Curved/Tapered Leading Edge Wing with Foam Board

snetty

I want to build a wing with a curved leading edge, so that it tapers away at the end. I can't think of a relatively easy way of doing this in foam board, but I figured it must be a question that's come up before (search didn't yield any results) on the flite test forums.

It doesn't have to be a tight curve, and I realise that I can trim the non-folded, end-part of the wing, like the spitfire wings do, so I can give a vague illusion, but I'd like to do better.

So has anybody figured out a way to do this, or to at least give the illusion?

dgrigor02

If you want curves you will have to sandwhich the two pieces together with glue, there is not a way to do a curves with folds. Only leading edge parts that will be able to fold is straight or angled. Check out some of nerdnics builds to see the sandwiching technique he uses.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Snetty, is there a particular wing you are trying to emulate? If you point me in the direction of the wing you want, I could work on it a little.

dgrigor02 has probably the best advice for achieving a curved leading edge. Two separate pieces joined rather than one cut and folded.

Paul-H

A simple way would be to glue the upper and lower sheets together along the LE line, one the clue has fully set, cut the LE shape and then trim the LE with a preformed balsa LE then sand to finish, that will ad strength and not much extra weight.

Paul

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah a folded curve isn't going to work with DTF. I've done curved leading edges by doing using two separate pieces, beveled at the leading edge like normal. You just have to joint the leading edge last. Use something to help guide and form the edge properly that you can use to mold the leading edge as it dries.

MikeBg

After doing all that you can round the leading edge by cutting back the paper 1/4" top and bottom then sand the foam to the desired shape. Then if you like add the paper back with a strip of paper and spray glue.

MikeBg

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I want to build a wing with a curved leading edge, so that it tapers away at the end. I can't think of a relatively easy way of doing this in foam board, but I figured it must be a question that's come up before (search didn't yield any results) on the flite test forums.

It doesn't have to be a tight curve, and I realise that I can trim the non-folded, end-part of the wing, like the spitfire wings do, so I can give a vague illusion, but I'd like to do better.

So has anybody figured out a way to do this, or to at least give the illusion?

it's been done before, sort of a mix of what people are suggesting.
http://www.stenulson.net/rcflight/soarbrd4.htm
soarbd4c.jpg
soarbd4d.jpg

snetty

Thanks guys that's helpful, it appears that a combination of straight sections glue together, and glueing rather than folding (as above) is the approach I'm after.

As for what type of wing, it's a little adventurous.. a slope soaring pterodactyl and then a seagull. Obviously as a glider, the wing actually needs lift, otherwise I've seen a pterodactyl foamy that I could replicate very easily. I'm still going to use the basic design as my inspiration, but it'll be a proper wing rather than sheet foam.

I'll obviously be using a lot of FT inspired build techniques, so if I manage to come up with a design that's relatively easily replicated, I'll certainly share it.