someone's else's or other's flying yours.

Let's say you want to fly my plane, I like 5 to 10% expo. You fly say 30 to 50% expo. What could happen?
Ten to one, you won't get far in flight.
When you get to be an instructor or chief examiner, then you can do it.

Piotrsko

Master member
I wouldn't attempt to fly one of @L Edge planes. Pretty sure I'm not good enough. He could fly my stuff all day long but get pretty bored pretty fast AND if I let him fly one actually would expect him to wring it out.

He definately dont get to play with settings other than a couple of trim clicks here and there AFTER he asks and I agree. Betting he wouldn't even ask.

Read the third line in my comments

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Are there other conventional uses for the switches and knobs?...
+1 on no standard.

You should have your own standard, make them the same from plane to plane.
You should also pay careful attention to your servo layout, make it the same from plane to plane. This will keep the channel reversing the same. If you accidentally pick the wrong model, your plane will be flyable. If a servo is reversed, you will crash.

Bricks

Master member
+1 on no standard.

You should also pay careful attention to your servo layout, make it the same from plane to plane. This will keep the channel reversing the same. If you accidentally pick the wrong model, your plane will be flyable. If a servo is reversed, you will crash.

IF you have a modern radio not possible unless rebound to a different plane, old 33 72 radios in a heart beat.

Foamforce

+1 on no standard.

Yeah, it seems to be the consensus that there are no standards. That’s too bad, but at least I don’t have to go reprogram my 10+ models. 🙂

Regarding the servo arrangement, my transmitter binds individually for each model, so if I have the wrong model selected it just won’t work. But yeah, it would be nice if I didn’t have to do reversing. I generally just follow the plans, but I’ll see if I can make adjustments on future builds. I was thinking about the Nutball as an example. I think if I swapped the rudder and elevator servos, then I wouldn’t need any reversals.