Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
No, I did not build this plane for 4S...no hard spar in the wing (just the stock foam-block "spars"), only 5-gram servos, non-switchmode ESC. Like I said, I originally intended to use a smaller motor on this plane. (I already have three 'funfighters' that I fly on 4S anyway) However, the motor I did use in my FT mini Corsair gives better power on 3S than a 'funfighter' motor on 3S. It's plenty fast.

Oh. Best to get away with as little power as you can (as is the case with most other things in R/C), and to reduce weight rather than increase power for improved performance.

Great job with the build!

:)

russj48

russj48
Mighty Mini Corsair

Just completed my Mini Corsair, hope to maiden it soon!

photo 3A.jpg

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
russj48 - Nice job dressing out your mini Corsair! What kind of spray paint did you use?...Krylon? Did you do the decorations mostly by masking the paint, or some kind of printout/glue-on? I don't see aileron servo horns...did you orient them sticking out the bottom of the wing instead of the top?

StarLite - That motor is a lower-Kv version of the motor that I put in my mini Corsair (regular size plans, not upscaled). Because of the lower Kv and consequent need for a bigger-diameter prop, I tend to agree that an upscaled version would be more ideal. But it also depends on what type of performance you are looking for.

russj48

russj48
Mini Corsair

The paint is RUST-OLIUM on the top and Crylon Blue/Grey on the bottom

The arrows were masking tape and just pealed them off for the white. Then emblems are printed and glued on. I plan to finish the cowling with a checker board treatment. The build was from plans and a bit finicky but it all came together and turned out very nice.

l

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Does the Corsair need right hand thrust when building the mini pod? It doesn't mention it in the video.

The pod has the thrust angle built in. Just mount the firewall to the angled side and it's all set for you.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
He doesn't say it in the video, but he definitely is using the right-thrust side of the pod in the video. For example if you look around 47:38 in the video, as he pushes the pod into the pod mount piece, the right side of the firewall definitely crosses the lip of the pod mount piece first. And as I mentioned uptopic, I used the right-thrust per the design in my Corsair and it doesn't have any torque-roll problems.

edit: Crafty - I think what he was getting at is that when they first introduced the mini pod, they said that sometimes they would use the neutral side for no right thrust, and sometimes they would call for using the angled side...and that the Corsair video doesn't say which per se.

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
My "first draft" of the FT MM Old Crow P51 paper replacement kit.
OC1.jpg
Already made adjustments for V2, More pics of V1 here.

A.Loiske

Corsair ready, maiden maybe tomorrow. I am not sure about cg though. I have marked the spots, but having trouble hoh to test it. I put my fingers on the marks, and if i tilt plane just a bit to front, it will fall on it´s nose. If I tilt it back, it will fall on its tail. Suggestions? It´s easier to balance upside down, but how i measure the spots, because top of the wing is curvy? IMG_20151228_205946.jpg

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
It's usually easier to check the CG of a low wing plane if it's upside down. Flip it over and put your fingers where the marks should be.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Just put a ruler across the top of the wing, and mark off 38mm on both wings (photo). Then balance the plane upside-down at those marks. I like to balance my planes with a homemade device consisting of two pencils embedded in a hunk of 2x2, eraser-side-up (photo #2). I have more than two holes in the 2x2, so I can space the pencils at different spans as needed. The erasers provide some friction against slippage, so if the plane is anywhere close to CG, and you are balancing a low-wing plane upside-down (or a high-wing plane right-side-up) the plane won't slip off.

Years ago I bought a "Great Planes CG machine" for about 30 bucks. It was a pain to use, and was no more accurate (if anything it was less accurate). So I went back to my homemade pencils-in-a-stick device.

Attachments

• balance_Corsair1.jpg
    balance_Corsair1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 6
  • balance_Corsair2.jpg
    balance_Corsair2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 7

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Well, i can stop building mine now, this blows what I was thinking out of the water. Nice work.

Oh no Captain B, soon you will build this plane...when I post the printable PDF's later this weekend. ;)
If you have a Staples nearby, you can have this plane printed for a little over $4. Six 11X17 singles sided prints is all it will take. And thank you sir.

A.Loiske

Thanks herk1, exellent explanation with perfect pictures. No my cg is good, well it was very close to start with. I added 5 gram lead-weight under the power pod..

I had 2 failed takeoffs, torgue to the left was too much. controls didn´t doo anything, I think it had not enough time and speed to get any air below it wings. Just two meters, left and down and crash.. Maybe a little less throttle and harder throw?

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
It's hard to tell from your photo, since it's mostly from the side, but did you use the right-thrust side of the power pod? With the recommended right-thrust angle, my mini Corsair has no torque-roll issue on launch. Sometimes what seems to be torque roll can be due to a release technique whereby finger on one side release a little earlier than finger on the other side, inducing a roll like a baseball pitcher releasing a ball in a way that makes it spin. Which is one reason I like to do the underhand launch technique -- it's less susceptible to that problem.

A.Loiske

I did use the right-thrust side of the power pod. I tried to throw it over my head, I´ll try underhand next.

It was minus 15 degrees celsius outside on flying day, and quite a chilling breeze, so I was soooo freezing that maybe also my patience wasn´t so great. :D