Corsair/Mustang - FT Mighty Minis

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Rasterize, love the old crow. Can't wait to see the PDFs. The mini mustang and corsair are my next builds

Thanks MrWis! I've hit a few delays but I think I will be posting the PDF's in 48hrs if all goes well.

gnostef

Very cool Rasterize! Started building the Mustang last night and was imagining how to finish it off but, after seeing what you've done here I think I'll wait on the PDFs . Just like to say thanks in advance!

gnostef

Downloaded both versions yesterday, beautiful job man!! I printed out 8.5x11 first then cut out. I had Staples do the 11x17 prints which turned out much nicer, better color and less pieces to cut out. In my opinion it was well worth the 6 bucks to have Staples print the files. I would've saved myself a lot of time for sure! Going to start building tonight! Thanks again!!

Rasterize

Mentor
Downloaded both versions yesterday, beautiful job man!! I printed out 8.5x11 first then cut out. I had Staples do the 11x17 prints which turned out much nicer, better color and less pieces to cut out. In my opinion it was well worth the 6 bucks to have Staples print the files. I would've saved myself a lot of time for sure! Going to start building tonight! Thanks again!!

Thanks gnostef! Music to my ears! I agree 100% with having them printed in the 11X17 format. $6 of print plus $2 of foamboard is going to give you a great looking bird. I posted new pics of my current build here. She looks hot with a spinner! :)

Sneeky7

Almost done building--Which do you guys think I should pick for my power pod? The Allison or the supercharged Merlin?
:D 20160123101216_1.jpg

mudman1959

My FT Mini Mustang is finally starting to come together... A few mods as you can see. Still working on it... Mudman1959 IMG_2332.JPG

Last edited:

mudman1959

I took the top off of this GWS P51... It flew Ok but the foam was real brittle and it did not stand up to the "Landings with Style". It donated it's electronics to other projects but I kept the airframe as a display model... until it donated it's upper half for the FT Mini P51. Maybe this one will fly better and last longer. I need to paint it yet and then add the stickers. I should look Ok when done... Mudman1959
http://store.gwsus.com/shop/airplane/other-gws-air-planes/gws-mustang-free-fly/

GWS.JPG

Last edited:

slandon

Hey Mudman, thanks for the info. I'm building one using the Old Crow skins from Rasterize and I was hoping to put a clear canopy on it.

A.Loiske

How are those landing gears attached to the wings is see on those pictures? Thought would be a good idea to put landing gears on my corsair.. Is the technigue showed maybe on some build video of FT-guys?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
It's no Old Crow, but I finished the paint job on my mini-Mustang today.

The white paint melted the foam a bit and put some wrinkles into the wings. Ah well. I learned before I built the Corsair.

I have to wait for the weather a few days to try flying it so I thought I would post a photo of it before I crash it. :)

P5140001.JPG

Rasterize

Mentor
FT Mini Mustang "Paul I"

Made a new Mini Mustang...

Paul I 1.jpg

More here.

newnoodle

Hello guys, I am a foreigner and I also a newbie.
I would like to build my first rc airplane (Mini Mustang) but I have some problems that I need your help.
1, Can I use this motor for Mini mustang: EMAX CF2805 2840KV Outrunner Brushless Motor for rc airplane + free shipping
http://s.aliexpress.com/AfqI3eAj
2, Since I am not in the United States so I dont know which foamboard should I use for this plane, in my country there are 2 kinds of it, Depron 2.5 mm and 5mm?
3, What glue should I use? Hot glue will smelt(burn) the foamboard? What about A&B (Epoxy)?
Longing for your answer!

Zero9r

Im building the Corsair tomorrow. Im going to use some motors & ESC left over from one of my crashed Quads. I also have a ton of 6045R props (don't know why I always seem to only brake the other props) SO I was going to use those props and use the corresponding motor spinning the opposite direction then normal. I did this with the Arrow and it works great. But unlike the arrow the Corsair uses the right hand thrust angle. I guess I will need to change this and give it a LEFT hand Thrust angle? Is my thinking Correct?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hello guys, I am a foreigner and I also a newbie.
I would like to build my first rc airplane (Mini Mustang) but I have some problems that I need your help.
1, Can I use this motor for Mini mustang: EMAX CF2805 2840KV Outrunner Brushless Motor for rc airplane + free shipping
http://s.aliexpress.com/AfqI3eAj
2, Since I am not in the United States so I dont know which foamboard should I use for this plane, in my country there are 2 kinds of it, Depron 2.5 mm and 5mm?
3, What glue should I use? Hot glue will smelt(burn) the foamboard? What about A&B (Epoxy)?
Longing for your answer!

Hey Newnoodle,
That motor might be a little too big. I'm not familiar with aliexpress but I think they would carry a similar motor to the one in the FT store.I haven't built the mini mustang yet, but I think you could use 5 mm Depron with packing tape covering. Hot glue should work, just test it by gluing some scraps together first. The fuselage plan will need to be cut out without the a and b folds, just cut all the way through the score cuts. Once you have the parts cut out, glue them together and support the glue joint with packing tape on the outside. For the wing, there's a trick, the Depron can bend one direction much better than the other, find which direction this is, then cut out the wing so the span is in line with the way it bent. Then cover the outside with packing tape and score the inside by the plans and the build video.

As to glue, uhu-Por is very good for Depron if you have access to it, but hot glue will work as well.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Kian

Could you guys post some CAD plans?

I was wondering if you guys could post some autocad plans for your scratch builds so we can cut it out with a laser?