Convince me to come! :)

I was at FliteFest last year, and I really enjoyed it! It was a great experience that I'll always remember.

The costs of registration however have increased significantly since last year, and for a college student like myself, that's a reasonable concern.

I've looked for ways to cut down on the cost, but I can't imagine traveling from Wisconsin and not staying the whole weekend, and I also can't imagine not camping on site. :) And just to fly at the event is almost $50! (I know that's probably cheaper than a lot of other R/C events, but still...)

So my question then is, what will be new and different from last year? In short, convince me to come!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I'll tell you what. Last year, between the kickstarter campaign, gas, food, camping etc... I spent slightly less than $300. If I were to stick to my tight budget this year I think I could do it all again for about $350. For a major event this really is a very cheap price. Travel from MD to OH was long and arduous. Pittsburgh really took a toll on my planes coming and going. You have to remember that I have two kids with a mortgage and school loan payments. I used to only do big events every other year. FTFF changed that for me. Its a whole other level than any other event that I've attended. Don't get me wrong, Warbirds over Delaware is a fantastic experience but FTFF has you engaged the entire time. If its solely cost you are concerned about... start saving your pennies.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
what 45$ what happened i wanted to go to 2016 but im re thinking if this if the same price stays for 2016 come on

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Okay, here we go. (My family has heard this a couple times) You get to fly so often, and then meet new people and play pass the transmitter. You get to talk with people that you already know from the forums, do crazy awesome builds. Even simply walking around is amazing. The simple experience of talking and walking and flying with people that fly like there is no tomorrow.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Well, there you go. Now you have to come *whispers* okay somebody get the brownie mix and 5x5 prop with a 2200kv.

For some inexplicable reason, I still have not made a RC part powered immersion blender. It would be fun, even though the prop would fling batter far and wide. A revolutionary new way of getting the kitchen messy.:D

Reason? Cookies!!

Oh. Boom. Right there. Reason enough. I'm coming. :D :p

Well, I'll tell you what. Last year, between the kickstarter campaign, gas, food, camping etc... I spent slightly less than $300. If I were to stick to my tight budget this year I think I could do it all again for about $350. For a major event this really is a very cheap price. Travel from MD to OH was long and arduous. Pittsburgh really took a toll on my planes coming and going. You have to remember that I have two kids with a mortgage and school loan payments. I used to only do big events every other year. FTFF changed that for me. Its a whole other level than any other event that I've attended. Don't get me wrong, Warbirds over Delaware is a fantastic experience but FTFF has you engaged the entire time. If its solely cost you are concerned about... start saving your pennies.

I think you're right. If I budget it well, the cost really won't be that much more than last year.

A quick spreadsheet tells me that I'm looking at about $300 for me and my fiancee. (Wife actually by the time FF rolls around!)

FFCost2.png

Okay, here we go. (My family has heard this a couple times) You get to fly so often, and then meet new people and play pass the transmitter. You get to talk with people that you already know from the forums, do crazy awesome builds. Even simply walking around is amazing. The simple experience of talking and walking and flying with people that fly like there is no tomorrow.

Yes... I could be forgetting the beauty of just flying on warm summer days, and crazy builds, and fellowship. :)

That's really what's all about. :)

Attachments

• FFCost.png
    FFCost.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 164

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Don't be a chicken. All the cool people are doing it!

'Xcept for me, AFAIK.*

You should go - $300 is cheap, compared to flying to the US from South America ;)

*(A recent job oportunity I got may or may not change this)

If it's only going to run you 300, GO.

I'm out deep in the Pacific Northwest and between thee travel and family I'm limited this year. I'm going to see if I can carve something out for 2016, but I may end up having to wait till 2017. If it was just going to cost me 300 and time I could justify it.

*Note odds are I'd drive hauling a trailer with my planes in it. So yeah may not be cheap but it's an excuse for a cross country trip and at that point I'd be able to give extra justification of visiting family in the Midwest along the way.

Njfoam

If it's anything like last year, it will be the best $300 you spend all summer! Trust me the atmosphere alone is worth it. The people were great, you can fly all day , (and into the night) or just walk around and talk to hundreds of people who are just as enthusiastic about the hobby as you are ....

mesolost

For some inexplicable reason, I still have not made a RC part powered immersion blender. It would be fun, even though the prop would fling batter far and wide. A revolutionary new way of getting the kitchen messy.:D

I've made mixers from legos ^_^ but a 2300kv motor even on a 1S =O your askin for a mess! Use a narrow deep mixing bowl at least.